PDA

View Full Version : Single speed hub

Rueda Tropical
04-08-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm converting a frame to single speed. I see Chris King has a very nice single speed hub. I could also install a Wheels Manufacturing single speed converter on the very nice Campagnolo hubs I already have.

I'm sure the King is excellent and has a price to match -any drawbacks going with the WM Campy conversion kit? Anyone used one?

Rueda Tropical
04-08-2012, 06:12 AM
I was just looking at the Chris King single speed specs for center to flange

Rear hub single speed : 31.2 - 36.2

Rear hub cassette hubs: 18.9 - 34.6 / 17.2 - 37.3

Looks like the single speed will build a lot better rear wheel which would look a lot better without a mass of spacers.

oldpotatoe
04-08-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm converting a frame to single speed. I see Chris King has a very nice single speed hub. I could also install a Wheels Manufacturing single speed converter on the very nice Campagnolo hubs I already have.

I'm sure the King is excellent and has a price to match -any drawbacks going with the WM Campy conversion kit? Anyone used one?

Or go to a bike shop with that drawer full of old cogset spacers, a cog, some spacers, a lock ring and ............bobs yer uncle.

Bob Loblaw
04-08-2012, 02:07 PM
This is what I did. Basically free as I already had an old cassette with the cog I wanted.

BL
Or go to a bike shop with that drawer full of old cogset spacers, a cog, some spacers, a lock ring and ............bobs yer uncle.

Marburg
04-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Converting an existing hub to SS will also be a lot cheaper if you're just "flirting" with single speed. Twould be hard to spend $500 on a bespoke SS wheel if you're just trying it out.

On the other hand, once you're committed, the sky's the limit!

Merlmabase
04-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Go to your local bike co-op and look for a quality old freewheel hub. Re-space the rear axle, and boom - SS rear hub for something like $5.

Then take all that money you're dying to spend, and drop it on a White Industries freewheel.

6mt
04-13-2012, 12:43 AM
white industry eccentric hub is a nice choice as well

stausty
04-13-2012, 12:18 PM
One of the benefits of single-speed conversions are that they are (at least supposed to be) cheap. Even the Formula hubs work just fine for this. Or spacers and a cog on your current freehub.

EricEstlund
04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
When I was a shop guy I did LOADS of cheap conversions. That said, if you want to go whole hog and buy a great hub, don't feel like it isn't justified. Having a great rear wheel that is easy to install and flawless in it's use isn't to be taken for granted.

King, Paul, White, Odom, Phil, Royce, etc. are all great choices. Pick the one that speaks to you- they all build into fantastic wheels.

Brian Smith
04-13-2012, 05:48 PM
I was just looking at the Chris King single speed specs for center to flange

Rear hub single speed : 31.2 - 36.2

Rear hub cassette hubs: 18.9 - 34.6 / 17.2 - 37.3

Looks like the single speed will build a lot better rear wheel which would look a lot better without a mass of spacers.

Getting a zero- or low-dish rear wheel out of the ordeal would be a chief benefit, in my book, so I'd advocate the new hub versus a spacer stack.
I'm sure the King hub works pretty well, too.