PDA

View Full Version : First time for everything

thenewguy11
04-07-2012, 02:39 PM
For the first time ever, i snapped a chain. I was rolling away from a stoplight at the base of Lookout Mtn and boom. I wish I could say it was because i put out 2000 watts from a standing start but alas that isn't the case. It was a Record 11sp chain with maybe 750-1000 miles on it. Fortunately, i was able roll almost all the way to a bike shop in Golden and they hooked me up with a new chain so I could continue my ride. They also said the chain had no stretch so I don't think I was lax in the maintenance department. Anyway, it makes me think that I'll need to look at road serviceable chains for my as yet nonexistent rando bike.

firerescuefin
04-07-2012, 02:44 PM
For the first time ever, i snapped a chain. I was rolling away from a stoplight at the base of Lookout Mtn and boom. I wish I could say it was because i put out 2000 watts from a standing start but alas that isn't the case. It was a Record 11sp chain with maybe 750-1000 miles on it. Fortunately, i was able roll almost all the way to a bike shop in Golden and they hooked me up with a new chain so I could continue my ride. They also said the chain had no stretch so I don't think I was lax in the maintenance department. Anyway, it makes me think that I'll need to look at road serviceable chains for my as yet nonexistent rando bike.

Multi-tool (w/chainbreaker) + quicklink....I don't leave home without it after a similar experience...glad to hear you still have your teeth/wrist/collarbone in order.

Louis
04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Did you do a forensic examination? Was the failure at a link where you had re-joined the chain, or at a random spot within the chain? If it's the latter Campy owes you an apology.

thenewguy11
04-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Honestly, I'm not really sure if it was a regular link or not. It worked flawlessly to that point, no skipping or jumping. I'll chalk it up to wear and move on although I was fortunate it happened where it did. Otherwise it could have been a long walk or wait for a ride. I'll need to invest in a quick link set up for sure.

Louis
04-07-2012, 03:16 PM
It was a Record 11sp chain with maybe 750-1000 miles on it.

I'll chalk it up to wear and move on

I don't want to make too big a deal out of this, but if it was due to wear, and that wear happened after 750-1000 miles, that means that in order to be safe you'd have to replace the chain after about 500-600 miles. Seems like a pretty low number to me.

Hopefully it broke at a spot where it had been re-joined. Going to a quick-link will solve that problem, and you'll get more mileage out of the next chain. (I'm not a Campy 11sp chain expert, but I assume someone makes quick-links for that.)

Good luck

toosahn
04-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Multi-tool (w/chainbreaker) + quicklink....I don't leave home without it after a similar experience...glad to hear you still have your teeth/wrist/collarbone in order.

Breaking a Campy 10 or 11 speed chain with a puny little multi-tool chainbreaker is going to be a painful experience (mostly for your fingers and thumb).

How was the Campy 11 chain shortened and rejoined? Was it done as per Campy instruction using their 11sp specific chain tool with rivet-peening feature or using a Park Tool with the necessary rivet-peening tool?

As others have recommended, I would just using a KMC Missing link next time.

Good luck!

firerescuefin
04-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Breaking a Campy 10 or 11 speed chain with a puny little multi-tool chainbreaker is going to be a painful experience (mostly for your fingers and thumb).

How was the Campy 11 chain shortened and rejoined? Was it done as per Campy instruction using their 11sp specific chain tool with rivet-peening feature or using a Park Tool with the necessary rivet-peening tool?

Good luck!

Crank Brothers Pima does so without too much effort...certainly beats making a phone call.

eweg
04-07-2012, 04:27 PM
I had a chain break and catch in my lovely durace rear derailler, which promptly bent. A most expensive chain failure.

thenewguy11
04-07-2012, 04:35 PM
I was lucky to be moving at basically 0 mph when it broke so not much chance for it to do damage. And maybe I'm underestimating its life - could have been north of 1000 (maybe well north). I'm just not sure. But I've ridden chains for years without them breaking - and this one wasn't particularly worn according to the bike shop.

AngryScientist
04-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I was lucky to be moving at basically 0 mph when it broke so not much chance for it to do damage. And maybe I'm underestimating its life - could have been north of 1000 (maybe well north). I'm just not sure. But I've ridden chains for years without them breaking - and this one wasn't particularly worn according to the bike shop.

the likely break point was where the chain was joined, probably not a perfect installation. not blaming anyone of course, but it's something to keep an eye on for the next chain.

konstantkarma
04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Did you roll all the way back to Big Ring Cyclery from LO Mountain? They saved me once when I lost my helmet.

fourflys
04-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Good luck!

just another reason I went away from Campy... beautiful, but like a high maintenance girlfriend... at least for me anyway...

benitosan1972
04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Ive heard that SR11 chains were only made to last 1k,
which is way too expensive & flimsy for me, as I can rack up
that kind of mileage in 2-3 weeks depending on the season. No thanks.

firerescuefin
04-08-2012, 02:05 AM

You've heard wrong.:)

oldpotatoe
04-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Heard wrong. 11s chains don't wear any faster than 10s chains or 9s chains.

I'm betting it was not hooked up properly the first time or joined, at the new outboard links, broken, cleaned and put back together with a new pin, but old plates=break.

All modern chains need to be hooked together and maintained properly..all of them. If you don't use the supplied link with KMC, Wipperman or sram, just push a pin back in-it'll break. If you do the same with shimano, it'll break. Seen all of these on bikes that come into the shop...some even hooked together by so called 'bike shop mechanics'.....Same for Campagnolo.