PDA

View Full Version : Another Arione Thread

scrooge
08-31-2005, 07:05 AM
Yes, I know this has been talked about before and I have done a search but was not able to find the information I wanted.

I've got an Arione on my new bike and after 600-700 miles, still don't feel comfortable on it. I felt the need to get out of the saddle before I was done with my 20 mile spin last night (lots of crotch pressure) and just don't get it. But worst of all is the numbness in my parts on medium-long rides (need I say more?).

So what's the trick to setting these up? Some say level, some say slightly down (1 degree?). Help!

PS: I believe this pic shows how it is currently set up, though when I look at the bike in my living room it seems like the nose may be slightly more up than this pic shows.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10381

Thanks for your help!

Too Tall
08-31-2005, 07:19 AM
Uncle Scrooge - 1 degree nose down.

dirtdigger88
08-31-2005, 07:21 AM
yup- nose goes down-

the rails flex when you sit- so the saddle will actually be level while you are sitting-

Jason

scrooge
08-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Interesting. Could my discomfort also have something to do with fore/aft position?

dirtdigger88
08-31-2005, 07:37 AM
Interesting. Could my discomfort also have something to do with fore/aft position?

its possible- but in looking at your bike I would say I doubt it-

Maybe if you are sitting too far on the nose- or sitting very up right- it is have to say with out seeing you in person-

then again- you may just not "fit" an arione- some love them (me) others hate them. . .saddles are tough. . .I have been playing with my new saddle for 400 miles and just now feel like I have it close- still not perfect- but close

Jason

znfdl
08-31-2005, 07:47 AM
scrooge:

Do not feel bad, I lasted less than 20 miles on the arione. It hurt so bad that I ended up giving the saddle to Too Tall.

I switched to a Koobi PRS and have loved the saddle since. The Koobi PRS is heavier at 298 grams, but it fits my sit bones perfectly. I did a 140 mile with it with no problems. The saddles can be had at www.koobi.com

Richard
08-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Just a random thought, but could moving up from the 175s to the 200s have caused your problem. That is 1 inch and, as I imagine it, when the cranks are at the 3/6 oclock (or thereabouts) positions, they may be extending you leg to the point that it pulls you onto your crotch. Of course, all this is moot if the problem pre-dated the crank change.

Too Tall
08-31-2005, 08:14 AM
Couple things
1. Lower your saddle by a fraction...put a scootch more weight on your feet.
2. Do the core / low back series I suggested to Christophe before your rides and see how that feels. *Series of Pilates "roll ups" (pilates version of a situp) and a few "toe overs" (touch your toes behind your head). This will loosen up your back and engage core before you ride. Helps you hold your weight thru your frame rather than flop on the saddle.
3. Ride harder! kidding ;) pineapple.

Len J
08-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Saddles have different widths that are aimed at posititioning the sit bines in a specific spot (or spots). Sit bones have different widths. If the width of you sit bones is too wide for a saddle like the Arione, your sit bones will sit on the Concave part of the saddle and therefor lower that normal. Lower sit bones = more pressure on the soft tissue between the sit bones and the scrotum = the symtoms you describe. Some saddles just don't work for some people.

Either get measurered by a Specialized rep or try different saddle widths (By width I mean the width of where the sit bones are designed to sit on the saddle not the width of the saddle itself).

After a lengthy quest for the perfect saddle I found that the two most important characteristics are shape front to back and sit width.

Len

David Kirk
08-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Dare I say that maybe it just doesn't fit you? I tried one and no matter how I set it it didn't fit me. I wanted it to fit but it didn't.

I switched to a Aliente with great success. I've never had a better fit.

Dave

Ken Robb
08-31-2005, 11:41 AM
I agree w/ dave K--some saddles and certain butts don't work together. OTOH, if you are getting numb "down front" you could have a bit too much up-tilt. I know that I can position a saddle so that it feels great when I'm on the tops but mashes my parts when I go to the drops. Usually with a slight lowering of the nose I can find the perfect spot. All of my sadles do have some degree of up-tilt though or my hands go numb from resisting sliding forward. My favorite sadles are Brooks and the Arione--go figure.

eddief
08-31-2005, 11:57 AM
I have the same make and model on all the bikes. Dialing in tilt, height, and set back are all dynamic. Every once in a while I get to thinking "am I really comfortable on this saddle in this position?" Sometimes the butt man says "just move it forward and down a smidge." When I listen to the butt man and do what he says I find that he sometimes knows what he's talking about. That sort of small move can get you onto the Gee spot where you are getting a more broad support right where you need it.

Listen to your own butt man.

Selle Italia Transam Prolink Gelflow - no longer made, I believe.

jeffg
08-31-2005, 12:16 PM
you know ;)
Anyway, my favorite saddle is a SSM Era, but I use an Arione on my trainer and I have ridden that thing for hours.

Heck, since I am wasting my life at my so-called job lately and never get out, maybe I will torture myself more and see how long I can ride on it tonight. Bets?

Too Tall
08-31-2005, 01:23 PM
Jeffg, I'll pay you to go for a walk, a beer and a bratwurst :) Wintertime is for the trainer. You are giving me the shakes...I know there is time for "THAT" torture!!!

Fixed
08-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Bro, :beer: try what T.T. said if that doesn't work well your a big guy you might need a big guy's saddle I bet your l.b.s. will let you try out some, when you find one you like stick with it, but like a lot of things once you find it they stop makin it. Cheers

Needs Help
08-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Dave,

Why do you think the Aliante fits better?

Serpico
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Dave,

Why do you think the Aliante fits better?

probably because it fits his personal physiology better?

anyways, here's a decent article that describes the Arione 'break-in process' (I'm skeptical though, mine worked right away)

Saddle Breakthrough: Fizik Arione (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A//www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione.shtml)

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione/break-in-cracks.jpg

good luck

scrooge
08-31-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm cheap and don't feel like buying a new saddle so I'm going to keep messing with this a bit.
I did try tilting down a bit today and that helped a little, then I slid it forward a bit which helped a lot. I think that I was sitting too much on my front parts instead of putting the pressure on my sit bones. 53 miles later I could still feel my unit (you know what I mean. Perverts). Aaahhh. Sweet relief. I might tap it forward a hair more tomorrow and see if that helps even more.

By the way, this is a dumb newbie question, but am I correct in thinking that I'm supposed to put the pressure on my butt bones? Can someone describe where the corect pressure point is if I'm off?

ClutchCargo
08-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm cheap and don't feel like buying a new saddle so I'm going to keep messing with this a bit. . . .

By the way, this is a dumb newbie question, but am I correct in thinking that I'm supposed to put the pressure on my butt bones? Can someone describe where the corect pressure point is if I'm off?

that your health -- and that is what we're talking about -- is more important than a few bucks. seats are different, as are butts. find one that works. maybe save a few bucks and keep an eye out on this site or roadbikereview.com for people unloading a saddle you want.

and basically, yeah, you want to be on your sit bones. that's the key, I think. good luck!

ride on!

Too Tall
09-01-2005, 06:31 AM
http://www.pudendal.info/info/anatomical_images/PelvisLigamentsVerticalCrossSection.jpg

rcscott
09-02-2005, 04:33 AM
I have tried the aliante and Arione (among many others) and they just didn't work for me. Like znfdl I ended up trying the Koobi (AU Enduro) and it has been the best saddle for me to date. Heavier than the Fizik's but so much better for my butt. The specialized alias is also ok but not as good as the Koobi, for me. Weight and cost is not really relevant as far as your contact points with the bike are concerned. If it isn't comfortable then sell it and buy another, get it right!

Frustration
09-02-2005, 10:58 AM
EYECARAMBA... :crap:

Try new saddle. Don't like saddle. Change saddle.

I am cross trained to hell and back with very good core and stability, yet there are several saddles I just plain hate.

Of all the advise ever, "keep trying saddles till you find one you like" is the only one that works every time...

And 79 bucks is chicken scratch compared to not liking the rest of your bike.