PDA

View Full Version : Another pedestrian killed by a cyclist

gdw
04-06-2012, 08:06 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/cyclist-accident-makes-waves-181534779.html

eddief
04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
all day. Can't tell where the truth lies at this time. He needs to go to jail for killing someone. Maybe it was self defense.

tannhauser
04-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Please let this thread die.

deanster
04-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I lived in SF near that intersection years ago and probably rode that same route 200 times or more. A steep fast descent but, a damn big intersection. The rider should have slowed before he hit the intersection and must have been running the redlight not the yellow. It takes time to "fill" that intersection with no where to go...really bad bike judgement on his part. Best to ride carefully in the city. A short lapse...big consequences.

tannhauser
04-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I lived in SF near that intersection years ago and probably rode that same route 200 times or more. A steep fast descent but, a damn big intersection. The rider should have slowed before he hit the intersection and must have been running the redlight not the yellow. It takes time to "fill" that intersection with no where to go...really bad bike judgement on his part. Best to ride carefully in the city. A short lapse...

Truth. Nothing else need be said.

Jaq
04-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I lived in SF near that intersection years ago and probably rode that same route 200 times or more. A steep fast descent but, a damn big intersection. The rider should have slowed before he hit the intersection and must have been running the redlight not the yellow. It takes time to "fill" that intersection with no where to go...really bad bike judgement on his part. Best to ride carefully in the city. A short lapse...big consequences.

I dunno. I literally just had a similar experience. Riding eastbound on Santa Monica Boulevard through Century City, headed toward Avenue of the Stars, a very large intersection.

I've got the green, I'm 3/4 of the way through when the cross-walk timer hits zero and the light goes yellow. Instantly a young guy strides into the road a few yards east of the cross-walk, headed for the bus stop across the street, his cellphone at his left ear, his peripheral vision blocked. Suddenly I'm yelling and braking and skidding and miss him by centimeters.

Busy intersections in big cities fill quickly, especially when there aren't any easily visible cars coming. I don't think this cyclist is blameless, but I do think the accident was compounded by a confluence of things beyond his control.

gone
04-06-2012, 10:05 PM
It's hard to tell from the little bit that's on the linked Yahoo story - did the cyclist hit him and then take off?

If so, that's as reprehensible as the 17 year old in the video hitting the cyclist crossing the bridge and trying to get away.

UKBROOKLYN
04-06-2012, 10:45 PM
The guy admitted in the blog that he hit someone. "Blammo"
This guy should be arrested at the very least for leaving the scene of an accident.

pdmtong
04-06-2012, 10:48 PM
here's the sad story in today's paper
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/05/BA9O1NVHMI.DTL