PDA

View Full Version : New Merlin Build first pic

UKBROOKLYN
04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Well Shinybikes came through.. my order placed on Thursday was here Wednesday morning..

Heres a pic of a Quick and Dirty build.. Tweeks to come..

christian
04-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Nice pushbike! I would prefer silver stem, post, and headset, but de gustibus non disputandum est! Nice wheels too. Please align the tire labels with the valve stem though. Makes it easier to find the stem!

eddief
04-05-2012, 08:17 PM
into the bike categories. nice bike.

eddief
04-05-2012, 08:19 PM
no seriously, who'd a thunk of that? next time i install, will do.

Nice pushbike! I would prefer silver stem, post, and headset, but de gustibus non disputandum est! Nice wheels too. Please align the tire labels with the valve stem though. Makes it easier to find the stem!

Puget Pounder
04-05-2012, 09:22 PM
no seriously, who'd a thunk of that? next time i install, will do.

More of an attention to detail/tradition thing rather than for practicality :)

tuxbailey
04-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Nice!

jr59
04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
proper bike!

bobswire
04-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice, I especially like the wheelset on the frame. The important thing is, how is the ride?

UKBROOKLYN
04-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Too tired and late today.. I need to tune the gears a little then I will ride it tomorrow and d a long one on Saturday..

The wheel set was only 500 from Shiny Bikes so it was a no brainer.. I am super pleased with the way the white walls look.. BTW I will mebee change the orientation of the tire labels.. but BTW never really had any problem finding the valve stems.. he he..

Might switch to polished bits when I settle on stem length and seat post setback.. But for the Q&D build I just put on some cheap bits..

Also probably go to a white saddle.. just decided to keep the Brooks for now as a reference point between my rides.

choke
04-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Nice bike....congrats.

More of an attention to detail/tradition thing rather than for practicality :) It has a practical side as well - when you have a flat then you know exactly where in the tire to check to see if the offending object is still present.

Louis
04-05-2012, 10:57 PM
OK, I understand that this is a personal taste thing, but I don't think skin-wall tires are the most appropriate look for Ti frames. I'd try all black, or dark gray and see how that looks.

Other than that, enjoy ! :hello:

UKBROOKLYN
04-05-2012, 11:12 PM
They are white walls, look a little grey in the pic.. Well it is a personal thing, and I like it, it keeps the whole thing looking light. Its why I decided not to go carbon on the cranks and mechs.. I see all kinds of colors being sported on other roadies wheels.. I thought why not go classic white wall.. The tires are Michelin Pro race 3 BTW

"It has a practical side as well - when you have a flat then you know exactly where in the tire to check to see if the offending object is still present."

I suppose that could work.. I always struggle to hold onto the tire or lay it down while inspecting the tube.. Hmm now I think of it thats a pretty good idea, to orient a reference point on the tire with the valve stem so one can find the puncture spot. And I thought I knew everything... I have fixed enough flats thats for sure

slowgoing
04-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Nevermind.

Honey
04-06-2012, 12:47 AM
More of an attention to detail/tradition thing rather than for practicality :)

and a bad juju will befall you

beeatnik
04-06-2012, 01:09 AM
I think they look awesome. Got the same tires on my Moots.

AngryScientist
04-06-2012, 06:13 AM
looks good.

needs some King Ti. cages

AgilisMerlin
04-06-2012, 06:23 AM
sweet,

nice saddle

UKBROOKLYN
04-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Now I have to decide if I want to put the decals on.. they are super delicate.

Oh BTW boys I have a great quick story. I work in a bar 2 days a week and Monday in walks this guy with a Sram cap on and a Team Colavita T Shirt..

Naturally we get into bike chat and I tell him about the Merlin frame I am prepping. Hey goes.. "Hey I worked in the Merlin factory in the '90s !!"

So I whip out the iPhone and show him some pics and he starts telling me about the longer head tubes and rattles off a couple of names of likely welders of my frame. How weird and bizarre is that..

UKBROOKLYN
04-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Yep nice cages are on the list.. Also will be looking for a Silver or Pewter headset..

old_fat_and_slow
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Liv2RideHard
04-06-2012, 11:32 AM
I likey. I know you have some tweaking to do. I would dump the black post and stem too. Go ti. I agree with the some of the other comments. I would go black headset or spice it up and get...red? Maybe a red seatpillar collar too. Don't want to overdo it tho. Match your bar tape to your saddle. Classy. Here are a few rules courtesy of Velominati.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule #8
Saddles, bars, and tires shall be carefully matched.
3 Valid options are:

- Match the saddle to the bars and the tires to black; or
- Match the bars to the color of the frame at the top of the head tube and the saddle to the color of the frame at the top of the seat tube and the tires to the color where they come closest to the frame; or
- Match the saddle and the bars to the frame decals; or
Black, black, black

Rule #40
Tires are to be mounted with the label centered directly over the valve stem.

Pro mechanics do it because it makes it easier to find the valve. You do this because that’s the way pro mechanics do it. This will save you precious seconds while your fat ass sits on the roadside fumbling with your CO2 after a flat. It also looks better for photo opportunities.

UKBROOKLYN
04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Yep I think I said earlier that I was only rocking the Brooks as an index point from my last bike, and I would like to eventually find a white saddle. Gotta say though I love me some of that Brooks feel.

I just got back from a quick 20 miler.. it was going to be round the block and back for adjustments but turned into over the bridge and around Central Park.
I still need to do some der adjusting and shorten the der cable cover etc... BUt wow how smoooooth.. The wheels and fork are super nice.. lovely feeling and going down hill fast curves like ye old train on tracks..
Despite the length and size of the frame . I felt no shoulder tension whatsoever.. I may go for a shorter stem and less of a set back but will decide that on the ride tomorrow.
The rest is just aesthetics.

I have some brown leather tape that matches the saddle and have toyed with that idea.. sort of brown leather and white walls.. 1957 Bentley Coupé look..

I am more likely to go silver headset post, stem etc than adding color.

Ok oK I will re do the tire positions on the rims later this evening.. I know you guys won't sleep tonight knowing they are on wrong.

jtakeda
04-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Looks kind of like my Merlin.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7044/6913932079_47d38229e5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57329557@N05/6913932079/)

By the way, the seatpost has been raised and it looks a little less funky over there.

nbrewste
04-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Rule #40
Tires are to be mounted with the label centered directly over the valve stem.

Pro mechanics do it because it makes it easier to find the valve. You do this because that’s the way pro mechanics do it. This will save you precious seconds while your fat ass sits on the roadside fumbling with your CO2 after a flat. It also looks better for photo opportunities.

It's not so much a technique to locate the valve.

If the tire and tube are aligned in a common position relative to one another (tire label and valve stem) it allows you to easily locate the piece of debris that gave you a flat. Find the hole in your tube, note its position to the valve stem and presto, the errant piece of glass / road debris will be in the same relative position in the tire.

jtakeda
04-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Yeah I know I was in a hurry and wasnt paying attention. And right now I dont really care that much as I plan to change other things on the bike and will wait until I get them all in order.

jds108
04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
UK - if you stick with the white tires/tape and add the saddle in white, take a look at getting some white hoods. I have a bike with white saddle, tape, and hoods and IMO it looks good.

jtakeda
04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
OP, I think the Brooks and the leather bar tap is slightly out of place. The white tape, white saddle, white hoods with silver stem and post idea is good.

UKBROOKLYN
04-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Problem is to find a saddle that works for me... Need to start trying out all the saddles at the rest stop..(wait that sounded a bit odd) you know what I mean.. I wish they made the imperial in white.

Jeff N.
04-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Need a new set of Merlin decals? I've got some. PM if interested. Jeff N.

UKBROOKLYN
04-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks but I have a set of decals.. just have not decided if I want to use them yet..

slowgoing
04-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I remember you saying you wanted an older extralight because you rode someone else's and liked it. Now that you have this one, do you think it meets the expectations you developed after riding the other one? Is it better, worse, different?

UKBROOKLYN
04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Tomorrow will be a longish break in ride.. So far yes I actually like this better than my friends.. this one has the extended head tube .. Better position for me.
Also my wheels and fork are way more cushy.. Thats not to say soft, but sort of lush.. I don't know how to describe it.Stiff sideways, sure going fast down hill - like on rails - but also kind of dreamy floaty on the rolling hills.

I was ready to be uncomfortable trying to get used to it and I probably will shorten the reach a bit with a shorter stem and less setback but it was not that much of an issue.

wc1934
04-06-2012, 06:46 PM
looks good - your have a great start on a great bike - glad you finally found one

fiataccompli
04-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Late 90s? I just picked up a '97 recently....sadly had cracked carbon in the center section of the composit steerer on the threaded 1" wound up fork....so im running a Time threaded 1"wound fork for the moment....I'd be interested in hearing what other people run (and like) on their (same geometry) merlins.

Mine came complete, original but without decals......i have decals (except for the head tube) that i plan on putting on as soon as i make sure i know how to properly prep the metal and apply them.

Congrats - nice bike. I love Merlins. (Also have a 2005 Atreus ........think thats what its called....red decals, 1-1/8" steerer, Litespeed-era, etching on frame, a slightly different bike than the classic Merlin)

UKBROOKLYN
04-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Well I am just back from a longer ride and I feel good..
The Woundup fork and the Campy Neuron wheels.. wow really great..
Frame feels stiff where it counts but rides smooth and comfy.

The Campy 11 worked pretty great.. I have a few fine adjustments to make but wow was it quiet. I was not expecting that. Also the rear hub on the neuron is super quiet. Non of that Mavic Clackity Clack.

Having the Chorus levers meant double shifting is a breeze, as you can switch plates and zip up or down 3 cogs at a time with ease.

Stem needs to be 1 cm shorter and one degree lower.. and check me on this guys needs to be polished alloy..

Bonus.. I saw plenty of the roadies at Strictly Bicycles (Our hangout) Taking a look at the Merlin in the bike racks.

firerescuefin
04-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Well I am just back from a longer ride and I feel good..
The Woundup fork and the Campy Neuron wheels.. wow really great..
Frame feels stiff where it counts but rides smooth and comfy.

The Campy 11 worked pretty great.. I have a few fine adjustments to make but wow was it quiet. I was not expecting that. Also the rear hub on the neuron is super quiet. Non of that Mavic Clackity Clack.

Having the Chorus levers meant double shifting is a breeze, as you can switch plates and zip up or down 3 cogs at a time with ease.

Stem needs to be 1 cm shorter and one degree lower.. and check me on this guys needs to be polished alloy..

Bonus.. I saw plenty of the roadies at Strictly Bicycles (Our hangout) Taking a look at the Merlin in the bike racks.

Is your friend over you putting Campy on the bike:cool:

UKBROOKLYN
04-07-2012, 03:07 PM
I believe all the late 90s Merlins had the Metal head badge (mine does) not a decal.. You might want to see if you can find one.

yakstone
04-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I run black stems on my Ti rides. If I was going to change the stem I would opt for ti; not a fan of the polished alloy stem with the ti frame.
Ti stems are sweet but cost some coin. That's the only reason I have not made the change. Still waiting for my size to come up in the classifieds.

UKBROOKLYN
04-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I started looking back in September..

yep the smaller frames are hard to find. If you want a 56 you won't have to wait long.

UKBROOKLYN
04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I think he is still unhappy that I did not listen to his advice.. what can I say.. I guess I am a European.. I am supporting the home crowd.