PDA

View Full Version : OT: Shipping beer for purposes of beer trading

Liv2RideHard
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I have seen varying opinions on the legality of it. I know people who do it all the time and swap beers from all over the country. Just wondering if anyone here ships beer for purposes of beer swapping.

I would absolutely kill to get some Pliny the Elder. I cannot get it down here in Florida. I can get lots of other great beers, but no Pliny. Anyone here have access to Pliny?

cheers

:beer:

Gummee
04-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I asked USPS about this because I have a 6-er sitting on the table in the other room waiting to go to a buddy in OH.

Pretty much gotta be UPS.

M

moose8
04-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's state-specific, so you need to look at the laws where you are shipping from and shipping to.

This guy appears to have a pretty good description: http://billybrew.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-shipping-beer

Liv2RideHard
04-05-2012, 06:43 PM
I asked USPS about this because I have a 6-er sitting on the table in the other room waiting to go to a buddy in OH.

Pretty much gotta be UPS.

M

From what I read, stay away from usps. UPS or FEDEX. Now if I could find someone willing to trade me some Pliny for say, some choice Cigar City...

swPArider
04-05-2012, 06:47 PM
i've shipped wine without any problems by using usps. for something heavy like a sixer i would use ups. i would just make a ups account and print the shipping labels yourself, when you drop the package off at your local ups they usually don't ask whats in the box. don't ask, don't tell!

bcm119
04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I ship beer quite often. I send Pliny to my brother in Boston a few times a year, and he sends back whatever new and exciting New England beers he chooses.

I always use FedEx, very well packed, Ground service. Don't ask/don't tell. If they do ask, say it's something like olive oil, and very fragile.

I don't ship when it's really hot or really cold at any point along the route, because those trucks aren't climate controlled and I'm paranoid about freezing or heat damage. So that limits me to spring and fall.

Hopefully the trend of canning craft beer will continue and make shipping easier.