PDA

View Full Version : I promised - HED s-bend aerobar & aero brake lever pix

Bruce K
08-30-2005, 05:18 PM
I promised to post these pictures.

They show the new HED s-bend aerobar extensions and the new HED aero brake lever (3rd/auxiliary lever). This third lever controls the rear brake through a very nicely machined stainless steel cable splitter.

Another nice thing about the brake lever is that it is rearward facing and is a simple installation by replacing the female half of the Shimano bar end shifters with a machined lug welded to the bracket.

Enjoy.

BK

Oops. I need to re-size them. Up soon.

Bruce K
08-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Let's try for pictures now....

BK

coylifut
08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
that looks quite functional

Bruce K
08-30-2005, 08:02 PM
It actually works very well.

The lever is right under your fingertips and easily manipulated.

While it won't stop the bike super fast in an emergency, it will take off a fair amount of speed for sharp corners and keep you from running over the wheel in front of you during Team events.

BK

bostondrunk
08-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Can you post a pic of the entire bike?

Argos
08-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Is that a Cannondale?

Bruce K
08-31-2005, 04:42 AM
BD

Pics were posted long ago with the old style aerobars.

If you search in the custom gallery for HED V04 you should find it.

BK

GONE4ARIDE
08-31-2005, 09:53 PM
BK

How has the HED frame worked out for you this year and how would you compare it to your R1000 Aero? I have a C'dale TT rig and have been considering a HED for next season.

Bruce K
09-01-2005, 04:44 AM
G4:

The Hed frame has been WAY mofr comfortable, but that is truly a fit issue.

Because of the way Cannondale sizes the R1000Aero frame I was between and the bike never fit quite right. With the HED we were able to get a much better fit.

The end result is I have been faster both from fitness and position.

I find the HED's ride to be less harsh. The carbon rear end takes a lot of the
"teeth rattling" away. The aluminum of the C'dale could be kind of punishing over less than ideal roads.

The only negative on the HED is the carbon saddle that comes with it. I found the shape to actually be pretty good for my rear end, the edges rubbed my thighs wrong so I ended up using and S-I SLR.

I hope that helps.

BK

GONE4ARIDE
09-01-2005, 05:50 AM
BK,

Thanks for the input.

Did you actually have an opportunity to get fit on a HED before you purchased, or did you take a stab at your size and order direct from HED? I am assuming the latter.

What's your opinion on the quality of the frame/fork/seatpost? It would seem that the HED is a relatively good value in comparison to the other TT framesets on the market. Would you agree?

Did you consider/try anything else when you were in the market for a new time machine?

Bruce K
09-01-2005, 07:04 AM
G4;

I took a stab at the sizing, given there are limited choices, but knowing my Serotta sizing helped make the right choice. I selected the frame that most closely matched my top tube length and went from there.

The one odd thing about the frame is that they seem to use only 1 head tube for all size bikes. This would tend to pull you lower on larger frames.

The frame set does seem to be a really good bang for the buck and the other guys in the area with them really like theirs as well.

I think the frame offers lots of good features and if you don't care about or need the Cervelo style "wrap-around" seat tube. Beyond that, I don't see anything else out there without spending another grand.

Besides, the "stealth" look is really cool! ;) :banana:

I hope that helps some more.

One other thing to remember is that HED seems to only get 1 or 2 shipments of these frames each year so you probably need to act soon to have an order for this year's December shipment.

BK

yakbak
04-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Very nice ride/setup.

Could I bother you for a little more info, or maybe another pic, of how/where you have the Third Brake cable splitter installed?

Thanks!