PDA

View Full Version : Rock Lobster?

Dr. Doofus
08-30-2005, 02:51 PM
any forumite opinions of their frames? some pals of doof's had 'em for the '96 season...but that wuzzawileago....

Kirk Pacenti
08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Paul is a good friend of mine and builds one heck of a bike. He is most known for his cross bikes which, BTW, really kick butt! His stuff isn't as "botique" as some of the stuff talked about here, but is every bit as good and a super value to boot.

Cheers,

coylifut
08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
mostly cross bikes. the folks who have them, love em. If you're one of those who long to be unique, you'd likely be the only one in SC riding a Lobster. I'd ride one.

Dr. Doofus
08-30-2005, 04:49 PM
there are a few around these parts

guy named peter discoe knows paul...discoe's team was on 'em in 96 and 97...

like Doug Curtis, those prices are hard to beat...and seems you get more than you pay for....

hmmmm

'bout three months away from the final decision...we'll see...lots of options....

the peg? or stateside guys who have the respect of their peers (yamaguchi, kish, de salvo, paul...or if it all goes bust 300 bucks from now doug curtis)

coylifut
08-30-2005, 07:02 PM
There was a DeSalvo sponsored team at an omnium stage race I did this weekend. Very nice looking bikes. Folks around here like those as well. The powder coating looked real nice. no nonsene Ti and steel bikes. I'd hapily ride one of those as well.

William
08-31-2005, 05:18 AM
I've heard nuttin but good things about them. :beer:

William

Dr. Doofus
08-31-2005, 02:45 PM
doof left field guy*

Rock Lobster the target

Pacenti does the design

thanks to all who advised

(just something about the Panulirus argus grabs the doof)

* which is weird, because dofo actually played right just like Dewey, cause he had the arm)

gabbard
08-31-2005, 02:49 PM
I have one, a nothing-fancy Easton Ultralite cross frame. Paul is a great, wonderful, interesting guy to work with, bends over backwards to help you out and get you what you want. He is one of the old-time characters in the bike world. I only know one other person in Boulder, CO who has one, but I believe that as you get closer to the west coast, especially Santa Cruz, you will see more and more of them.

Prices are reasonable, I think, for what you get. Mine rides well, fits well, and has not held me back in any race. Mud clearance was/is a slight issue, but his scandium frames may use more radically shaped tubes to get better clearance.

Steve

george
08-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Before my Serotta Coeur d'Acier (September 2004). I was riding and still ride a steel Rock Lobster (November 2000). It's a giant steel racing machine. 66cm down tube and a 62 cm top tube. I am 6'8" 215 pounds. The LBS that put it together is no longer around but I am thinking of getting a cylecross Rock Lobster. I loved my Rock Lobster from day one and continue to love it even though I have my Serotta.

dirtdigger88
08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
http://www.mulch.demon.co.uk/b52s/albums/dance/dance.jpg

what a great song!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

csb
08-31-2005, 06:50 PM
http://www.mulch.demon.co.uk/b52s/albums/dance/dance.jpg

what a great song!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

they shot their 'girl from impanena goes to greenland' video in my studio
here in JC. if you ever see the video, the tan mutt shepard that walks
across the screen is my dog Pike.

+ doof, do the sea insect.

Lost Weekend
08-31-2005, 09:35 PM
That is so funny you mentioned that Gabbard. I was riding up the coast on hwy.1 toward davenport from Santa Cruz and caught up with a guy riding a rock lobster. I wanted to ask him about it cause it looked like a cool frame, but we had different routes.

I only know one other person in Boulder, CO who has one, but I believe that as you get closer to the west coast, especially Santa Cruz, you will see more and more of them.

Lost Weekend
08-31-2005, 09:52 PM
That is so funny you mentioned that Gabbard. I was riding up the coast on hwy.1 toward davenport from Santa Cruz and caught up with a guy riding a rock lobster. I wanted to ask him about it cause it looked like a cool frame, but we had different routes.

"I only know one other person in Boulder, CO who has one, but I believe that as you get closer to the west coast, especially Santa Cruz, you will see more and more of them"

resolved
09-01-2005, 12:18 AM
a team mate of mine has one, he brought paul the blueprint from the custom eisentruat formula he had worked up for him from his other road bike so they fit the same for him.
there were some custom details they built in during the frame design phase, and i know they worked closely and without hurry.
some details include dedacai aero tubing, including the alu seatstay aero profile, multi angle profile shaped chainstays, conventional headset, and cinelli bb housing which has an open girder type structure, and this bb shell was oriented in the 180o opposite direction of normal.
he chose a kestral fork.
the frame is just clearcoated w/ blk decals. my take is, this is a bike with a sense of humor, serious without pretension. i have ridden this bike in full tt regalia at districts, and found it very neutral handling, pretty stiff and although ultra light alu, typical harsh alu ride was evident.

any forumite opinions of their frames? some pals of doof's had 'em for the '96 season...but that wuzzawileago....

William
09-01-2005, 04:57 AM
We were at a party
His ear lobe fell in the deep
Someone reached in and grabbed it
It was a rock lobster

We were at a beach
Everybody had matching towels
Somebody went under a dock
And there he saw a rock
Only it wasn't a rock
It was a rock lobster