PDA

View Full Version : Info about Stan's rims

oldpotatoe
04-04-2012, 09:19 AM
We are relatively new to the tubeless gig, MTB, and we learned something interesting about Stan's 29er rims/wheels yesterday.

Guy that works for me is the MTB guy here, really likes WTB tubeless tires, has them(and WTB rims/DT350 hubs) on the MotoXYBB and they will go onto the
new Divide when we get it.

So get a Moots, gent wants new, tubeless, tires..Stans 29er wheels...get the WTB tubeless...BUT cannot get them on. Call to WTB and yep, Stan's rims, 3mm bigger in diameter, made for non tubeless tires. So, Stan's, known for all things tubeless, his 29er rims cannot accept a 'tubeless' tire-Ironic.

blantonator
04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
We are relatively new to the tubeless gig, MTB, and we learned something interesting about Stan's 29er rims/wheels yesterday.

Guy that works for me is the MTB guy here, really likes WTB tubeless tires, has them(and WTB rims/DT350 hubs) on the MotoXYBB and they will go onto the

So get a Moots, gent wants new, tubeless, tires..Stans 29er wheels...get the WTB tubeless...BUT cannot get them on. Call to WTB and yep, Stan's rims, 3mm bigger in diameter, made for non tubeless tires. So, Stan's, known for all things tubeless, his 29er rims cannot accept a 'tubeless' tire-Ironic.

Your post is a little confusing, but Stan's tubeless bead is different than UST. Things may be a little tight, but I haven't heard of many tires that wont work tubeless on a Stan's rim. Can you be more specific with what rims you are using and what exact tire?

Likes2ridefar
04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm curious why the tubeless tire is a different size than it's for-tubes cousin.

redir
04-04-2012, 09:32 AM
hmmm that's crazy. But I could of sworn I had some WTB's on my Stans in the past.

JayBay
04-04-2012, 09:38 AM
That's the beauty of Stan's rims - since the fit is "tighter" and less volume in the rim channel, regular (non-tubless-specific) tires can be setup tubless more easily on those rims. And like blatonator pointed out, there is a difference between the new generation of "tubeless-ready" tires and the UST standard. UST uses a different rim/tire bead shape, and UST tires (for the most part) should be run on UST rims. Stan's rims are not UST. Confusing, ain't it?

fourflys
04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
never used WTB tires but I can tell you a non-tubeless Kenda Nevegal goes on just fine and seals just fine as well as a UST Small Block Eight... and I heard the Schwalbe tires in regular or UST fit/seal just fine as well...

I'm really not sure why people think they have to use a UST or "tubeless ready" tire on an MTB... granted some non-UST tires seal better than others, but the low pressures generally run in MTB makes having a UST specific tire not really necessary IMHO... BTW- most crossers run non-tubeless tires tubeless just fine and I would wager a cross race is a little more brutal on a tire than a typical mtn bike ride (all the on/off, etc during a race)...

BTW- my experience is with the Stan's Crest wheelset FWIW...

fourflys
04-04-2012, 10:16 AM
but I do appreciate this as I was thinking about a set of the WTB Bronson tires... guess I'll stick with Kendas...

JayBay
04-04-2012, 10:23 AM
I just mounted a set of Bronson's on Stan's Arch rims last night. I'll be doing the tubless setup either tonight or tomorrow night, but from the looks of it I think it'll work fine. The Bronson's were typical Stan's snug fit, but they got on the rims just fine. They look like a nice tire, and a lot lighter than the Nevegal's too!

oldpotatoe
04-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Your post is a little confusing, but Stan's tubeless bead is different than UST. Things may be a little tight, but I haven't heard of many tires that wont work tubeless on a Stan's rim. Can you be more specific with what rims you are using and what exact tire?

Stan's 29er wheels ZTR and WTB Weirwolf LT tires...will not go on, confirmed by WTB.

Gettin Bronsons, as has been mentioned.

oldpotatoe
04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
hmmm that's crazy. But I could of sworn I had some WTB's on my Stans in the past.

WTB yes, but not their tubeless version.

benb
04-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm really not sure why people think they have to use a UST or "tubeless ready" tire on an MTB... granted some non-UST tires seal better than others, but the low pressures generally run in MTB makes having a UST specific tire not really necessary IMHO... BTW- most crossers run non-tubeless tires tubeless just fine and I would wager a cross race is a little more brutal on a tire than a typical mtn bike ride (all the on/off, etc during a race)...

BTW- my experience is with the Stan's Crest wheelset FWIW...

I think there are those of us who are skeptical and want to run a UST Rim + UST Tire combination because that is a combination that has both the rim manufacturer and the tire manufacturer certifying the combination as safe. If you're buying a Stan's rim he says the rim is safe with non-tubeless tires but the tire manufacturers don't test the Stan's setup or claim it is safe do they? Some of us just choose to be a little more conservative with safety issues.

Cross race tougher on tires or bike compared to a mountain bike race or even ride is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

the bottle ride
04-04-2012, 12:22 PM

I can live without WTB tires- there are so many great tires to pick from (WTB tires are clearily not Maxxis tires FWIW).

But I can not live without Stans rims- they are best rims out there for the money for tubeless.

fourflys
04-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Cross race tougher on tires or bike compared to a mountain bike race or even ride is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

matter of opinion I suppose... BTW- I wasn't really talking about downhill racing... not sure if downhillers use tubeless but I wouldn't really see the point personally... most mtn bikes are totally overbuilt for what most riders do on them... compared to a cross bike which is a little stronger than a road bike, but not much... (depending on the model of course)

Kirk Pacenti
04-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Peter, PM sent...

benb
04-04-2012, 02:33 PM
matter of opinion I suppose... BTW- I wasn't really talking about downhill racing... not sure if downhillers use tubeless but I wouldn't really see the point personally... most mtn bikes are totally overbuilt for what most riders do on them... compared to a cross bike which is a little stronger than a road bike, but not much... (depending on the model of course)

I'm sure it varies.. cross seems to have a tendency to underbuild from what I've seen while riding on very buffed courses.

It seems like in some areas X/C is a very buffed/boring course and a cross bike could easily finish the race but other areas have X/C races that are much much more technical then what would appear on a cross course. But MTBs have a lot of variation too.

I think my opinion is just based on the tendency for a mountain biker to default to jumping an obstacle and view having to walk as a negative whereas in cross it is considered the exception to ride the obstacle and totally normal to carry the bike over it.

HenryA
04-04-2012, 04:40 PM
There's this on the Stan's notubes website:

http://www.notubes.com/RecommendedTires.aspx

oldpotatoe
04-04-2012, 06:07 PM
There's this on the Stan's notubes website:

http://www.notubes.com/RecommendedTires.aspx

"compatible tires....all tubeless tires"..nope, they need to call WTB.

blantonator
04-04-2012, 06:22 PM

I know plenty of people running WTB tires.

HenryA
04-04-2012, 10:10 PM

It also says this:

"Compatible Non Tubeless* tires:
29er Tires: All"

Which seems to conflict with the statement earlier on the page:

"Road tubeless applications require tubeless specific road tires. Tubeless specific road tires have a reinforced bead that will handle high pressure tubeless use.

Compatible Tubeless Tires:
All Tubeless tires are compatible:
UST, LUST, UST-lite, 2Bliss, Tubeless Ready, TNT (tube no tube)"

And I think what they mean is that all their -road- rims require tubeless tires.

Its confusing and they really should change the page to make it clear.

But there are plenty of tires that will work fine on the wheels you've built.

d_douglas
04-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Dumb question:

Can one use standard clincher tires on a Stans rim?

Germany_chris
04-05-2012, 04:18 AM
in 2012 I can't see why anyone would use a tubes in a Mountain Bike. This is not new tech anymore..

JayBay
04-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Dumb question:

Can one use standard clincher tires on a Stans rim?

Yes

oldpotatoe
04-05-2012, 07:34 AM
I know plenty of people running WTB tires.

Not LT, Weirwolf tubelss, from WTB.

Standard WTB tires work fine.

sjbraun
04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
in 2012 I can't see why anyone would use a tubes in a Mountain Bike. This is not new tech anymore..

Because the Salsa rims on my mountain bike are clearly labelled, "Do not use with tubeless tires."

oldpotatoe
04-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Because the Salsa rims on my mountain bike are clearly labelled, "Do not use with tubeless tires."

AND yes, there are some real advantages of tubeless for MTB but compare that with tape, valves, goop, many needing a compressor and I see than some still like to use tubes.

Germany_chris
04-05-2012, 07:55 AM

OK..but were not talking about people with tupe type rims..new bike here

In your case I would spend 60 and get a tubeless conversion kit..

Germany_chris
04-05-2012, 07:56 AM
AND yes, there are some real advantages of tubeless for MTB but compare that with tape, valves, goop, many needing a compressor and I see than some still like to use tubes.

I gooped and used a floor pump in 05..really this isn't hard anymore.

Likes2ridefar
04-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I gooped and used a floor pump in 05..really this isn't hard anymore.

Agreed. I do it safely and cleanly in my NYC apartment, probably the worst place imagineable for working with pressurized goop that may blast all over my living room walls!

I've done both road and mtb numerous times tubeless and never had a spill or any other difficulties.

fourflys
04-05-2012, 09:57 AM

do you honestly think most feel a difference when using a tubeless setup? I run tubeless because I was wanting a lighter set of wheels and could get a great deal on Stan's wheelsets... since they came all ready for tubeless I went ahead and tried it... I think the main reason my new wheels feels better is because they're at least 600 grams lighter than the cheap mavic crosswhatever I had before... not real sure the tubeless is the part I feel and if they hadn't came already set I'd still be running tubes I'm sure...

many new mtn bikes may come with tubeless ready wheels, but I think few are set up tubeless from the beginning...

Likes2ridefar
04-05-2012, 10:05 AM
do you honestly think most feel a difference when using a tubeless setup? I run tubeless because I was wanting a lighter set of wheels and could get a great deal on Stan's wheelsets... since they came all ready for tubeless I went ahead and tried it... I think the main reason my new wheels feels better is because they're at least 600 grams lighter than the cheap mavic crosswhatever I had before... not real sure the tubeless is the part I feel and if they hadn't came already set I'd still be running tubes I'm sure...

many new mtn bikes may come with tubeless ready wheels, but I think few are set up tubeless from the beginning...

I do. On the road, they offer better traction in both rain and dry conditions while also providing a smoother ride. People dont realize how low you can drop the PSI on road wheels set up tubeless. Stan recommended recently to a sponsored team to try 50-60psi on the road for wet conditions races. the tire should be centered initially at a higher PSI, fyi.

last year commuting on a road tubeless setup I didnt bother adding air and when I finally did discovered I had about 30psi in the front tire with absolutely no issues.

On a mtb, i find the same benefits. better traction, less worry about pinch flats when bombing through rough stuff.

fourflys
04-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I do. On the road, they offer better traction in both rain and dry conditions while also providing a smoother ride. People dont realize how low you can drop the PSI on road wheels set up tubeless. Stan recommended recently to a sponsored team to try 50-60psi on the road for wet conditions races. the tire should be centered initially at a higher PSI, fyi.

last year commuting on a road tubeless setup I didnt bother adding air and when I finally did discovered I had about 30psi in the front tire with absolutely no issues.

On a mtb, i find the same benefits. better traction, less worry about pinch flats when bombing through rough stuff.

good points and I'm certainly not arguing... as far as the road setup, I've been thinking about it... of course if most people would realize running a 25mm or larger AND dropping the pressure below something less than 120psi is beneficial they would find such a nicer ride...

if they ever get some more tire options in road tubeless I might do it, but it seems like all you can find reliably is the Hutchinson's and most of those I've seen are a 23mm tire... at least in MTB or cross you can use a non-tubeless tire just fine...

Likes2ridefar
04-05-2012, 10:16 AM
good points and I'm certainly not arguing... as far as the road setup, I've been thinking about it... of course if most people would realize running a 25mm or larger AND dropping the pressure below something less than 120psi is beneficial they would find such a nicer ride...

if they ever get some more tire options in road tubeless I might do it, but it seems like all you can find reliably is the Hutchinson's and most of those I've seen are a 23mm tire... at least in MTB or cross you can use a non-tubeless tire just fine...

Very true re: 25 and psi and tubes. I was surprised how much more stable the front 25mm felt compared to a 23 when bombing down rough descents.

IRC has tubeless as does maxxis. Maxxis was $$$$ and I'm not sure IRC is available in the USA. its veryyyyyy slowly catching on. the MTB tubeless transition was similar although it seemed to catch on a bit faster in the USA.

Try 25mm tubeless:banana:

I've not used the intensive tubeless tire but some day will hopefully get to use it as a training setup. stuck on a fancy italian label this year and so far so good but past experiences predicts lots of flat tires!

Germany_chris
04-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Firstly I look like John Candy with hair so I do nothing for speed, I don't even particularly like going fast..I like to see things smell things and enjoy be "in" the environment.

I like tubeless for the flat protection..when I lived in Hawaii there was these little thorns that could pst through a tire like nothing, I once lost three tube between Ewa Beach and Schofield Barracks. With tubeless and stan's the little suckers pushed into the tires and then the stan's sealed immediately. I even put some in my tubular road tires the stuff is that good.

jds108
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Firstly I look like John Candy with hair so I do nothing for speed, I don't even particularly like going fast..I like to see things smell things and enjoy be "in" the environment.

I like tubeless for the flat protection..when I lived in Hawaii there was these little thorns that could pst through a tire like nothing, I once lost three tube between Ewa Beach and Schofield Barracks. With tubeless and stan's the little suckers pushed into the tires and then the stan's sealed immediately. I even put some in my tubular road tires the stuff is that good.

I'm also trying the road tubeless for the flat protection. Only a couple of hundred miles, but good so far. Needed an air compressor to initially seat the tires - it's a one time deal but folks trying the system for the first time should be aware of it (Stan's mentions this in their instructions.)

Likes2ridefar
04-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm also trying the road tubeless for the flat protection. Only a couple of hundred miles, but good so far. Needed an air compressor to initially seat the tires - it's a one time deal but folks trying the system for the first time should be aware of it (Stan's mentions this in their instructions.)

fwiw, i did not need to use a compressor with mine on any of the wheelsets I've converted. ksyriums, hed c23, and an unknown scandium rim. it may be my floor pump is very powerful or I've just had a lot of practice from doing mtb wheels...

the tires I used were fusion 2 and 3