PDA

View Full Version : Col du Granier and 2 Eriksens

velotel
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Light sliding in over the Alps early, looks like a silver dollar day. Bike in the car, down to Grenoble to meet Max. He’s been riding hard lately with some hammer, a co-worker. Long rides, lots of speed and vertical, he’s going to be strong. No problem, whip out the secret tactic, make him ride into town to meet me. Maybe (doubtful with him but…) it’ll tire his legs. Pick him, he’s looking fresh. Oh well, win some, lose some! Off to Chapareillan.

Park out in the valley in a field along a creek and a dirt track. Snow-capped Alps behind us, Col du Granier up ahead. Bikes ready, shoes on, bell rings, it’s bowl and roll time. Into Chapareillan on a paved farm track. Into town, turn right, turn up. The Tour de France will be here this summer. That’s after crossing the Col du Grand Cucheron, a hard climb. Granier is harder. An MG-B goes by, and another, then an Austin Healey, a TR-3, looks like we’re in the midst of some antique sports car tour. Good grade, sustained, fast warm-up. Into a vineyard, Mt Blanc visible in the distance. A Kodak moment. A black E-Type roadster with two guys amply filling the cockpit stops to ask Max directions. Wonderful sound, in-line 6, nightmare to maintain. Little bit later a remarkably pleasing light blue E-Type coupé goes by, the good one with the in-line 6 and only two seats. Gorgeous to watch.

Turn right, abandoning the road to Granier for another. Narrow road, bumpy, steep downhill, across a flat, twisting past old homes, into St André, a village, barely. Onto another even narrower road, easy climbing past vineyards and rocks. Between my head rocking and a roaring furnace surging blood through my body, I’m feeling fine. Too fine to pay attention. Miss a turn without noticing. Notice later. No problem, there are no wrong turns in France. Curl past more old farms and the road angles up hard. Max gives me a look. Yep, it’s steep. Double digits, high teens at least. We’re out of the saddle, working hard, working the grade. Over the top, flat section to an intersection. Well what do you know, back at the Chapareillan-Granier road, only a few hundred meters from where we left it. No problem, I knew Max was wanting to ride it someday. The day arrived.

Instant steepness. Max is standing a lot today, more than I’ve ever seen. Must be steep. Pitch eases, Max surges ahead. I loiter then slowly pull alongside. Max looks up, looks at me, says something about the road getting steep. Yep, supposedly a K at 18%. Not sure if that’s true, profiles seem a little like economic forecasts, lots of wishful thinking and false data. But if not 18%, not far off. Sustained. Pure sweetness, I’m feeling strong, rolling up the mountain in fine style. Pull up alongside Max then ever so slowly start easing ahead. Yes! A very good day. Those creeping fingers of age must be off looking for a glass of good single malt to wrap themselves around because today they’re on holiday.

Beautiful climb. An oxymoron for some, not for me, not today. We’re powering up the mountain, around curve after curve, sustained, but with a couple of easy sections to gather forces before the next pitch. And we’re there, the Col du Granier. A modest col with three roads coming in, from Chapareillan, Chambéry,and St Pierre d’Entremont. Plus an excellent view of Mont Blanc. And two Eriksens leaning against a wall. Don’t’ see that every day. The Eriksen is what brought Max and I together. I sell Kent’s bikes for him in Europe, sort of an agent. Something to keep me busy in my retirement. Max e-mailed me about ordering one. We rode together so he could see mine. Been riding together since.

We head down towards Chambéry. First part is delicious, back and forth round curves, nice acceleration, smooth pavement, we’re flying. Amazing. Didn’t expect that. Doesn’t last, the fun goes limp, the road too straight, not enough pitch to keep it interesting. Through a spit of a tunnel to another Kodak moment, the view over the Chambéry valley towards Lac du Bourget and Mont Revard. Turn around, ride back to the col.

Road department must have been busy since I last rode up it some fifteen years or so ago. Used to be easy, damn near big ring easy. No longer. Keep wondering how they made it steeper. We’re back at the col. No stopping, the downhill calling our names. The perfect downhill. If you like speed and long, carving turns that is. If I ever wanted to make a video on how to go down fast, this is where I’d film it. It’s so good that I’d pay money to ride down knowing no traffic was coming up. If you find the groove, this puppy is pure ecstasy. Wonderful gravity accelerations, the turns round, rhythm hot and cool all at the same time, which isn’t possible, but is anyway. Caress the brakes, lean in, let go, carve through, then quick over the top and lean into the next bend, carve through. One after another. Addictive. Fierce acceleration on the 18% section. Eyeballs wobbling a bit, the bike solid. Let it go. Burst out of the forest into the fields and vineyards. Big views tearing the eyes off the road. Siren calls all over again. Into the sweeping right-hander where I watched the blue Jag howl off into the distance. And down, hard and fast, into Chapareillan, then out into the fields to the car next to the stream. That was some ride! A good day, a very good day. Two Eriksens having fun, doing what they were made to do. Even better, I didn’t get dropped. Not even close. Yes, like I said in another post, still crazy after all these years.

And now some photos. The first ones were shot one evening during a late in the day checking it out day. The shots with big blue overhead are from the ride to the col.

PQJ
04-03-2012, 04:28 PM
I hate you velotel (and I mean that in the best possible - read, envious - way). :) Great pics and report - thanks for sharing.

crossjunkee
04-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Very cool! I wish there was "trip report" section on the forum.

tcbelise
04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Great pictures and write up! Thanks.

Way more fun reading about your ride than being in my office!

wooly
04-03-2012, 04:58 PM
6 photos down, then the money shot. You're such a tease.

thinpin
04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
If I ever wanted to make a video on how to go down fast, this is where I’d film it.
Max should have the footage, post it!
Magic as always.

FixedNotBroken
04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Oh my gosh those bikes are beautiful..along with the landscape!

john903
04-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I always eagerly look forward to velotel ride reports and photos. My favorite line was "there are no wrong turns in France." I guess not acorrding to the pictures the roads are traffic free ( except for sports cars) and Beautiful climbs looks like great spring riding have fun as I know you do.

tiretrax
04-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Another drool. Such is your life. If I wrote a ride report, it would be about laps at the lake, the scenery would be the hot chicks jogging, and the climbing about hills the length of your driveway.

Thank you for taking me away, ever so briefly.

cat6
04-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Another drool. Such is your life. If I wrote a ride report, it would be about laps at the lake, the scenery would be the hot chicks jogging, and the climbing about hills the length of your driveway.

Thank you for taking me away, ever so briefly.

Hehe

maxn
04-04-2012, 02:35 AM
hot chicks jogging
do you own a GoPro? :)

maxn
04-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Here's the video. Velotel was scary that day; diving into the steep parts with abandon. I kept relaying the contradictory information from the "Seated vs Standing" thread to try to slow him down, but to no avail (kidding :)). The descent from Granier is pretty unbelievable. You start with steepness and as much acceleration as you can handle, and at the bottom the trees open up into alpages/prairies with a postcard view of the Belledonne. It killed me to do it, but I had to stop mid-descent, just to make 100% sure that the camera was recording.

http://youtu.be/W_D-EP68IFY?hd=1

soulspinner
04-04-2012, 05:05 AM
sheesh.:hello:

thwart
04-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Another great story.

Wonderful way to start the day.

And Max... thanks for the vid.

'the bug attacks' ... priceless. :eek: :D

pitonpat
04-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks so much to Velotel and Maxn for entertaining us with their rides. I always look for a new Velotel ride report (and hopefully with an attendant Maxn video) when I visit the Forum.

On my most recent ride with my son, I had hoped to record a typical rural Pennsylvania ride but, alas, the GoPro was forgotten. We'll get one soon and try to compete (not likely) with Maxn's eye candy.

By the way, what's the typical distance and elevation gain on your rides? In my area, on a normal 35 mile ride I get about 2800 to 3300 feet of climbing. Not sustained climbs, mostly constantly rolling terrain.

Keep 'em coming!

maxn
04-04-2012, 08:19 AM
ride lengths and climbing are pretty variable. This one was on the short side: only 25 miles and ~4080 feet of climbing, but the opposite of rolling :)

John M
04-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Wow! Absolutely magnificent--The riding, scenery, and the bikes. Thanks for posting.

john903
04-04-2012, 10:44 AM
WOW
Bump this thread for those who missed the video.
Velotel looked freat carving up the corners.

ultraman6970
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
What surprise me the most is that looks like the traffic is almost null???

Even in lonely roads we have a lot of traffic here... darn! :/

velotel
04-05-2012, 01:53 AM
What surprise me the most is that looks like the traffic is almost null???

Even in lonely roads we have a lot of traffic here... darn! :/
Traffic? You mean like cars?

monkeybanana86
05-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Here's the video. Velotel was scary that day; diving into the steep parts with abandon. I kept relaying the contradictory information from the "Seated vs Standing" thread to try to slow him down, but to no avail (kidding :)). The descent from Granier is pretty unbelievable. You start with steepness and as much acceleration as you can handle, and at the bottom the trees open up into alpages/prairies with a postcard view of the Belledonne. It killed me to do it, but I had to stop mid-descent, just to make 100% sure that the camera was recording.

http://youtu.be/W_D-EP68IFY?hd=1

I'm loving these videos and especially the music. so jealous

maxn
05-18-2012, 05:14 AM
thanks. The cycling really is pretty remarkable around here. A lifetime of stuff to do without venturing very far.

oldpotatoe
05-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Traffic? You mean like cars?

Tell Matt to pee when nobody is takin' his picture.

velotel
05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Tell Matt to pee when nobody is takin' his picture.
Okay, I'll tell him but first I need to know what the reference is since he wasn't even on that ride; he was back in Boulder.

cnighbor1
05-18-2012, 06:28 PM
has photos of all passes in greater europe with bikes going over