PDA

View Full Version : sunglasses recomendations?

oldguy00
08-29-2005, 05:39 PM
I have a rudy project arione helmet. I find my oakley half jackets arms tend to get in the way of the rear helmet 'cage'. Basically, the arms aren't long enough to extend well under it, so they hit the edges of it. What sunglasses out there have long enough arms, or arms that curve inwards, to avoid this problem???

Jeff N.
08-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Oakley Zero's. Light and cool. Jeff N.

Ozz
08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
I picked up a pair of Rudy Project Rhydons (sp?) this summer - great glasses!

Long arms are flexible and can be manipulated to fit any shape needed. Good selection of replacement lenses...

Oh, and they look fairly normal so you won't look like a bug. ;)

lnomalley
08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
big huge fam of rudy project glasses. they work great, and are durable.. also easy to change the lenses to deal with different lighting conditions. on top of that they support local US racing on a grass roots level and just deserve all kind sof support for that kind of generosity.

they rock.

slowgoing
08-29-2005, 06:54 PM
I have had the same pair of sunglasses for about six years. I've had others in the meantime that I have lost within a matter of days. So, if you're looking for a durable pair of sunglasses that is hard to lose, try some Bolle pirajas with polarized lenses. Fairly cheap, too.

jimh
08-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Rudy projects are excellent sunglasses. The Rydons have interchangable lenses and flexible temples. Also RX able in limited parameters. This company has great customer service and products. They have built there reputation on function and quality (not marketing). I ride with Rydon polarized, and Graal SX. Check out there web site. www.rudyproject.com

Bill Bove
08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Rudy Project Rydon SX work for me.

dirtdigger88
08-29-2005, 08:50 PM
If I were to look at glasses again I would look at the Specialized models- I like the ones where the lens "adapts" from low light to bright light without having to change the lens-

I do much of my riding in the a.m. I start many rides w/o glasses for the first 20 minutes or so until the sun comes up-

they are not cheap glasses but they are in line with Rudys or Oakleys

Jason

yeehawfactor
08-29-2005, 09:12 PM
anything in white

e-RICHIE
08-29-2005, 09:45 PM
anything in white that's from rayban

Bill Bove
08-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Not just everybody can pull of the James Dean goes to Malibu look :crap:

mflaherty37
08-29-2005, 10:05 PM
These are good for Trek riders.

William
08-30-2005, 05:10 AM
I recently placed an order with Nashbar for a variety of items. As I was finishing up I checked the close-out section and saw that they were clearing out a lot of the sunglasses from the shelves. I said what they hey and grabbed a pair of Specter shades for $12.00. Came with a hard case, three pairs of lenses, and a cleaning cloth. I have to say that they are not bad at all. Sturdy frames and lenses and I like the style. The lenses have no distortions and pop in & out with out a problem. I've had/have:
Killer Loops
Bolle
Oakley
Rudy
Briko
and Varnet's....
compared to those, the Specters aren't too shabby, especially at the $12.00 close-out price

William

davep
08-30-2005, 09:43 AM
I have a couple pairs of Rudys and really like them. One great feature is that when the lenses get all scratched up Rudy will replace the lenses for something like $14.95.

As for the Specialized glasses that Dirt mentioned, that change from light to dark - I tried these as I do a lot of riding at night, or at least begin in the dark, and hate to carry two pair of glasses. IMO, the Specialized glasses don't get light enough to wear in the dark, and don't get dark enough to wear during a bright day. YMMV.

flydhest
08-30-2005, 09:48 AM
If anyone wants to chime in with experience with prescription sunglasses, I'd be grateful.

big D
08-30-2005, 10:14 AM
This brand is great. They have many different sizes for different faces and they seem to bemade out of the same good materials as the other higher end brands. They are reasonable priced and come in many different colours.

MartyE
08-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Flydhest,

I have Rx'd Rudy Project Rydons. As with all the Rudy;s that have clip
on rx it is limited to I believer + - 4.50 diopters. My wife has a pair
of Rudy RB3s that go beyond that (+-10.0 diopters?). What I (we)
really like is the ability to switch lenses for different light conditions
and not have to have multiple custom ground lenses.
There are other models in the Rudy lineup which will take clip ons.
I think that the heavy Rx clip in type glasses are all flip up
models.

Marty

musgravecycles
08-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Rudy Project Rydons!

End of story...

flydhest
08-30-2005, 02:15 PM
thanks, I'll have to look into it.

Ozz
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Everything Rudy, and more: http://www.opticsplanet.net/rudy-project-sunglasses.html

Lots of good info on models, lenses, and options.

I bought mine at my LBS, but ordered a spare set of lenses from these guys...OK experience...lenses were backordered so they took about a week longer to get than expected.

ClutchCargo
08-30-2005, 03:37 PM

#2 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
christian
You should be out riding! Join Date: Aug 2004

If you're considering rx cycling glasses, you absolutely MUST get in touch with Bret Hunter at SportsOptical.com. Send him your prescription, and talk to him on the phone. Bret can simply do things other people can't.

I had a set of prescription Rudy Ekynox (not from Bret) and they were pretty awful. If I tried to follow an object moving across my path of vision, I'd get seasick, and the optical quality was so-so.

I sent the frames to Bret and got two sets of rx lenses from him (one set of 85% gray lenses for use cycling and in the race car and one set of ~70% yellow lenses). They are amazing! Exceptional clarity, no distortion, etc. I could go on for days. Seriously, I can't begin to describe the difference. Let's just say these lenses have changed my cycling life.

Here's Bret's website: http://www.sportsoptical.com/
Here's an article from PezCycling:
http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2963

Oh, and in full disclosure, Bret gave me a discount, since he thought rallying was a neat use for rx glasses, but I would happily have paid full price. In fact, I'm planning on getting two additional sets of lenses soon.

Oh, yeah, he's probably cheaper than your local eye doc, too.

I'm about -2.25 and -1.75.

- Christian

ClutchCargo
08-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Rudys do rock.

(Oakley's are cool, too, but Rudy's are more practical and better for riding with the lens options, ability to adjust temple pieces and nose pads, replacement policy and all that)

p.s. Smith is supposedly coming out with a new lens that their riders used pretty exclusively in all conditions at the TdF. originally developed for golfers to highlight contrast and such, they loved 'em.

ClutchCargo
08-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Rudys do rock.

(Oakley's are cool, too, but Rudy's are more practical and better for riding with the lens options, ability to adjust temple pieces and nose pads, replacement policy and all that)

p.s. Smith is supposedly coming out with a new lens that their riders used pretty exclusively in all conditions at the TdF. originally developed for golfers to highlight contrast, the bikers loved 'em.

champlemon
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM
I love my Rudy Tayos. I wear Rx glasses to drive, but haven't been wearing Rx glasses to ride... I think that it's getting to that point.

I used to use these huge Bolle sunglasses with an insert and a brow pad... remember those from Indurain and Rominger's time? They worked great... but they were HUGE!

I'll have to look into alternatives... Thanks for the tips!

BTW: Not only do Rudys rock, but Rudy Project USA's owner, Paul Craig is a very nice guy supporting many guys with sponsorships of equipment and/or money.

BillyBear
08-30-2005, 08:40 PM
they cover my contact lenses and my big head...lots of replacement lenses...well ventilated...AND most of the cool (little) :butt: sunglasses look goofy on my fat face!