PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys, I need some input. What brakes

jr59
04-02-2012, 08:27 PM
I just sent in my cash for an all rounder frame to Tom Kellogg @ Spectrum.

I already have a Ti race bike that TK built.

I'm going steel with a steel fork, fat tire road bike is kind of what I have in mind.

What brakes? Cantis, Long reach tekros? Pauls racers? or road disc BB7?

I do like my brakes to stop me in a hurry.

Any ideas? Or input?

John H.
04-02-2012, 08:37 PM
VO Grand Cru

Louis
04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
I bet you can get a good deal on some Campy Skeletons from Akelman ;)

jr59
04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I bet you can get a good deal on some Campy Skeletons from Akelman ;)

:banana: :p

cat6
04-02-2012, 09:43 PM
I really like the Paul Racer brakes so far.

I just bought a second set here on the forum. Also a fan on Paul touring/neo-retro cantis. I guess I'm just a fan of Paul :)

If you're looking for any parts let me know, I've got a box full of take offs from my Riv, including the long reach tektros they sell.

Ken Robb
04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
what range of tire sizes will you want to accomodate? Fenders? Racks? Wheel swaps? Generator hub?

jr59
04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
what range of tire sizes will you want to accomodate? Fenders? Racks? Wheel swaps? Generator hub?

No bigger than 38's w/o fenders! I'll have a rear rack and braze ons for a front one. That means 32's with fenders.

No generator hub on this one. Well maybe if I go with discs!

Seeing this bike is on the drawing board, it's a clean slate.

jr59
04-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I really like the Paul Racer brakes so far.

I just bought a second set here on the forum. Also a fan on Paul touring/neo-retro cantis. I guess I'm just a fan of Paul :)

If you're looking for any parts let me know, I've got a box full of take offs from my Riv, including the long reach tektros they sell.

Thanks!

Dave Wages
04-02-2012, 10:27 PM
No bigger than 38's w/o fenders! I'll have a rear rack and braze ons for a front one. That means 32's with fenders.

Depending on what 32c tire you're talking about, you'll be hard pressed to run a medium reach brake (47-57mm) with fenders. Not saying that it can't be done, but it could be a tight squeeze.

I went with Paul's Racers on my latest bike and I'm really pleased with them. TONS of clearance, I may run 35's or bigger with fenders this next winter, and I can easily run cross tires for gravel roads and such. With brazed on studs, they are quite powerful and yet have nice modulation. The nice thing about long reach brakes is, you can always run skinnier tires, but if you don't have the room, you can't get the big meat in there!

My two bits.
Dave

TMB
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I have Racers on two bikes.

Braze on mounts.

I love them, great brakes. Would stop a runaway train.

Uncle Jam's Army
04-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Shimano BR-650's. Put them on my Kirk all-rounder.

Ken Robb
04-02-2012, 10:38 PM
what Dave said. OTOH, I've never seen a disc brake/ hub generator system.

jr59
04-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Depending on what 32c tire you're talking about, you'll be hard pressed to run a medium reach brake (47-57mm) with fenders. Not saying that it can't be done, but it could be a tight squeeze.

I went with Paul's Racers on my latest bike and I'm really pleased with them. TONS of clearance, I may run 35's or bigger with fenders this next winter, and I can easily run cross tires for gravel roads and such. With brazed on studs, they are quite powerful and yet have nice modulation. The nice thing about long reach brakes is, you can always run skinnier tires, but if you don't have the room, you can't get the big meat in there!

My two bits.
Dave

Thanks Dave. Next time it will be an Ellis!
Seeing as I'm a little to heavy for your cast offs!

jr59
04-02-2012, 10:46 PM
what Dave said. OTOH, I've never seen a disc brake/ hub generator system.

A lot of people make them these days.
I have an Alfine Generator Disc on my Co-motion that I got from Cat6 here on the forum. Peter White also mentions them on this page.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/shimano3n70.asp
Son makes one as well!
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-sl.asp

54ny77
04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
if you want regular (long reach) rim brakes, ain't no brake prettier. plenty plenty plenty of stopping power and style points aplenty.

love mine. be sure to change the pads outta the cartridges. cool stop salmon or black (i have black). or even regular dura ace.

whatever you do, just change 'em. the vo pad material sucks, and i mean that in the politest way.

VO Grand Cru

Aaron O
04-03-2012, 06:00 AM
What are you doing for shifting? If you're not going brifters, I'd strongly consider v-brakes with tektro levers designed for them. I couldn't be happier with that set up. If you want brifters, I'd go cantis for fenders, mini vs if no fenders, or disc if the aesthetics don't bug you.

The best canti I've used are the diacomp ngc 982s...they even have quick release. If you can't get those, I'd probably go with Pauls.

jr59
04-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Any other ideas?

gdw
04-03-2012, 09:45 AM
If you plan to keep the frame for a few years have it built for longer reach brakes like Paul's and spec disk mounts too. Run the rim brakes initially and upgrade to disks when the big guys produce a light reliable model.

GRAVELBIKE
04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
What are you doing for shifting? If you're not going brifters, I'd strongly consider v-brakes with tektro levers designed for them. I couldn't be happier with that set up. If you want brifters, I'd go cantis for fenders, mini vs if no fenders, or disc if the aesthetics don't bug you.

The best canti I've used are the diacomp ngc 982s...they even have quick release. If you can't get those, I'd probably go with Pauls.

The Tektro v-brake levers (RL520) have incredibly uncomfortable hoods. I disliked them so much that I converted a bike to flat bars to avoid those levers.

Aaron O
04-03-2012, 10:04 AM
The Tektro v-brake levers (RL520) have incredibly uncomfortable hoods. I disliked them so much that I converted a bike to flat bars to avoid those levers.

That's a subjective kind of thing...I actually really like the hood shape, and the hoods don't matter much since I almost always roll with gloves.

From a strictly brake comfort/performance standpoint...the Tektro/v-brake set sup is just about the best I've had. The braking is sublime, probably the best I've experienced. Lots of modulation and PLENTY of power when you need it. I'm riding that bike with a fair bit of weight and the stopping power is just terrific. I've been spoiled with Campagnolo dual pivots and this setup might be even better. If only they came as brifters!!!

GRAVELBIKE
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
To the OP:

Will you be running fenders?
What's the largest tire you anticipate using?

eippo1
04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
If you're looking for some slightly nicer looking mini-v's w/ lots of adjustability, what about the TRP CX9 or CX8.4 depending on the cable pull you need.

jr59
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM

:)

GRAVELBIKE
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I currently run discs on one bike and cantilevers on another. I'd planned to run mini-v's on the latter, but 85mm arms wouldn't clear fat 650B tires (fenders were out of the question).

The Avid BB7 (road) discs work beautifully with brifters, and there's no worry of rim wear, etc. I really wanted to run v-brakes on my other bike, but I didn't want to give up the ability to use brifters (which required shorter brakes). The cantilevers work fine on the road, but I think the discs are a better choice for off-pavement riding.

Aaron O
04-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Has anyone had much success running v-brakes through brifters by using a travel agent?

sg8357
04-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Tektro 556 XL reach brakes can be used instead of 57mm reach brakes
sometimes, the 556 are 53mm-73mm reach. The 556 has a wider arch
than the Shimano 57mm brakes.
I used SKS fenders with Gran Bois 31mm tires, without the brake
touching the fender. Bike used 57mm brakes maxed out, so the 556s
worked with the pads near the top of the slot, it looked a little odd,
but worked well.