PDA

View Full Version : Nedd Eperts advice - Making big jump, new frame

big D
08-29-2005, 01:59 PM
I need some advice. I am looking at either a Seven Axiom ST or a CIII. I am super sized rider but my current frame is brutally stiff vertically. I am torn between the CIII with the Colorado Concept tubing and the Seven with the round tubing. Which should I go with?

Should I order from some one else?

I was also looking at the Fierte Ti but I think that I am to big. I am cruzing and hopefully joining a cycling club next year. I will be using this to do my first century next year and general riding in Montreal.

I can't afford to move to a Concours or Legend so i will be looking at steel or fierte Ti.

need some direction.

Ken Robb
08-29-2005, 02:19 PM
you can order a custom C111 designed to ride the way you want.

sg8357
08-29-2005, 02:21 PM
snip

I can't afford to move to a Concours or Legend so i will be looking at steel or fierte Ti.

need some direction.

Head for Toronto ? ;-)

Mike Barry aka Mariposa, Canada's national treasure.

Scott G.

pdonk
08-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Or considering you are in montreal check out marinoni, affordable customs.

christian
08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
For a big jump, I recommend a Thursday (Jon Norstog), Haro, or GT. And a foam pit. And some advice from Dave Mirra.

- Christian

Fixed
08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Bro get a cutom Serotta I agree with Mr. Robb.Cheers

Jeff N.
08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
My Seven Axiom Steel is one of the nicest bikes I've ever seen or ridden, and so I can highly recommend it. Jeff N.

davids
08-29-2005, 04:25 PM
You can order a custom Axiom Steel designed to ride the way you want, too! :rolleyes:

I've heard a number of comparisons between the Steel Axiom and the CIII. (Supposedly) knowledgeable people say that Serottas ride "softer", but again, if you can have either frame built "your way", that doesn't make a lot of sense. I am confident that either builder could build you a frame that would make you very, very happy.

Some people love the look of one more than the other (those sexy, curvy Serotta stays vs. those sexy, beefy Seven stays?) Some people prefer the color choices of one over the other...

Personally, I'd go with the builder who seems to have the best relation to your dealer, and visa-versa.

The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either - Seven and Serotta are among the creme de la creme of the framemakers worldwide.

I was about to face the same dilemma when I stumbled upon an Axiom Steel on EBay... For what it's worth, my frame is spec'ed to be more rigid than the Seven "signature", and is completely comfortable. I'm only 5'8"/155lbs, so your requirements would be different than mine. And Seven was a complete pleasure to deal with - helpful and friendly - despite the fact that I bought my frame used, and they didn't make a dollar off of me!

Here's (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9712) a link to my bike, if you're interested...

Ozz
08-29-2005, 05:22 PM
I'd go with the CIII...but I like the shaped tubes Serotta uses, and they have more paint options. Both companies build great bikes....

davids - nice bike! BTW, I rode my DT wheels this past weekend, and I remembered what you said about the funny buzz they made (volume of buzz rising and falling)....yep, mine do it too! I never noticed it before. :p

Larry
08-29-2005, 05:41 PM
If I could ...... I would visit Bozeman, Montana
David Kirk TERRAPLANE looks fantastic.
Details upon details just the way you want it.

kirkframeworks@aol.com

Larry
08-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Sorry......corrected address

www.kirkframeworks.com

znfdl
08-29-2005, 06:08 PM
I would get a Spectrum from Tom Kellogg at www.spectrum-cycles.com

I just ordered my 5th Spectrum

davids
08-29-2005, 06:16 PM
I would get a Spectrum from Tom Kellogg at www.spectrum-cycles.com

I just ordered my 5th Spectrum
Since price seems to be an issue for our friend:

A steel Spectrum is $2500. A Kirk starts at $1,950. The Seven and Serotta are $1500, but this price doesn't include a fork.

Fixed
08-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Head for Toronto ? ;-)

Mike Barry aka Mariposa, Canada's national treasure.

Scott G.
hey bro check out the bike Mrs.Barry rode in 2002.it's preety nice cheers

Serotta PETE
08-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Based on "super size" need, I would recommend the CIII and have it sized by a good fitter. Let ys know what city you are in or near and I am sure someone on the forum can recommend a shop/fitter.

It is not that the other frames that were mentioned here are not good frames - it is just that the Serotta offers the most in customization. Nobody has more (or as many tube options) as Ben and the team.

Pete

big D
08-29-2005, 08:04 PM
I have seem Mrs barry ride in person. The number plate is still on the bike. I know the work he does but I have always wanted a Serotta or Seven. MY local dealer carries both and I already have a F3 10.5. It is the best fork I have every ridden. I am not sure which i'm going get yet.

Thanks for the advice guys. Still undecided.

Brian Smith
08-29-2005, 08:25 PM
....then you probably would also enjoy a frame designed and specified by the folks who know exactly what the F3 10.5 is like!
At your size, and given your worry about an existing frame's overly rigid ride, it seems like Colorado Concept seat and down tubes will be your friend.
It's only the top tube that's not completely round, and none of the CC tubes are simple ovalized tubes.
I can tell you that very few folks end up with the 10.5 forks, and I don't know another similar rigidity fork from carbon that doesn't carry the designation "Tandem."
I say get the C3, and it'll be drafted and spec'd to your taste.
Good luck whichever route you take.

Needs Help
08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey,

You seem to be the only person in the world who is using the F3 10.5. How about some more details? What carbon forks have you used in the past? Also, if you don't mind my asking, what is your weight and height?

Thanks.

Fixed
08-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Bro you just got it from the horses mouth that is the frame expert from Serotta the same guy who might make your frame if I were you I'd p.m. him some questions that I might have.do the Serotta bro you'll be happy .Cheers :beer:

93legendti
08-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Go for the Serotta.

William
08-30-2005, 05:57 AM
From one Big Guy to another, Serotta can fill the bill. Sure ther are other very fine builders who can do it as well...
Dave Kirk,
Spectrum
Richard Sachs (not on 5th ave)
Peter Mooney
Etc...

but you are on the forum and they can do it so.... :D

William

BTW, See the Barbarian link below for other Big Boy info. ;)

big D
08-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Which wheels do you currently ride as well as which tires do you use? I am currently using Hutchison top Speed in 25c but I think I am moving to Hutchison Topspeed 28c's.

I was think of using the DT rims in 36 spokes. Either the RR 1.1 or the TR 7.1. I have read most of the blogs but I am still wondering if I should be looking at the touring rims or if the RR 1.1 will work?

deechee
08-30-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm not a big rider, but I live in Montreal but after getting a not-so very comfortable Guru, I went to signaturecycles.com in NY and got a custom CIII. Best thing I ever did. I love my bike.

There's also a pretty good fitter I met at beausoleilcycle.com (he fitted my gf) I think their custom route would lead you to Marinoni.

Friend of mine had a custom Guru built up by Ian Buchanan at fitwerx.com in Vermont.