PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Cyclist Pro Team

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sc/racing-team-equipment.2051.html?VIEW_ALL=TRUE&INTRO_COPY=CCYTeamEquipment

Just curious as to why they ride SRAM on their Pinarello's. Usually you see Pinarello's with Campy/Shimano and this just didn't seem ordinary to me. I am wondering if SRAM gives better team deals along with product support? Just a few thoughts..it seems as if Shimano/SRAM are dominating the sponsorships. I have no idea if they are or not so I will be the first to admit I know nothing about that type of stuff. I am not one to bash SRAM or anything and I do ride Campy I just was curious.

rice rocket
04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
http://proteam.competitivecyclist.com/sponsors/

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sc/racing-team-equipment.2051.html?VIEW_ALL=TRUE&INTRO_COPY=CCYTeamEquipment

Just curious as to why they ride SRAM on their Pinarello's. Usually you see Pinarello's with Campy/Shimano and this just didn't seem ordinary to me. I am wondering if SRAM gives better team deals along with product support? Just a few thoughts..it seems as if Shimano/SRAM are dominating the sponsorships. I have no idea if they are or not so I will be the first to admit I know nothing about that type of stuff. I am not one to bash SRAM or anything and I do ride Campy I just was curious.

SRAM's focus is on the shop rats and racers. All the young guys ride plastic and SRAM. They do a good job with warranty (they need to!), spend a lot on adverts. It's the new cool, not that I'm sold.

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 05:37 PM
All of the pinarello's I have ever seen have Campy/Shimano Di2 on them..now the Campy EPS as well.

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Ok.

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
All of the pinarello's I have ever seen have Campy/Shimano Di2 on them..now the Campy EPS as well.

What is the purpose of stating this?

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Alright, this is going nowhere.

I'm out.

You're welcome.

Oh, also SRAM gives big discounts to shops, Shimano/Campy zero to very little.

You're welcome again.

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 06:30 PM
I was curious as to why SRAM is more prevalent now. It seems like they are taking over the market and have an upper edge. No need a prick remark.

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Ok, I'm back.

This thing you wrote...it's a statement that has nothing to do with your question or my response. It's just - "deal with it." Naw, I think I'll pass.

So if you say thanks, I'll go no prob, have a nice day. If you don't...a response reflecting your own lack of politeness is warranted. I wouldn't call it a prick response though.

benitosan1972
04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
From what I see, SRAM like Cervelo like Rapha like Apple like Nike seems to dump more money into advertising/campaigning to get their product/name/stuff out there. Not necessarily better quality, but that's why you're seeing it everywhere. People will align to what they like, flaws or opinions aside. It works, it sells.

PQJ
04-02-2012, 07:27 PM
From what I see, SRAM like Cervelo like Rapha like Apple like Nike seems to dump more money into advertising/campaigning to get their product/name/stuff out there. Not necessarily better quality, but that's why you're seeing it everywhere. People will align to what they like, flaws or opinions aside. It works, it sells.

Not really. Rapha and Apple both make functional, stylish, high quality products that are better than the competition. SRAM definitely is NOT better than the competition. I don't have experience with Cervelo and my running shoes are New Balance, so can't really speak to Nike either.

rice rocket
04-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Not really. Rapha and Apple both make functional, stylish, high quality products that are better than the competition. SRAM definitely is NOT better than the competition. I don't have experience with Cervelo and my running shoes are New Balance, so can't really speak to Nike either.

Can of worms right here...

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Except the fact that all of the companies you named have good products and a ton of returning customers..advertising goes a long way yes, but there has to be a market for the product as well and they have definitely done that. It's not like it's crap product.

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 07:35 PM

+1

I have had 3 Cervelo's..all positive experiences and the geometry fits me perfectly well so I can't complain. They also have great, quality products. Nike too..they advertise because they can afford it and they know they will sell a lot of products. They don't make the best running shows but they have good product..morally I'm not a fan of Nike but the product is great. Rapha is a great company as well. It's uber expensive buy they have some sort of clientele that keeps then afloat so they obviously are doing something right..

PQJ
04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Can of worms right here...

I know. The truth hurts sometimes.

Lovetoclimb
04-02-2012, 08:26 PM
How about those Yak Leather Shoes!? :banana:

benitosan1972
04-02-2012, 08:27 PM

not everyone agrees that Apple/Rapha are superior, just read on... :banana:

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I know. The truth hurts sometimes.

If you're saying apple, cervelo, Nike, and Rapha don't have quality products..then I'm not sure what planet you're from.

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
not everyone agrees that Apple/Rapha are superior, just read on... :banana:

Apple/Rapha don't care if everyone thinks their product. They obviously sell a lot of product so it shows..returning customers is an example of that. Apple makes more money per square foot than any other company..The products have held up and done well. I'm not saying they are SUPERIOR..but they are fine quality.

What I was trying to get at is why does SRAM have such an upper edge with marketing/advertising because it seems like they have gained many teams to fall under their sponsorships. I was stating the fact that all of the pinarellos I've seen usually have Campy or Shimano and was usin Competitive Cyclist as an example and seeing what everyone's thought about why this was? That's all. Thanks and I didn't mean to start anything..I really was curious. All of my friends aren't cyclists and I'm one of the only few of us that cycle so That's why I post questions here. Not to start potentially closed threads/arguments.

FlashUNC
04-02-2012, 09:51 PM
So you're asking why they're on Pro teams bikes when they spend lots more on marketing and sponsorships?

I'm unsure what the question is here...

They're on a lot of pro bikes because they spend like crazy for those sponsorships.

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
So you're asking why they're on Pro teams bikes when they spend lots more on marketing and sponsorships?

I'm unsure what the question is here...

They're on a lot of pro bikes because they spend like crazy for those sponsorships.

I'm just wondering how/why SRAM has won the favor of pro teams..or do pro teams just ride what they are given? If I was a pro I'd ride SR/EPS..if it was a choice. With those sponsorships, is it whatever company gives them the most money or do the guys who are going to be riding it have any say?

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Oh. My. God.

Note to self: do not participate in any threads you start.

Lovetoclimb
04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Once when training in Asheville I ran into a few continental pros from the Aerocat team. While we were climbing Mt Mitchell I managed to squeeze out a few questions between my labored breaths and drool. Along the lines of equipment, their responses were basically they ride what they are given. In this case they did not have strong opinions on much of it except enough bad experiences with a certain wheel manufacturer that made them gun-shy when it came to hard riding on that particular brand.

Can't speak to what happens behind the scenes that allows SRAM to capture Shimano/Campy market share or vice versa. Though i do have a good friend who works for SRAM, perhaps he can shed some light on the matter.

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Can't speak to what happens behind the scenes that allows SRAM to capture Shimano/Campy market share or vice versa. Though i do have a good friend who works for SRAM, perhaps he can shed some light on the matter.

It's hardly a trade secret. Actually, I said it earlier. I guess that wasn't light, but fact. Oh well, carry on people...

earlfoss
04-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Cole House from Baraboo, WI rides for that team and had a great season last year, hopefully he keeps on the upswing. I remember racing with that dude as he was coming up through the regional ranks.

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Ok, let me clarify some stuff: Pinas are often ridden by rich guys, so they put what they think of as posh on their bikes: Campag & Shimano. Old school stuff.

No regional US pro team rides Pina; Bissell did last year but they had a much bigger budget.

SRAM is, I will repeat, the NEW SCHOOL stuff, seen as cool by kids.

This is the answer to some of your non-questions.

M'kay?

FlashUNC
04-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm just wondering how/why SRAM has won the favor of pro teams..or do pro teams just ride what they are given? If I was a pro I'd ride SR/EPS..if it was a choice. With those sponsorships, is it whatever company gives them the most money or do the guys who are going to be riding it have any say?

They pay pro teams to use the product. It ain't rocket science.

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 10:39 PM
They pay pro teams to use the product. It ain't rocket science.

Okay. I know NOTHING about this stuff, hence the questions. Tannhauser, you're being extremely obnoxious.

benitosan1972
04-02-2012, 10:42 PM
who cares about the C/C Pro Team? they will obviously be riding overpriced bikes with overpriced clothing and overpriced accessories according to some of you guys here.

*sign me up*

FixedNotBroken
04-02-2012, 10:43 PM
who cares about the C/C Pro Team? they will obviously be riding overpriced bikes with overpriced clothing and overpriced accessories according to some of you guys here.

*sign me up*

I was using them as a reference..oh my you gents are taking some of the stuff too literally.

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm being obnoxious. HA!

Just stop typing and the thread will happily die and the assembled can move on to something really important, like Apple products or something.

Please, do not start any more sentences with, "I was just wondering..."

Stop explaining and listen more!

benitosan1972
04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
http://stylealchemy.com/ruminations/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bowiedisapproves.gifhttp://files.sharenator.com/167278_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s300x345-181198-580.gifhttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/point92mach/336-ice-cube-chris-tucker-damn.gif

54ny77
04-02-2012, 11:17 PM
wow 3 pages of fun and insults, with stylish ziggy wrapping it up lantern rouge (or should we call it broomvagen?) style. awesome! :hello:

SoCalSteve
04-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Ok, this one is done!

Thanks all for the great info. Let's move on please.