PDA

View Full Version : armstrong can't catch a break

vqdriver
04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
charity work aside, i'm no fan of him personally. but this seems especially bruising to anyone's pride.

http://now.msn.com/now-plus/0402-armstrong-ironman-finish.aspx

PQJ
04-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Just my opinion, but Armstrong has caught many breaks.

See: Ullrich, Jan; Basso, Ivan; Hamilton, Tyler; Landis, Floyd; Contador, Alberto; etc.

astaft
04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
But seriously, a fist pump to get 6th place?

FlashUNC
04-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Devil take the hindmost.

pavel
04-02-2012, 04:35 PM
boo hoo

echelon_john
04-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Daaaaaaaaad! Daaaaaaaaaaad!?

what an a-hole.

pdmtong
04-02-2012, 04:37 PM
kinda funny actually, since I bet the guy who pased him was just chasing down a rabbiit, not caring if it was lancey-poo, mike pigg, dave scott etc.

Viper
04-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Second is the first place loser and third isn't worth the flowers; Armstrong is still a pure athlete who wants one thing, first place. Had this high five resulted in first-to-second, then it's a story. 'Knowing' Armstrong, he'd have given the same answers to the media whether it was sixth or seventh...then chewed his teeth for days upset that he failed, as in didn't win.

For some athletes, ATCG = WIN1

mcteague
04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Felt bad for his kid. You could hear her yelling "Dad...Dad... DAD!!..." as he walked away from her.

Tim

firerescuefin
04-02-2012, 04:55 PM
......but this is a complete non issue.

Fixed
04-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Second is the first place loser and third isn't worth the flowers; Armstrong is still a pure athlete who wants one thing, first place. Had this high five resulted in first-to-second, then it's a story. 'Knowing' Armstrong, he'd have given the same answers to the media whether it was sixth or seventh...then chewed his teeth for days upset that he failed, as in didn't win.

For some athletes, ATCG = WIN1
+1 i agree
he has won his share

ultraman6970
04-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I had his $$ in the bank I wouldnt even care about doing triats or racing, but i would go riding every single day, alternating road mileage with track once per week.

Z3c
04-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Did you feel bad for Zabel when he lost M-SR a few years back at the line? If his finish means enough to him to ignore his child he shouldn't have coasted in.. Just my HO..

Hawker
04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
......but this is a complete non issue.

Agree. Except, I would bet that his finish was a bit less than he expected.

firerescuefin
04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Did you feel bad for Zabel when he lost M-SR a few years back at the line? If his finish means enough to him to ignore his child he shouldn't have coasted in.. Just my HO..

Not sure whether you have completed an Ironman, but it's possible he's not really hearing anything. He doesn't look the freshest coming to the line...and he's got a perceptible limp.

buldogge
04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't care one way or the other (feel a little bad for the kid, regardless of circumstances)...but...if you read the linked article, it says he was walking for some portion of the run...I'd say he was bonked.

-Mark in St. Louis

CunegoFan
04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I bet the guy who passed him feels great. He probably went away thinking, "I beat him and did it without a lifetime on PEDs. I am The Man! "

peanutgallery
04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Lance who?

Viper
04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
"No gifts".

Lance finished in obvious pain, but I think he was WAY pissed someone skirted by at the last second. He was so pissed, he just walked away, pissed off, past his kids. He most likely cooled down, mentally, after a minute and immediately blamed himself, not the other guy.

benitosan1972
04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
it ain't over until it's over... do whatever you want to do AFTER crossing that line: hi-five, lo-five, cartwheels, moonwalk, shuffle, the snake, puke, etc.

harryblack
04-02-2012, 06:29 PM
how about this, John? race you up App Gap at maximum whatever, and let's see how attentive you are at the finish? deal?

people who actually RACE-- let alone having a bad end of race, as LA did-- aren't exactly thinking straight when they cross the line.

i'm not even an LA fan-- nor am i LA hater-- but this is an absurd 'criticism.'

Daaaaaaaaad! Daaaaaaaaaaad!?

what an a-hole.

harryblack
04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Agreed. Passing Lance at the line is no big deal-- that's racing, especially when there's a prize list.

'Celebrating' 6th place when you were a non-factor in the race is lame, even if you're an ex-cop, ski shop owner, aspiring pack fodder pro triathlete.

But seriously, a fist pump to get 6th place?

Liv2RideHard
04-02-2012, 07:48 PM
how about this, John? race you up App Gap at maximum whatever, and let's see how attentive you are at the finish? deal?

people who actually RACE-- let alone having a bad end of race, as LA did-- aren't exactly thinking straight when they cross the line.

i'm not even an LA fan-- nor am i LA hater-- but this is an absurd 'criticism.'

I agree. Cut the dude some slack. Why be so harsh? If y'all wanna hate, then fine. No need for it IMO. I can say from personal experience that after an effort like that you are completely knackered. Too bad he didn't see his little girl. You guys have no idea what was going through LA's head. Lighten up.

Tony T
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Get Novitzky on the line!

Seott-e
04-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Racing is racing, but.....sometimes a little class in how you win or take a place is good for your carma.

BumbleBeeDave
04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
. . . to find something to criticize the guy about.

BBD

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't get why this is a "hard break".

Who really cares?

A hard break is when someone is diagnosed with cancer.

Tony T
04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Well, it's only a 1/2 Tri (1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, then a 13.1 mile run), no excuse for him not hearing his daughter :)

Now, if this were a FULL Tri, then maybe I would understand. :)

...now give me 20 laps! :hello:

benitosan1972
04-02-2012, 09:29 PM
if only Lance was sponsored by Rapha, then we'd really give it to him! :banana:

Viper
04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
if only Lance was sponsored by Rapha, then we'd really give it to him! :banana:

Rapha.
We don't make Triathalons.
We're here to make them cooler.

:beer:

Dekonick
04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Armstrong can't catch a break - like the class he showed in the tour chasing down a non GC competitor because of Dr. Ferrari 'accusations'

Sorry - LA is a certified prick. Dickhead. Asshole. I was offered free tickets to go to a dinner with him and did not take them because I would rather be with people I respect.

I DO respect what he has done for cancer (but believe it still revolves around his ego...) however it is clear to me this guy has no class. Why comment on a guy racing past him at the line? That is racing - right? Why should someone 'give' LA a place in a race 'just because' - that is the same logic people used when Ripkin passes Lou G's 'record' of never missing a game. Why should Ripkin not go on to extend the record? Because it is disrespectful to Lou Gerhig? It isn't - it just proves both men are tough as nails.

In this case, LA may not have heard his kids... whatever... I just say cut the guy who 'beat' him slack... that guy deserves his 5th place and the right to say he beat LA.

Rant over.

Earl Gray
04-02-2012, 11:38 PM
... I was offered free tickets to go to a dinner with him and did not take them because I would rather be with people I respect.

I wonder if he goes around the internet telling people about the time he almost got to go out to dinner with Dekonick?

Fixed
04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
the guys a freak cheers :fight:

54ny77
04-02-2012, 11:51 PM
sorry no insult intended to dekonick but that was pretty damned funny. ;)

I wonder if he goes around the internet telling people about the time he almost got to go out to dinner with Dekonick?

Ti Designs
04-03-2012, 12:11 AM
I saw this thread had grown to 3 pages, so I had to take a look. Now I have to ask, for all those people who think that Lance is a prick, why spend the time following his every move?

I don't know Lance at all. We were in one race together, I don't think I ever saw him. I stopped watching the tour when they stopped putting it on VHS. From where I sit, he's just not that exciting or entertaining. I think we need to get Bob Roll to try to extend his racing career way, way too long. Bob would have tripped the guy, I'm certain of it. Better yet, he would catch someone on the bike leg, pull down their shorts and hook them over the back of their saddle.

soulspinner
04-03-2012, 05:19 AM
I saw this thread had grown to 3 pages, so I had to take a look. Now I have to ask, for all those people who think that Lance is a prick, why spend the time following his every move?

I don't know Lance at all. We were in one race together, I don't think I ever saw him. I stopped watching the tour when they stopped putting it on VHS. From where I sit, he's just not that exciting or entertaining. I think we need to get Bob Roll to try to extend his racing career way, way too long. Bob would have tripped the guy, I'm certain of it. Better yet, he would catch someone on the bike leg, pull down their shorts and hook them over the back of their saddle.

:)

ergott
04-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Demerits to all of you for talking about triathlons.
:bike:

verticaldoug
04-03-2012, 06:49 AM
I like Lance. Hopefully, by being in triathlon now, sponsors will pony up more money and it will mean more coin in other pros pockets too.

The guy that nipped him at the line was another pro.

In 2004 TDF Lance nipped Kloden at the line even after sewing up the win. Going up Alpe d'Huez Lance was spit on by German fans and called a doper. Lance thought he'd let Kloden take the stage as a consolation prize, then decide 'No not today, that's not right'. Afterwards, Bernard Hinault supposedly told Lance 'Perfect, no gifts. '

I like the Badger even more than I like Lance.

Elefantino
04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
The only running anyone should do is from fear. Anything else is energy that could be better spent elsewhere.

William
04-03-2012, 07:05 AM
http://fullcontactenlightenment.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/watching-paint-dry.jpg

Black Dog
04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
High five to strangers and no recognition of his daughter. Very weak. Very sad. 7th of 700th no matter, in the eyes of you child you are 1st until you crush them. How much more feeding does this mans ego need.

Viper
04-03-2012, 07:25 AM

Amen LOL.

I make fun of tri-geeks. They are the Jawas of cycling.

:banana:

Viper
04-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Now I have to ask, for all those people who think that Lance is a prick, why spend the time following his every move?

It's the American way.
Lindsey Lohan.
People want to buy the Lindsey Lohan Drug-Cuff Monitor.
And be like her.
Then make fun of her herpes.
Paparazzi is Italian, so everyone's in on it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3S7mlRYL-8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gudEttJlw3s

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1282525/Lindsay-Lohan-hides-alcohol-monitoring-bracelet-knee-high-boots.html

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2010/06/lindsay_lohan_alcohol_ankle.php

Liv2RideHard
04-03-2012, 07:34 AM
High five to strangers and no recognition of his daughter. Very weak. Very sad. 7th of 700th no matter, in the eyes of you child you are 1st until you crush them. How much more feeding does this mans ego need.

Do you really think he would purposefully ignore his child? Come on, we have no idea what was going through his mind and what his state of mind was after the effort he put in. I have seen him interact with his children, not through a camera lens but in real life. I don't think any of us here could ignore our kids like that. Lighten up is all I am saying. I would be saying the same thing if it was someone else, not just Lance.

bobswire
04-03-2012, 07:54 AM

I don't get it either. Like you I ignored it figuring it was just another hit piece but after 3 pages I just had to look. That'll teach me, or not.

michael white
04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Nice exchange on Twitter:

@lancearmstrong Pleasure racing against you this weekend, next time we meet (kona?) u need to bust out the old school speedo/singlet combo!
Lance Armstrong ‏ @lancearmstrong Close
@TOinTRI haha!! Not a chance. Great toeing the line with you an congrats. Gutsy run and great win.

On forums like this people tend to show their true colors. Some have manners and class, most don't. This is a forum for the "little" guys. :)

Armstrong can't catch a break - like the class he showed in the tour chasing down a non GC competitor because of Dr. Ferrari 'accusations'

Sorry - LA is a certified prick. Dickhead. Asshole. I was offered free tickets to go to a dinner with him and did not take them because I would rather be with people I respect.

I DO respect what he has done for cancer (but believe it still revolves around his ego...) however it is clear to me this guy has no class. Why comment on a guy racing past him at the line? That is racing - right? Why should someone 'give' LA a place in a race 'just because' - that is the same logic people used when Ripkin passes Lou G's 'record' of never missing a game. Why should Ripkin not go on to extend the record? Because it is disrespectful to Lou Gerhig? It isn't - it just proves both men are tough as nails.

In this case, LA may not have heard his kids... whatever... I just say cut the guy who 'beat' him slack... that guy deserves his 5th place and the right to say he beat LA.

Rant over.

2ndproyer
04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
I think the guy who finished 6th was happy he beat Lance, something he can always treasure as he may not ever go beyond that, who knows.

As for Lance, just finishing a half IM, if you are hurting, as I was in my first half, I am not sure I was too aware of what was going on as I was spent and really just wanted to lay down and take a nap. doing a half IM with a cold was no fun, doing one in heat and humidity had to be painful as well, give the guy a break and dont make too much of it.

Viper
04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Enough of the media coverage and Forum insight. We want the real story*:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Bunny-Foo-Real-Story/dp/0803734700

www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80428106/

* = "DISCLAIMER: field mice will indeed be scooped, & head-bopping will occur. Make sure your little one can handle that kind of action....My daughter ordered this book through Scholastic books at her school and we went along unwittingly, not being familiar with this book. It is without a doubt the worst children's books that I have ever read, with no redeemable qualities whatsoever. It's the story of a sadistic bunny who likes to torture mice, which I'm sure is just what you want your kids to read. I can't believe this thing ever got published...Do NOT buy this book. I should have previewed this story before buying for my 3 year old. She's always loved the song, and the cover of the book is adorable, but this book is just AWFUL. In the story, the little bunny keeps "bopping" the field mice on the head, and the good fairy keeps telling her to stop or she will turn Little Bunny Foo Foo into a "MONSTER." At the end of the story, the fairy does turn the bunny into a monster, and then the "monster" bunny (very scary looking with SHARP teeth and claws) EATS the good fairy!!! The end. No "moral of the story" that hitting isn't nice. I could see how older kids (4th grade and up) would think this is "funny," but for a younger child...ABSOLUTELY NO WAY would I recommend this amoral tale. I really regret purchasing this."

krhea
04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Not sure whether you have completed an Ironman, but it's possible he's not really hearing anything. He doesn't look the freshest coming to the line...and he's got a perceptible limp.

Well said "Fire".

Back in the "heyday" of triathlons I was lucky enough to sponsor and support some of the biggest names in the sport including Dave Scott, Paula Newby Fraser, Scott Molina, Scott Tinley and many others. This association allowed me the opportunity to attend at least a dozen Ironman Kona races as well as various pro tri's around the world and either stand on the finish line and or ride in the lead vehicle for the entire bike/run portions including the epic Dave Scott/Mark Allen battle in the lava fields.
I can tell you this, many times I've seen pro's so out of it they didn't respond to their families/friends/coaches or sponsors at the finish and yes, they would be high fiving spectators down the finish chute and the moment they hit the line it was like their "lights went out" and they were in a fog.
I'm not a Lance "lover" but I appreciate what he's done for cycling and what his Livestrong organization has done but I hate it when people have no idea what the deal is and trash the guy or anyone else for that matter.
I give the guy credit for not being one of the many former or ex pro athletes who try and extend their careers and end up embarrassing themselves. Lance still has skills and is or could be a force in both mtn biking and triathlons.

Fixed
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Well said "Fire".

Back in the "heyday" of triathlons I was lucky enough to sponsor and support some of the biggest names in the sport including Dave Scott, Paula Newby Fraser, Scott Molina, Scott Tinley and many others. This association allowed me the opportunity to attend at least a dozen Ironman Kona races as well as various pro tri's around the world and either stand on the finish line and or ride in the lead vehicle for the entire bike/run portions including the epic Dave Scott/Mark Allen battle in the lava fields.
I can tell you this, many times I've seen pro's so out of it they didn't respond to their families/friends/coaches or sponsors at the finish and yes, they would be high fiving spectators down the finish chute and the moment they hit the line it was like their "lights went out" and they were in a fog.
I'm not a Lance "lover" but I appreciate what he's done for cycling and what his Livestrong organization has done but I hate it when people have no idea what the deal is and trash the guy or anyone else for that matter.
I give the guy credit for not being one of the many former or ex pro athletes who try and extend their careers and end up embarrassing themselves. Lance still has skills and is or could be a force in both mtn biking and triathlons.
the big four were giants imho nice post
cheers
http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2010/04/29/making-big-scott-allen-tinley-molina/
you might like this

CunegoFan
04-03-2012, 01:57 PM

The excuses people will come up with to tell us what we saw is not what we saw. Armstrong has a history of boorish, petty behavior. It should not come as a surprise when it surfaces, and it does not need convoluted, unlikely explanations to excuse.

firerescuefin
04-03-2012, 02:01 PM
The excuses people will come up with to tell us what we saw is not what we saw. Armstrong has a history of boorish, petty behavior. It should not come as a surprise when it surfaces, and it does not need convoluted, unlikely explanations to excuse.

Hey brother...curious if you've ever done a race like that...I have, and that excuse is completely plausible...and likely. I feel the same way you do about the guy, but to draw some of the conclusions that I have seen people do on here from that clip is a joke.

craptacular
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
"To the fools in certain parts of the press who are saying I intentionally "ignored" my very own daughter at that finish of yesterday's race, .. that's below the belt and shame on you for insinuating as much. I would NEVER do that to any of my 5 kids. Ever." Lance just sent this tweet. I would imagine none of you writing about how horrible he is have any idea what it is to be a professional athlete. None of you have had to learn to block everything out for you to succeed.

vqdriver
04-03-2012, 02:38 PM
when i posted this thread, i figured it would get a few lance ribs, but i didn't anticipate 4 pages of posts. it's mildly amusing to see someone edged literally at the finish line, and only worth mentioning cuz it happens to be a celebrity. it's certainly relatable for any of us who's had a coach shouting "FINISH"

i don't like lance and tend to agree with the characterization of his general douchebaggery, but it's kind of a stretch to take much away from this clip other than he's completely blitzed himself.

so watch the video and take from it what you will
but chill with the hate. along with the sram hate, it's getting tiresome.

michael white
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
If you think he's a douchebag, say it to his face. Otherwise it's pretty obvious who the douchebag is and it's not the athlete posting on line under his own name.

when i posted this thread, i figured it would get a few lance ribs, but i didn't anticipate 4 pages of posts. it's mildly amusing to see someone edged literally at the finish line, and only worth mentioning cuz it happens to be a celebrity. it's certainly relatable for any of us who's had a coach shouting "FINISH"

i don't like lance and tend to agree with the characterization of his general douchebaggery, but it's kind of a stretch to take much away from this clip other than he's completely blitzed himself.

so watch the video and take from it what you will
but chill with the hate. along with the sram hate, it's getting tiresome.

gdw
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Threads about Armstrong are the cycling communities version of a Rorschach Test.

vqdriver
04-03-2012, 02:51 PM
If you think he's a douchebag, say it to his face. Otherwise it's pretty obvious who the douchebag is and it's not the athlete posting on line under his own name.

dude

michael white
04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
There are communities . . . and then there are gatherings of sniveling, whiny, anonymous finger-pointers with no dignity, class, or self-respect. Like this.

michael white
04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
dude
watch your mouth. This isn't high school. Dude.

firerescuefin
04-03-2012, 02:58 PM
watch your mouth. This isn't high school. Dude.

Michael...think it's time for you to grab some fresh air and step away from the computer.

Liv2RideHard
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Or this bad boy gets shut down IMO...drifting out of control.

SoCalSteve
04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
That's enough of this. I'm sure we will all agree this one has run its course ( and then some)...

Take away from it what you will. But we are done with it.

Thanks all for adding to this thread!