PDA

View Full Version : OT: Flying to Europe from Newark vs. JFK . . .

BumbleBeeDave
04-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Round trip to Paris in July. Anybody have comparative experience flying in and out of these two airports? There's pretty regular bus service direct to terminals at both airports from Albany. JFK is the "classic" portal for European flights but Newark looks like it might be more convenient for me--if I can find a good fare.

Speaking of good fares . . . Aer Lingus has great ones to Paris but it seems everything they do includes a stopover in Dublin. Any other good low fares that would go direct to Paris from Newark or JFK? :confused:

Many thanks . . . :)

BBD

saab2000
04-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Go direct.

Idlewild (JFK) has a less bad reputation than EWR. And more options.

Unless the price difference is huge, I'd go with JFK on a direct flight. Even with a large (ish) delay it's faster than a connecting flight. Europe from New York is only like 7 hours flight time so it's not that big a deal.

Direct flights are almost always better than flights with connections.

572cv
04-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Dave, We always check the fares out of Montreal as well as Boston. For no apparent reason, they can be very different. If you do look north, there is a Canadian airline called Air Transat you might check. Often good prices. Cheers!

Smiley
04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
FLY DIRECT, we pay a bit more and always avoid layovers, your vacation time and hassels are worth it.

vsefiream
04-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Newark has it's fair share of issues. I have been stranded there over night twice. Luckily both were homeward bound flights, no problems with outbound international flights, at least not yet. Neverless I have a very bad taste for Newark and try to avoid it at all costs. Many of my co-workers feel the same about Newark. Just my .02

BumbleBeeDave
04-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Dave, We always check the fares out of Montreal as well as Boston. For no apparent reason, they can be very different. If you do look north, there is a Canadian airline called Air Transat you might check. Often good prices. Cheers!

. . . but he had relatives in Montreal so he drove up, left his car at their house, and it worked.

After looking over bus schedules, it looks mighty attractive to climb on a bus at Albany airport, get down to JFK by 2pm, take a flight out of there 5-530 or later, and relax. That gives me at least 3 hours of fudge time to get into the airport and through security . . .

http://www.premierelimo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7

I could do the same exact thing to Newark by bus and out of there. Just a matter of finding the right flight and fare. I've done some searching on Travelocity, etc., and there are some cheap fares, but some of the airlines I've never heard of before . . . "Slobovia Airways" etc. . . . I'm totally new to this so I'm sure there are a couple of these airlines that are better, but I wouldn't know which.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
04-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Newark has it's fair share of issues. I have been stranded there over night twice. Luckily both were homeward bound flights, no problems with outbound international flights, at least not yet. Neverless I have a very bad taste for Newark and try to avoid it at all costs. Many of my co-workers feel the same about Newark. Just my .02

. . . personal experience!

BBD

FlashUNC
04-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Went through Newark on both an outbound and inbound from Scotland. Nightmare both ways.

Used it, oddly enough, only for domestic flights, but Idlewild is a far better place to catch a flight imo.

Germany_chris
04-02-2012, 01:59 AM
I avoid JFK like the plague NYC driving and parking is unpleasant. JFK like Hartsfield confuses so it's difficult to get around..The only advantage to JFK for me is I can hop trains all the way to West Point to see my folks.

I fly from Newark to Schiphol, DeGaulle, or Frankfurt.

deanster
04-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Round trip to Paris in July. Anybody have comparative experience flying in and out of these two airports? There's pretty regular bus service direct to terminals at both airports from Albany. JFK is the "classic" portal for European flights but Newark looks like it might be more convenient for me--if I can find a good fare.

Speaking of good fares . . . Aer Lingus has great ones to Paris but it seems everything they do includes a stopover in Dublin. Any other good low fares that would go direct to Paris from Newark or JFK? :confused:

Many thanks . . . :)

BBD

Flown in and out of both airports for business trips to Europe. Newark may be more convenient (fewer people) but, I bet JFK has lower fares. Keep looking and jump on a good fare as they change constantly. The lowest fares may be gone this year. Try Air France to Paris...traditionally the best fairs to that city. Good luck.
Cycle Touring the last couple of years I flew Air Canada from Denver to Munich (2010) and Milan (2011). Paris was cheaper but the train fares would have more than made up the cost differential. Have fun.

henry14
04-02-2012, 02:48 AM
Read somewhere that the best days to find cheap fares is to look on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Elefantino
04-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Flown through Newark to Paris and back on Continental when there was a Continental and had no problems.

OT: It's not le Tour, but we'll be heading to Spain in September for la Vuelta. We're planning to catch the last mountain stage at Puerto de Navacerrada (think Izquiera vs. Nibali, 2010) and the finish in Madrid, which goes right by our hotel.

Oh, and we'll be visiting our daughter, too, who'll be doing a semester over there.:D

CDM
04-02-2012, 05:57 AM
I avoid JFK like the plague NYC driving and parking is unpleasant. JFK like Hartsfield confuses so it's difficult to get around..The only advantage to JFK for me is I can hop trains all the way to West Point to see my folks.

I fly from Newark to Schiphol, DeGaulle, or Frankfurt.

I also avoid JFK like the plague. Most surly employees and awful long term parking options. Been stranded overnight everywhere but JFK is the worst!

roydyates
04-02-2012, 06:11 AM
It's curious to read such a variaiton of opinion about JFK and EWR. Also, I'm surprised to learn that there is bus service from Albany to both. In any case, as a frequent flyer at EWR and an occasional flyer at JFK my own experience/feeling is

JFK tends to be cheaper. Internationally, JFK has more carriers (ie more competition) flying each route. Domestically, JFK has more JetBlue flights that keep prices down. In contrast, EWR is so dominated by United/Continental, they apparently have the highest domestic fares in the nation.

JFK has cheaper/better longterm parking. The Lefferts Blvd lot is convenient and the airtran to the terminals is pretty easy. It was $15/day last time I went The equivalent parking at EWR costs something like $24/day.

If you live in Brooklyn, Queens or Long Island, JFK is more convenient by car. If you live in westchester County or the Bronx, maybe its a draw. I'm not sure about Manhattan. Elsewhere Newark is easier to access by car.

In terms of flights/traffic, they are about the same, but Newark has more domestic flights and JFK has more international.

AngryScientist
04-02-2012, 06:25 AM
I fly out of newark all the time. Mostly buisness so i dont worry about the fares. I've had my share of problems but nothing major, including a trouble free direct flight to paris.

rbtmcardle
04-02-2012, 06:49 AM
I fly to Europe often for business.. I am in south jersey so driving to JFK sucks, no matter the time of day. I have yet to have a problem flying from EWR on 30 plus intl flights outbound. JFK has some flights that cant be had from EWR especially for the Far East... just find the best deal you can.. and give yourself some extra time for traffic if you are going to JFK

roydyates
04-02-2012, 07:13 AM
I am in south jersey so driving to JFK sucks, no matter the time of day.

Something everyone in NJ (South, Central, or North) agrees on.

The rest of Rbmcardle's advice is also spot on

flydhest
04-02-2012, 08:04 AM
My experience has always been that Newark is easier to navigate and understand as a passenger. Flight delays have happened for me at both. Since you're taking a bus in, the fact that driving to JFK is hell and driving to Newark is not, prolly doesn't matter.

dumbod
04-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I live in Brooklyn. Both JFK and EWR are a pain, particularly in the summer. Don't overlook Philadelphia. It's easy access (Amtrak to 30th Street, local train to the airport) and MUCH less congested than either EWR or JFK - that's particularly nice on the way back, the lines at immigration are much shorter. Not as many airlines or direct destinations as JFK but much more pleasant.

Tom
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
After the fourth consecutive nightmare trip through JFK, we will no longer go through either NYC airport. We connect through Philly or BWI. Logan, occasionally.

One time we were reduced to screwing over one of the Russian cabbies, to make our flight in another terminal required us to grab a cab from the international arrivals terminal to a domestic terminal because that bus was just not going to make it. We knew that from an earlier trip. The cabbie wanted a fare into town and was really annoyed we got him out of the queue for that kind of a run. We tipped good, but I know just enough Russian to know what he called us.

My only experience with Newark was with work, because Cleveland is the Mother Ship and Cleveland was a Continental hub, to go to DR tests in suburban Maryland through BWI we took a prop to Newark and then a prop to BWI. That always worked maybe because we drank heavily in the Newark wait.

rbtmcardle
04-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I too fly from Philly, however, when not flying for business, I generally avoid Philly as overseas flights seem to be several hundred dollars more originating from Philly.. I do find it very convenient though.

mistermo
04-02-2012, 11:10 AM
...and there are some cheap fares, but some of the airlines I've never heard of before . . . "Slobovia Airways" etc. . . . I'm totally new to this so I'm sure there are a couple of these airlines that are better, but I wouldn't know which.BBD

If you mean Iberia Airways, that's codespeak for American Airlines. Iberia is the Spanish national carrier. They have a partnership with American. I've done the JFK to Paris trip a few times (my wife is Parisian and has done it more), and we book flights on Iberia and always fly on American planes. I have tough time figuring out how Iberia fits into this, but it's essentially an AA flight. Don't let it bother you. They almost always seem to be cheapest (nonstop).

Joel
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Dave,

In a perfect world OUT of JFK (more flights in case things go pear-shaped) and back IN to EWR (US customs and immigration at JFK is a quasi-third world experience).

If in and out of same airport EWR, just by a hair 'cause the IN at JFK sucks so bad.

If big cost difference then go with what ever you can get cheaper and splurge on a great dinner in Paris!!

Three million butt-in-seat-airline-miles of experience talking here and that's my two cents!

Joel