PDA

View Full Version : Domane 6 series - the only stock geometry I'd consider buying

Smiley
04-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks to Sandy who alerted me to this new model bike from Trek.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/domane_6_series/

But we are already and have been building bikes like this geometry and better at Bedford, seems like Trek forgot about the wheels and maybe in their zest to claim a new breakthrough they forcused on that Seat Tube (hello DKS or Terraplane or Thudbuster etc) but how about good old fashion bigger tires :)

But I must admit that they are finnally getting the gist that folks want a nice stable platform to ride on, nice trail, nice chain stay lengths and wheel base, and Lastly really nice tall Head Tubes. But they focused on holding a 73 STA so be prepared for better off set seat posts.

All and all good on Trek for a nice geometry bike.

jpw
04-01-2012, 10:06 AM
...and poor Fab won't get to ride it on PR cobbles for another whole year.

eddief
04-01-2012, 10:06 AM
tall headtube, slack geo, long chainstays, good bb drop. hard to compete with Zertz :).

Smiley
04-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Don't know why pro's just don't ride Titanium on Paris Roubaix anyway, seems like a dumb proposition to ignore such a wonderful material.
But Trek and Specialized don't make bikes in Ti so forget it :)

benitosan1972
04-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice, but $12k for a Trek is like paying $100k for a Honda or $1k for a Timex or $100 for a Domino's pizza

dustyrider
04-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm sure most normal people would lean towards the $4,619.99 model....

John H.
04-01-2012, 11:18 AM
How is this new Trek bike any better than the ROubaix that has been available for years?

FlashUNC
04-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Nice, but $12k for a Trek is like paying $100k for a Honda or $1k for a Timex or $100 for a Domino's pizza

Yeah, "generic" manufacturers can never make cool stuff:

http://autocars123.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Acura-NSX-The-best-car-Review.jpg

Kontact
04-01-2012, 12:04 PM
I see a seat tube angle range of a ridiculous 74.6 all the way to 72.5. How is that "focused on 73"?

Doesn't seem a lot different than a Cervelo RS or a Colnago Ace.

They did lower the BB, which is nice.

Grant McLean
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I see a seat tube angle range of a ridiculous 74.6 all the way to 72.5. How is that "focused on 73"?

Doesn't seem a lot different than a Cervelo RS

They did lower the BB, which is nice.

I don't think the seat tube angle range is in any way "ridiculous".
That's a matter of personal opinion.

But the RS geo is pretty different, compare the 56's -

cervelo RS
seat 73
head 73
fork 43
bb 6.8
chainstays 41

Trek Domane
seat 73.3
head 71.9
fork 4.8
bb 7.8
chainstays 42

The thing i like about the Domane is the design is complete.
Compared to the RS, which is the same as their "road" geo
with just 1cm longer stays, which they say are to somehow
compensate for the taller head tube.

Personally, i like long and low.

-g

Dustin
04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
How is this new Trek bike any better than the ROubaix that has been available for years?

(1) Not fugly

(2) No stupid Zert inserts

(3) can take up to a 28mm tires w/o fenders.

(4) hidden fender mounts.

Now if someone would just make a bike like this for 57mm reach brakes. Guess there is the Calfee Adventure model.

pdmtong
04-01-2012, 02:02 PM
But I must admit that they are finnally getting the gist that folks want a nice stable platform to ride on, nice trail, nice chain stay lengths and wheel base, and Lastly really nice tall Head Tubes. But they focused on holding a 73 STA so be prepared for better off set seat posts.

Hey Smiley
would you mind perhaps comparing the domane geo to a stock bike, and then perhaps the doman geo to the roubaix - maybe pick out what you think are the key geo differentiators and explain why this is an improvement for perfromance/comfort riding?

I dont know enough to know what a 5mm or a 1cm or a 0.5d* change in this or that in aggregate do for a ride.

I do know that I can ride most mfgs stock 56cmTT "race" bike all day long but that's about it. I also know I spent one rainy and cold day a few years ago doing 85 mikes on a stock roubaix and it worked fine.

Thanks for any insight ... it does seem that people across forums universally are declaring this geo to be somethgin they approeciate (not so with the roubaix) but I can't read between the lines to "get" the specifics.

Grant McLean
04-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Hey Smiley
I'm a geo moron. would you mind perhaps comparing the domane geo to a stock bike, and then perhaps the doman geo to the roubaix - maybe pick out what you think are the key geo differentiators and explain why this is an improvement for perfromance/comfort riding?

I dont know enough to know what a 5mm or a 1cm or a 0.5d* change in this or that in aggregate do for a ride.

It's really the aggregate of multiple changes the makes the final difference.
5mm here, 10mm there, another degree of angle - it adds up.

A given frame design is a combination of three elements of geometry -
one is rider position
second is the relative position of the wheels.
third is the steering axis.

The main thing the Domane geo is getting praise for is that it places the wheels
further apart, and lowers the bb. The specifics of how they do that are
less important to know, other than their approach is consistently successful
across all of the sizes, which is something that sets Trek apart from other
brands whose small and large sizes are somewhat lacking, and could easily
be improved.

A lot of current pro stock race bikes are very short wheelbase, and have
higher bb's than what was once a traditional classic european road geo,
like the classic bikes of the 70s.

-g

Smiley
04-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey Smiley
I'm a geo moron. would you mind perhaps comparing the domane geo to a stock bike, and then perhaps the doman geo to the roubaix - maybe pick out what you think are the key geo differentiators and explain why this is an improvement for perfromance/comfort riding?

I do know that I can ride most mfgs stock 56cmTT "race" bike all day long but that's about it. I also know I spent one rainy and cold day a few years ago doing 85 mikes on a stock roubaix and it worked fine.

Thanks for any insight ... it does seem that people across forums universally are declaring this geo to be somethgin they approeciate (not so with the roubaix) but I can't read between the lines to "get" the specifics. Am I the only moron here?

Here's my take on first blush as I am very picky to what I WANT to ride anymore.

Note Trek built these with Taller head tubes and shorter TT's and I think that forced them to go with relaxed HTA and longer rakes for TCO cause to me there is no reason otherwise to use a 48 mm rake fork and a HTA of 72 as I was looking at my size bike which is a 58 cm frame. Also If I recall properly this was a 56.7 TT so Yeah TCO would have been an issue for me except these guys kicked out the front wheel.
Kelly is building me a second Tig road bike with a 72.5 HTA and a Enve fork rake of 43 mm for a trail of 6.1-6.2 so you can see what Trek did as my TT for my Bedford will be 58 cm BUT with a 72 STA cause I ride a Brooks saddle where I need more offset. And my Bedford HT length is 19 cm so you can see I can really fit this stock carbon geometry and if I find a shop willing to sell me one cheap I may buy one BUT that is so low on my list right now.

I'd buy this frame over a Roubaix anyday cause honestly I think those zerk inserts suck and look ugly too. The Trek is a nice looking carbon bike.

jpw
04-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Are couplers an option?

Smiley
04-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I'd like to add that Trek's price is too expensive given you can buy a custom Steel bike Tig'd for about $2600 plus add $2200 for a Force build and be at what Trek wants to sell their Domane bike for so ***. I'd rather go custom steel and build it exactly the way I want it with braze on's and fat tire cabability too.

Dustin
04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
To add to that, a specialized Roubaix with Rival is $2700 MSRP. The Trek has improvements in terms of geometry and tire clearance, but for many consumers I think the close to 2K price difference will be hard to swallow.

Heck, I can get a Roubaix with SRAM red for only a few hundred more than the Domane with Rival.

pdmtong
04-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Grant, Smiley, thanks for the geo comments.

I get it now. Also spent some time reading grant's postings over there. Fully digested now.

eddief
04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
The Trek will probably come in 4 lbs lighter without trying too hard. Some will pay for that and enjoy it too.

I'd like to add that Trek's price is too expensive given you can buy a custom Steel bike Tig'd for about $2600 plus add $2200 for a Force build and be at what Trek wants to sell their Domane bike for so ***. I'd rather go custom steel and build it exactly the way I want it with braze on's and fat tire cabability too.

Point Grey
04-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Keep in mind the Domane at the moment is only available through the Project 1 program which gives one the ability to custom the paint scheme and colour. The frame is also built using the 600 series OCLV made in Wisconsin
which can add to the value.

To add to that, a specialized Roubaix with Rival is $2700 MSRP. The Trek has improvements in terms of geometry and tire clearance, but for many consumers I think the close to 2K price difference will be hard to swallow.

Heck, I can get a Roubaix with SRAM red for only a few hundred more than the Domane with Rival.

Jason E
04-01-2012, 06:13 PM
It would be fun to pull up to a crit on this in the next month while it is still whiz bang... People would lose track of their zone 2/4 warm up to converse about whether or not it was an appropriate selection from the quiver of available bikes in the stable.

I think this is a cool bike, I want to demo one when Trek Raleigh gets one in.

I Want Sachs?
04-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Keep in mind the Domane at the moment is only available through the Project 1 program which gives one the ability to custom the paint scheme and colour. The frame is also built using the 600 series OCLV made in Wisconsin
which can add to the value.

Don't get the part why OCLV adds value? Does it ride better because Wisconsin ages the carbon better than elsewhere? Is it because it is better carbon, and in what way? Or is it made by USA passport holder, so if you can find a buyer who insists on American hand builders later, you can sell it for more?

oldpotatoe
04-02-2012, 07:54 AM

Lotsa custom steel for less than $2600 including the fork, from established makers, those who have been making frames for a long time. And with just about any group, w/o using anything exotic, it would weigh about 2 pounds more than that same trek with the same group. Buy 2 bikes for the price of the trek frame.

And yes, this frame is lotsa $ and doesn't keep you from breaking your collar bone.

rwsaunders
04-02-2012, 07:59 AM

Yeah, but you can ride away on it this afternoon. Besides, any cyclist worth his cappuccino knows that steel is heavy, rusts and is ridden by guys with moth eaten wool jerseys who believe that the car was only designed to support the peloton on the mountain roads of Europe.:cool:

steampunk
04-02-2012, 08:04 AM
the seatpost-bearing assembly is a trick implementation of a simple suspended beam.

Fixed
04-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Lotsa custom steel for less than $2600 including the fork, from established makers, those who have been making frames for a long time. And with just about any group, w/o using anything exotic, it would weigh about 2 pounds more than that same trek with the same group. Buy 2 bikes for the price of the trek frame.

And yes, this frame is lotsa $ and doesn't keep you from breaking your collar bone.

the forum wise-man
listen and learn imho
cheers :)

BCS
04-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Buy 2 bikes for the price of the trek frame.

I will see your 2 bikes for a Trek and raise to 3.3 bikes for a Meivici. It is nice to see people hating on Trek for reasons other than being ubiquitous :cool:

ald
04-02-2012, 08:52 AM
The Domane will be made as a stock bike = Domane 6.2C $4399 equipped with Ultegra available early June.

Project One versions will be more expensive depending on the paint scheme and parts chosen.

Gummee
04-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Out of curiosity: how many of y'all hating on the Roubaix have actually ridden one (more than around the parking lot)?

:ear

M

dave thompson
04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Out of curiosity: how many of y'all hating on the Roubaix have actually ridden one (more than around the parking lot)?

M

Not me. I found the Roubaix a totally surprising and very good bike.

Gummee
04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Not me. I found the Roubaix a totally surprising and very good bike.

Shhh! You'll upset the haters!

I pooh-poohed it too till I ended up with one. Its way stiff and way comfy. Two things that are tough to combine.

No, I don't particularly care for the look either, but it works. I just wish I'd gotten the 'team version' with the short HT. I've got a -17 stem on mine with the Tarmac 8mm HS spacer.

M

Hawker
04-02-2012, 10:46 AM
I've been all over the Trek website and can't find any actual geometry numbers for various size frames...at least not for the Madone or and Domane. Anyone?

Thanks.

pdmtong
04-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I've been all over the Trek website and can't find any actual geometry numbers for various size frames...at least not for the Madone or and Domane. Anyone?

Thanks.

general info
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/domane_6_series/p1_domane_6_9_radioshack_nissan_trek_edition/#

"fit and sizing" tab
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/domane_6_series/p1_domane_6_9_radioshack_nissan_trek_edition/#/us/en/model/fit_sizing?url=us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/domane_6_series/p1_domane_6_9_radioshack_nissan_trek_edition

Grant McLean
04-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Thanks.

click through to any specific model, and then choose the "fit & sizing" tab.
There is a chart and diagram for all sizes.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/domane_6_series/p1_domane_6_9_radioshack_nissan_trek_edition/#/us/en/model/fit_sizing?url=us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/domane_6_series/p1_domane_6_9_radioshack_nissan_trek_edition

jpw
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I might give the Domane a test ride when it reaches my LBS.

Hawker
04-02-2012, 11:16 AM
click through to any specific model, and then choose the "fit & sizing" tab.
There is a chart and diagram for all sizes.

Thanks, not sure why I couldn't find that? What no 48 or 49cm frame size!? Locked out again.

Kirk Pacenti
04-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Looks like a nice bike. Maybe the Volagi / Specialized battle got Trek thinking there was market for such a machine. There are a lot of excellent carbon bikes out there, but very few that are practical outside real racing applications.

High-tech materials and mfg, beautiful industrial design and geometry that's actually useful to the average rider; what more could you ask for? Let's hope this is an emerging trend that more bike companies will follow.

Cheers,
KP

Climb01742
04-02-2012, 12:05 PM
many different bikes have a place in our cycling world. custom, handmade frames_can_be wonderful. but even with the most respected builders, it's still a bit of the roll of the dice whether you'll dig the finished product and whether it will meet your expectations.

part of what appeals about production bikes like the domane is you can test ride them and know exactly what you're buying, or not buying. no surprises, no nagging disappointments.

neither is better or worse, just a choice: leap of faith vs known quantity. it's great to have both roads to ride down.

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Looks like a nice bike. Maybe the Volagi / Specialized battle got Trek thinking there was market for such a machine. There are a lot of excellent carbon bikes out there, but very few that are practical outside real racing applications.

High-tech materials and mfg, beautiful industrial design and geometry that's actually useful to the average rider; what more could you ask for? Let's hope this is an emerging trend that more bike companies will follow.

Cheers,
KP

Looks like this predated that mess with Cancellara and co. being the testers for Trek. Trek has admitted before their most recent involvement in the ProTour that they didn't have the ability to push development.

Specialized, otoh, did.

Kirk Pacenti
04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Looks like this predated that mess with Cancellara and co. being the testers for Trek. Trek has admitted before their most recent involvement in the ProTour that they didn't have the ability to push development.

Specialized, otoh, did.

They are both nice bikes. I like the geo on the Trek better than the Specialized though.

Fwiw, the 60cm Domane is nearly identical to the bikes I've been designing for myself for nearly 18 years. I could get a box-stock Domane that would fit me like a glove. Can't think of any other (off the top of my head) production bikes from big names that I could do that with.

Cheers,
KP

rePhil
04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I wonder what Treks development time is on a new bike like this? Say from the day someone comes up with the idea, until the first dealer unit is boxed?

tannhauser
04-02-2012, 05:22 PM
They are both nice bikes. I like the geo on the Trek better than the Specialized though.

Fwiw, the 60cm Domane is nearly identical to the bikes I've been designing for myself for nearly 18 years. I could get a box-stock Domane that would fit me like a glove. Can't think of any other (off the top of my head) production bikes from big names that I could do that with.

Cheers,
KP

The Roubaix is nice, steers a bit slow and is super stable, a fine endurance ride.

I was kind of shocked about the Trek's geo - so...traditional and sensible. I can believe that it was guys like you they are copying. Pretty nice to have the big guys finally pay some homage to you guys, albeit indirectly.

eddief
04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
gotta new coupled Curtlo and have been only riding it for last 3 weeks. yesterday got to get back on my S-Works Roubaix and go climbing. what a complete pleasure. does everything well for my kind of riding and favorite bike of 25 or so in the last 10 years. keeping it. 4lbs is 4lbs. buzz eating carbon is good too.

M

Elefantino
04-03-2012, 06:18 AM
The Roubaix is a great bike.

I sold mine.

Kirk Pacenti
04-03-2012, 06:44 AM
I wonder what Treks development time is on a new bike like this? Say from the day someone comes up with the idea, until the first dealer unit is boxed?

I have no idea about this bike in particular, but typically development of a completely new bike is close to 24 months.

Lead times being what they are, every mid-to-large size brand is working on 2014 product right now. So what you see on the shop floor today likely started out as a sketch sometime in 2010.

Cheers,
KP

NRRider
04-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Can anyone tell me how long the seat tube would be (center to center) if the top tube was level--on a size 56? I'm a long leg-short torso guy and trying to see how well it would work. Just a basis for comparison.

Grant McLean
04-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Can anyone tell me how long the seat tube would be (center to center) if the top tube was level--on a size 56? I'm a long leg-short torso guy and trying to see how well it would work. Just a basis for comparison.

If you don't know what size you are, see a dealer.
Converting to a center to center level frame is a
basis for comparison - just not a very good one.
Lots can get lost in the translation.

-g

William
04-03-2012, 08:23 AM

M

I found one in the trash once.

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/04/07/1/000_par704125_600.jpg

:p

William

zap
04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
snip edit etc.

But I must admit that they are finnally getting the gist that folks want a nice stable platform to ride on, nice trail, nice chain stay lengths and wheel base, and Lastly really nice tall Head Tubes.

:), it's a comfort bike that will also handle dirt and cobbled roads better. Racers have a custom frame made by Trek for PR because they need a shorter ht.

There is nothing desirable about this Trek that appeals to serious roadies.

54ny77
04-03-2012, 09:51 AM
as interesting or nice as it may be, it's still a choker of a price tag.

maybe the geo will trickle down to bikes 1/3 - 1/4 the price in the product line. really, what is the market for a big co. bike at $12k compared to the $3-4k model?

when you see the custom bikes here with their lovely paint and nice parts, and the price hits high 3 or even low 4 digits, it somehow seems rational--in a twisted way. handcrafted, if you will.

when you go into an lbs that carries the megabrand megabike and see a $12k sku parked a few feet away from the $199 sku, it's a bit weird.

i can't imagine someone strolling in off the street and saying, "i'll take that one." must suck for the dealer to hold that inventory too--my guess is they have to buy it from trek to put on the floor. pricey experiment.

saab2000
04-03-2012, 10:05 AM

This. There are enough serious folks out there who don't want the high and tight position but rather long and low. The Madone is also sold with their H1 position and everyone should be thankful for that.

firerescuefin
04-03-2012, 10:09 AM
snip edit etc.

:), it's a comfort bike that will also handle dirt and cobbled roads better. Racers have a custom frame made by Trek for PR because they need a shorter ht.

FC is saying he may ride it all year....he's a relatively "serious" roadie :rolleyes:

dave thompson
04-03-2012, 10:36 AM
snip edit etc.

Please define 'serious roadies'. I need to know where I stand in regards to this.

54ny77
04-03-2012, 10:47 AM
It would be a cyclist that recognizes greatest highs come from the deepest lows, that applying themselves totally can produce a sense of satisfaction that is impossible to replicate, and to embrace the ethos that from pain comes pleasure.

Stay thirsty my friend. Embrace the African Hair Sheep leather.

Please define 'serious roadies'. I need to know where I stand in regards to this.

zap
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
FC is saying he may ride it all year....he's a relatively "serious" roadie :rolleyes:

My understanding is that he has a custom. Seeing how he rides (on TV), there is no way in hell a stock geo would suit his race position.

As to the rest, lets see what he rides in the TdF.

As for myself, the stock Domane geo would cause my lower back all sorts of grief.

Dave, someone who can ride in the drops (flat back in relation to ground for hours if one feels like it). Hey, it's what I came up with at a moments notice.

Anyhow, time to seek the hurt locker.

See you later.

dave thompson
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
It would be a cyclist that recognizes greatest highs come from the deepest lows, that applying themselves totally can produce a sense of satisfaction that is impossible to replicate, and to embrace the ethos that from pain comes pleasure.

Stay thirsty my friend. Embrace the African Hair Sheep leather.

Si, claro.

I do seriously want to know what the definition of a 'serious roadie' is, particularly when someone pushes their prejudices onto me. I've got a Roubaix, along with other bikes which have been custom made for me. I've spent a lot of time and miles in the saddle, pushing myself often to limits that I've not experienced previously in my quest for 'form', exploring places I've not been on cycles and go on vacations which revolve around cycling. I've worked at cycling events, such as the Coeur d'Alene Ironman for many years, belong to several cycling clubs and organizations, personally and financially support cycling advocate groups and I get politically involved in local cycling issues. I consider my self a serious cyclist and I'm a roadie, hence a 'serious roadie'. But if I ride my Roubaix I'm no longer a 'serious roadie'? Or not one only when I'm riding it and revert back to 'serious' when I'm riding something else?

firerescuefin
04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
My understanding is that he has a custom. Seeing how he rides (on TV), there is no way in hell a stock geo would suit his race position.

As to the rest, lets see what he rides in the TdF.

As for myself, the stock Domane geo would cause my lower back all sorts of grief.

Dave, someone who can ride in the drops (flat back in relation to ground for hours if one feels like it). Hey, it's what I came up with at a moments notice.

Anyhow, time to seek the hurt locker.

See you later.

Stock Geo, slammed negative rise stem....just got off the phone with a buddy that works for Trek. He said you can order a repro of FC's bike (Domane Team Edition) if you'd like.

The "serious roadie" comment is still a silly one...and I have the -6 stem, compact race geo frame, and a lot of drop.

professerr
04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Do the team edition and the custom edition share the same geometry? I can only find on the website the geometry for the team edition (the expensive one) on the website, and the photo of the custom edition (the less expensive one) seem to show a taller headtube and more slanted top tube.

jpw
04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Boonen rides a 61cm tt and a 14cm stem with a 12cm drop.

Would a stock Domane work for him?

dauwhe
04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm not a serious roadie. This bike is rather intriguing. I don't care how it would fit TB or FC, since I'm not them.

That is all.

:fight:

firerescuefin
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I've got a call into my friend. The team edition on the site is FCs and the stock looks to be a 55 or 56. The bikes are 2 different sizes....hard to say on the geo, but FCs (team edition) with spacers doesn't look that aggresive (not a whole lot of drop)

jpw
04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
My size would be the 54. It's not that dissimilar to my Serotta cross geo, but even allowing for fork length differences the Domane has a significantly longer head tube. I think I would not need spacers.

bostondrunk
04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
It is stiff, yet compliant. And has really good torsional stiffness. I hear it corners on rails, and every ounce of energy is delivered to the rear wheel.

;)

Smiley
04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
It is stiff, yet compliant. And has really good torsional stiffness. I hear it corners on rails, and every ounce of energy is delivered to the rear wheel.

;)

Hey Drunk good to have you contribute in your astute fashion :)

oldguy00
04-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey Drunk good to have you contribute in your astute fashion :)

I wonder if Munson has ordered his yet?? :)

William
04-03-2012, 12:24 PM
The Drunk and Munson......the MGD and UFC of the Paceline forum!!!:p

William

Smiley
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Roy Munson, man that name brings back memories, where is old Roy anyway :banana:

I know Drunk hangs with Roy but Boston can't be safe if you don't know where those two are :)

Climb01742
04-03-2012, 02:31 PM

;)

welcome back, dude.

zap
04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
He said you can order a repro of FC's bike (Domane Team Edition) if you'd like.

The "serious roadie" comment is still a silly one...and I have the -6 stem, compact race geo frame, and a lot of drop.

No thanks.

The Madone with proper H1 geo (as saab posted) fits the bill nicely.

hnovack
04-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Isn't the bike similar to the Pinarello KOBH and ROKH?

tannhauser
04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Isn't the bike similar to the Pinarello KOBH and ROKH?

Not even close.

bostondrunk
04-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Roy Munson, man that name brings back memories, where is old Roy anyway :banana:

I know Drunk hangs with Roy but Boston can't be safe if you don't know where those two are :)

I think Roy was allowed to procreate. Who woulda thought!
:eek:

torquer
04-03-2012, 04:09 PM
I wanted to ask what market overlap, if any, Trek faced between this new model and their Gary Fisher line (longer wheelbase, bigger tire clearance), but looking at Trek's website, the only GF bikes I saw were CX.

Fixed
04-03-2012, 04:15 PM

;)

that is the line i used on mrs fixed :eek:

cheers

tannhauser
04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I wanted to ask what market overlap, if any, Trek faced between this new model and their Gary Fisher line (longer wheelbase, bigger tire clearance), but looking at Trek's website, the only GF bikes I saw were CX.

The Cronus was not a good bike, the Simple City and Transport (he had a say) are very flawed. Time to kill the name in those segments.

Wayne77
04-04-2012, 12:30 PM
snipped

The Cronus was not a good bike

Just curious, can you elaborate? Why was it not a good bike? I don't own one, nor have I ever ridden one, but everything I've heard was that it was a great bike - just got lost in some confusing marketing and issues with the GF line vs the Trek line. Superb reviews. Everything about it seemed to be pretty well thought out; accomodation for larger tires, hidden bosses, unique front end design that reportedly worked _very_ welll. Seemed like a great idea for those who wanted something good for more than just the Thurs night championships... I think GF was onto something. Not everyone should be on an all-out race bike. It was good to see GF thinking out of the box with the Cronus line, and Trek's evolved efforts with the Domane - a great thing for cycling in general imo.

tannhauser
04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
snipped

Just curious, can you elaborate? Why was it not a good bike? I don't own one, nor have I ever ridden one, but everything I've heard was that it was a great bike - just got lost in some confusing marketing and issues with the GF line vs the Trek line. Superb reviews. Everything about it seemed to be pretty well thought out; accomodation for larger tires, hidden bosses, unique front end design that reportedly worked _very_ welll. Seemed like a great idea for those who wanted something good for more than just the Thurs night championships... I think GF was onto something. Not everyone should be on an all-out race bike. It was good to see GF thinking out of the box with the Cronus line, and Trek's evolved efforts with the Domane - a great thing for cycling in general imo.

I wanted to like the Cronus and liked all the features you mentioned. Went into the shop to test ride...and immediately saw an extremely high bb. I know how these ride so said no thanks. There's only so much the rest of the frame can compensate for this; it's bb drop dimension was visibly out of whack from the established well-riding bikes. Gary's bikes reflect his personality - a bit eccentric.

Contrast this with the Domane, which has a huge amount of bb drop, relatively. This is just a much better bike. Just my opinion.

rnhood
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I wanted to like the Cronus and liked all the features you mentioned. Went into the shop to test ride...and immediately saw an extremely high bb. I know how these ride so said no thanks. There's only so much the rest of the frame can compensate for this; it's bb drop dimension was visibly out of whack from the established well-riding bikes. Gary's bikes reflect his personality - a bit eccentric.

Contrast this with the Domane, which has a huge amount of bb drop, relatively. This is just a much better bike. Just my opinion.

At about 7cm the Chronus is right in line with most other race bikes on the market.

I guess all modern race bikes are out of whack.

tannhauser
04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
At about 7cm the Chronus is right in line with most other race bikes on the market.

Whatever. My race bike has 7.4, the Domane has 8.0 in some sizes.
It's personal preference. I used to race a bike with less than 7.0, it was fine for racing. Now I prefer what I have because it requires less nervous attention in the corners on a winding descent. You point it, it goes there, but you can change lines quickly. Of course you can't take one dimension and ascribe the entire package to handle because of it.

Whatever published specs you might see aren't necessarily what's on the bike. The thing I saw resembled a Cannondale m800.

Thanks for your snide remark.

Why can't people here go, "I don't understand - why is this so when a lot of race bikes have x,y,z numbers?"

It's just good manners.

azrider
04-04-2012, 01:46 PM

Ha....my CAAD 10 is close to 7cm, maybe he could recommend a better race bike for me?

tannhauser
04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Ha....my CAAD 10 is close to 7cm, maybe he could recommend a better race bike for me?

Bygones.

tannhauser
04-04-2012, 02:01 PM

Repeated for emphasis: "It's just good manners."

Fixed
04-04-2012, 03:11 PM
the caad 5 b.b.drop. was even higher a lot of riders liked them too
cheers

Kirk Pacenti
04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
the caad 5 b.b.drop. was even higher a lot of riders liked them too
cheers

Iirc, the Paramount 60th anniversary bikes we built at Match had 65mm of drop. Too tall for my taste, but a lot of people liked them.

Cheers,
KP

jpw
04-04-2012, 04:22 PM
The major point about this bike is that the rear end is quite a bit smoother over cobbles, but the front end isn't able to match that improvement. So, riding this frame is likely to be a bit of a Jekyll front wheel and Hyde back wheel experience.

Wayne77
04-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Bygones.

I'm with you on the lower bb drop - I like 8cm. My Concours had 8 and I liked it. It matters to some and not to others. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though, as it would perhaps to others..

Wayne77
04-04-2012, 05:12 PM
speaking of high vs low bb drop, a friend of mine started riding his cross bike with high bb drop on our road rides. He's a short little dude and now he almost rides shoulder to shoulder with me. So there's one benefit of a high bb :)

tannhauser
04-04-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm with you on the lower bb drop - I like 8cm. My Concours had 8 and I liked it. It matters to some and not to others. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though, as it would perhaps to others..

That was, of course, my entire point. This is my prediction: this bike will sell like hotcakes. Many of the buyers won't know what the drop is but will say: "This thing is so comfortable, fast and stable! I love it!" They will be coming from carbon race bikes or steel all-rounders. Doesn't matter. All that matters is they like it. If someone were to ask, one could answer: geo and technology, that's why it's good.

Trek was bold to go with this "traditional" geometry; it will pay off shortly.

Fixed
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
i raced crits on a 8 bb drop i loved the feel but it did offer some .. challenges the first couple of races .
then i got wired to it and it was great
cheers :)