PDA

View Full Version : Dura-ace cables vs. Campagnolo

kceb_cire
03-31-2012, 10:54 PM
So, I'm starting to get ready to cable a bike, and the set of DT cable stops I bought came with Dura-ace hardware. (ie, shifter cables, bb cable guide, dura-ace gear indicator.)
I read in my google search that some "newer" Dura-ace cables ends are the same size as campy.
Can anyone confirm this? Or know at what point these cables are interchangeable? I don't have to use these cables, just thinking it would be cheaper to use them if they were compatible.

jds108
03-31-2012, 11:33 PM
I haven't seen a new DA that's campy compatible. Campy and SRAM are 1.1mm thick, shimano is 1.2. Campy heads are also smaller. I have current ultegra 6700 - they are 1.2. I haven't actually held a 7900 DA, but it's safe to say that 6700 cables would be same diameter as DA. Do not put a shimano cable in a campy shifter, they'll get stuck.

CaptStash
03-31-2012, 11:39 PM
I haven't seen a new DA that's campy compatible. Campy and SRAM are 1.1mm thick, shimano is 1.2. Campy heads are also smaller. I have current ultegra 6700 - they are 1.2. I haven't actually held a 7900 DA, but it's safe to say that 6700 cables would be same diameter as DA. Do not put a shimano cable in a campy shifter, they'll get stuck.

Huh? Then what the heck diameter is Jagwire?

Now I am confused.

CaptStash....

buldogge
04-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Jagwire makes Campy and Shimano compatible inner cables.

If you are referring to outer cabling, and 2009+ Campy, then 4mm Jagwire, Shimano, or SRAM shift housing works fine. Brake housing still the same.

-Mark in St. Louis

Huh? Then what the heck diameter is Jagwire?

Now I am confused.

CaptStash....

ultraman6970
04-01-2012, 12:32 AM
If you want to use shimano or jagwire shimano cables you have to dremel the head, you have to dremel like 1 mm off the head, maybe 1 min using a dremel with a sand round attachment, put the cable in and ready to go. Just in case this is for shifter cables not the brake ones.

buldogge
04-01-2012, 12:46 AM
The brake cable heads also need to be reduced (in head height) if used in CF bladed Ergos...FWIW.

-Mark

If you want to use shimano or jagwire shimano cables you have to dremel the head, you have to dremel like 1 mm off the head, maybe 1 min using a dremel with a sand round attachment, put the cable in and ready to go. Just in case this is for shifter cables not the brake ones.

oldpotatoe
04-01-2012, 07:24 AM
The brake cable heads also need to be reduced (in head height) if used in CF bladed Ergos...FWIW.

-Mark

I just get Jagwire for Campagnolo der and brake inner wires and use them on everything..Campagnolo, shimano and sram. They work fine. opposite is not true-shimano/sram der cables and brake cables, heads are too large for Campag.