PDA

View Full Version : so this whole nail polish on carbon thing...

WR3K
03-31-2012, 02:15 AM
so before i do this...

the nail polish goes over the pea sized area where the clear coat fell into hyper space.

heres the tricky part..

then use some armor all mirror finish polish to even out what may be a raised nail polish coat?

yea? ney? will i just be muddling up a layer of protective nail polish?

Bruce K
03-31-2012, 04:46 AM
I use automotive clearcoat touch up sticks for this sort of thing.

They seem to work great and blend in well.

Try not to overfill the ding but go at it in small amounts to build layers.

BK

WR3K
03-31-2012, 06:26 AM
i guess my main question is. since my first layer of nail polish is on.

will trying to buff it with automotive wax fudge up the nail polish finish?

i mean, it's a carbon/ti hsg, so i dont want to fudge it. if it was a racing bike meant to be smeared across the pavement in a cat 5 crash, i would just throw some layers of nail polish and say screw it :bike:

Mike748
03-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Nail polish is close enough to auto paint that the polish will work fine. Try to fill the chip from the center up so you don't get buildup at the edges.

ultraman6970
03-31-2012, 08:52 AM
You apply the clear... let it dry obviously and then you have to sand and polish oi you want to even out the surface.

No idea what Armour all mirror finish.... is, a lot of products in the market and pretty much what I do use is meguiars because that's what is used in car repairs and works.

As for clear, long time ago I read about Shellac UV Top Coat, this thing wont turn yellow because has UV protection and probably it will stay shining and hard as a rock way longer than regular nail clear coat. I'm under the impression is a polyurethane car paint type of paint but formulated for nails with a fast dry formulation, that's the only way to achieve what they claim and i have seen in pictures.

Good luck.

wallymann
03-31-2012, 09:07 AM
just fill up the chip from the center using whatever product you've chosen. plan on building up above the existing clear. let cure *thoroughly* before trying to finish.

use really, really fine sandpaper to level out the repair -- 400-600-800 grit. wrap it around a pencil or some other device so you have enough fine control to hit *only* the newly applied clear to bring it down to the existing finish.

when leveled, use some nice polishing compound to do final blending and bring out dat shine!

WR3K
03-31-2012, 01:15 PM
thanks guys. this is what the internet is for, immediate, organic knowledge for noobs

vqdriver
03-31-2012, 01:40 PM
I use a 1000 grit
Take hole punch and get a nice circle of it and glue it the eraser end of a new wooden pencil. Easy to work with and you get great accuracy. You can make a dozen for a few buck and work thru them if you need more.