PDA

View Full Version : Gipiemme Rim Re-Lace Part II...

buldogge
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
So, I got the Gipiemme wheels broken down and got the spokes measured...but...I discovered that there are sorta conical nipple washers on the original wheel build.

So...Coupla questions:

1) Should I use the nipple washers on the re-lace or shorten the spoke lengths and run without them??
2) With a deeper section rim such as these, even at 24H, could Sapim Lazers/DT Revs be used both DS and NDS???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

maunahaole
03-30-2012, 09:53 PM
My uninformed opinion says...so take it for what it is worth...those are probably an internal eyelet (like a mavic cxp30) used to spread the stress over more area, so you should probably reuse them.

buldogge
03-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I have no doubt that's what they're there for...I'm just wondering how it's any different then say a Velocity Aerohead or A23. Worst thing is, I seem to have lost one. :help:

-Mark

My uninformed opinion says...so take it for what it is worth...those are probably an internal eyelet (like a mavic cxp30) used to spread the stress over more area, so you should probably reuse them.

maunahaole
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
What is the spoke count? If you have a low spoke count you will probably be getting into higher tension on the spokes - meaning that you probably need something like that to spread the load out - on an a23 you will be using 32 instead of the 16 or 20 on that wheel. Thinking out loud here.....

buldogge
03-30-2012, 10:15 PM
24H.

My latest A23 build was on 28H Record hubs FWIW.

-Mark

What is the spoke count? If you have a low spoke count you will probably be getting into higher tension on the spokes - meaning that you probably need something like that to spread the load out - on an a23 you will be using 32 instead of the 16 or 20 on that wheel. Thinking out loud here.....

oldpotatoe
03-31-2012, 07:59 AM
So, I got the Gipiemme wheels broken down and got the spokes measured...but...I discovered that there are sorta conical nipple washers on the original wheel build.

So...Coupla questions:

1) Should I use the nipple washers on the re-lace or shorten the spoke lengths and run without them??
2) With a deeper section rim such as these, even at 24H, could Sapim Lazers/DT Revs be used both DS and NDS???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Like CXP-30 rims, they are 'eyelets' of sorts and gotta be used.

I would not use Lazer, CX-ray, Revs or Aerolights on the DS of most any rear wheel, IMHO. Use Race or DT comps.

buldogge
03-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanx OP...Looks like I'll have to fab one from brass stock.

Sapim Race on the DS as usual then...just wondering out loud as these are the only "deep" rims I have.

TA
-Mark

Like CXP-30 rims, they are 'eyelets' of sorts and gotta be used.

I would not use Lazer, CX-ray, Revs or Aerolights on the DS of most any rear wheel, IMHO. Use Race or DT comps.

ultraman6970
03-31-2012, 09:01 AM
I have used those oval sapim washers in a set of japanese aero rims that I cant remember the brand, originally those rims had an AL insert also and i did not have any problem, niether tics or any sound coming from the wheel, sincerely i would would grease 2 washers together and put them in place, doubt the rim will know. The only thing is that probably u need to get a shorter spoke, besides that IMO nothing else will happen.

In the only rims that I would be cautious because they were designed to be used with those inserts are the Saaverdra aero section rims, many of you guys dont even know them, were made in argentina back in the day and pretty much was the 1st aero rim mass produced (never figured out why they went OOB).

Every rim of those was sold with a set of AL inserts (i even still have the tool to put the nipples in place), the AL was soft also so you really needed the insert and dont use it or use the wrong washer was calling problems in a near future, but it depends of the builder too. Have friends that got broken eyelets in rims kind'a often for example.