PDA

View Full Version : quill-handlebar install question

IXXI
08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
I am building up my Atlanta and am using a quill stem (single bolt, Ibis ti, to be exact); my question is in trying to get the stem 'open' enough to put the bars thru without mangling them in the process. I have used a Serotta and other quill stems that let you reverse the bolt and use a penny to press against; with this Ibis stem there is no way to use the penny because the area the bolt threads into is closed/welded into the stem...

Any other tricks or tips?

eddief
08-28-2005, 04:40 PM
some sort of wedge (big flat blade screwdriver?) gently tapped in there to open it up? While wedged in could you maneuver the stem carefully onto the bars? I like to do this with the bars off the bike so I have more options in the twisting and turnng. Even with Nitto Technomics this exercise can require patience so as not to scratch the bars too much.

My experience with ti stems would suggest they can handle a bit of this without getting chewed up?

IXXI
08-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Yep, that's what it looks like I might have to do. Thx for the reply; soon as this is built up I'll post pics-- beware: it's ORANGE