PDA

View Full Version : Cellphone and emergencies

KirkKaas
08-28-2005, 03:13 PM
All,

I am thinking that many of you will find this information redundant but I am hoping to influence one person to make a change. On August 16th shortly after a bike ride I suffered a near catastophic medical problem. I was carrying my phone, my drivers license, and my debit card (in case I got hungry). Two things conspired to save the day. One is that I was found by people who knew me and that I had a heart condition, and the EMT's where able to respond in a matter of minutes. The other interestly was that in my cell phonebook I had a number listed under Cardiologist instead Dr. Whatever this helped the paramedics determin a course of action. I have since learned that ICE in cell phones means (in case of emergeny) with contact numbers, also I my wife was listed under wife, daughter under daughter etc. These classifications (while seeming completely strang) helped the paramedics who did not know me figure out who to call. Hoping this info helps someone else.

I am off the bike for awhile

Kirk

Sandy
08-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Excellent advice. I don't own a cell phone, but I know that it is an excellent idea to carry one in case of an emergency, cycling or not.

Thanks for your concern for fellow members and viewers.

Sandy

Bill Bove
08-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah, good advice. I'm such an idiot that I only recently began carrying some ID with me on the bike. Totally stupid but I used to think that I was going to live forever and accidents only happened to other people.

Cadence230
08-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanx for the reminder! My family chipped in for my b-day last month for one. Now I just gotta get off my rear and get one. Glad you're still kickin'. :)

scooter01
08-28-2005, 04:48 PM
That's great advice, I also wear a set of dog tags around my neck from road ID.
I find thatI don't always want to carry my wallet.
the tags cost 20 bucks and are well worth it.

http://www.roadid.com/

wasfast
08-28-2005, 06:22 PM
To make things easier, I made up a Emergency ID printout that is sized to the backside of my phone. I laminated it to the phone so it's somewhat waterproof as well. It has all the relevant medical/contact information should something happen.

I felt this was much more straight forward than some EMT trying to figure out how to get to my contacts in my phone, identify who to call etc. Likewise, I have some medical alerts so wanted those to be apparent as well.

rePhil
08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
"ICE" posts are everywhere lately. But, it's no guarantee ambulances and first responders EMT's are going to start fidgeting with your phone instead of rendering first aid. There are so many brands of phones and accessing your speed dial will not be a priority. More likely someone at the hospital may have the time to fuss with your phone. I like the dog tag route. Plus I did away with the blood type, as I think thats no longer relevant.

beungood
08-28-2005, 09:42 PM
I use an old Police ID and driver's license, and a card they gave us when on a tactical team that has my medical history,allergies,blood typing,family doctor,and next of kin and medical insurance number. I'venot tuned up my motor enough to carry the extra weight of a cellphone...... :banana:

Kevin
08-29-2005, 05:40 AM
I have a Bike Rider ID bracelet. It is a thin metal plate attached to a velcro brand. It has my name, address, home telephone number, wife's cell phone number, office number and blood type. There is also room to add medical conditions. I think that it is a good idea in case of emergency.

Kevin

davids
08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
That's great advice, I also wear a set of dog tags around my neck from road ID.
I find thatI don't always want to carry my wallet.
the tags cost 20 bucks and are well worth it.

http://www.roadid.com/
My wife and I both got Road ID bracelets earlier this year - The $20 pays for a lot more than $20 worth of peace of mind! It goes around the bike's stem when I'm not riding, and on my wrist when I am.

Bruce K
08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I'll support the roadid idea.

I use the wristband, my son uses the dog tags.

We don't ride without them.

Bruce

RichMc
08-29-2005, 12:05 PM
ID, money clip & emergency numbers all go in a small plastic baggie that I carry in the jersey pocket. Cell phone goes in the seat pouch. There are so many different emergenices that can happen. If it's not your life then it could be someone else's that you could make the call for. There may be other reasons for not carrying this stuff but "weight" sure isn't one of them.

djg
08-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Not incidentally, I'm glad to see that you're in a position to post this at all. I hope that you're doing ok.

I was riding along a MUT in Arlington a few months ago when a group of young women in running clothes flagged me down (a sure sign that something out-of-the-ordinary is afoot). A friend of theirs--looked like a college student in generally good condition--was on the ground, breathing but unresponsive. I don't even know what became of her, although by the time help arrived she was conscious and sitting up. I was glad that I had a cell phone handy--apparently, scores of folks had passed by without being able to help.