PDA

View Full Version : Thomson Setback Seatpost Forward Tilt Maxed Out?

redir
03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Hey all,

Need some advice here. I have a Thomson Elite setback post that I've had for years. I've had my Brooks Swift on it in the past till it broke the shackle which took me forever to get replacement parts for. I was using another saddle no problem till now when I got the Brooks fixed up. I don't remember at all this happening before with the Books. I installed the Brooks and the nose is pointed slightly up. Normally this is ok and it probably will be with this saddle but still I have absolutely no wiggle room if indeed I find out after this weekend that I need to tilt it down a bit more.

Anyone ever seen this before? Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

This is as far back as it will go:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Px4NiiIfOoA/T3UXS4MKdgI/AAAAAAAACJo/BKY2L8tJV8g/s1312/2012-03-29_22-14-18_881.jpg

And here you can see the front end of the clamp is all tight and maxed out:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uC6jQHXv8U0/T3UX2Xq7ZyI/AAAAAAAACKA/egZwZGBqlzg/s1312/2012-03-29_22-15-12_110.jpg

Ken Robb
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Interesting: it seems that by bending the shaft back to create set-back Thompson has limited actual nose-down range. I love my straight Thompson but use Nitto posts when I need set-back because the bent Thompson just looks wrong to me.

1centaur
03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I have installed probably 20 different saddle models on Thomson set-back posts and never had the slightest issue with getting close to the point where nose up is as far as I can go. Assuming your bolt lengths are right (i.e., OEM bolts), my first guess is there's something wrong with the rails.

KonaSS
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Doing this by memory as I don't have a Thomson post in front of me, but have you tried switching the top piece of the clamp mechanism around, so that it faces the back?

If memory serves correct, it is not symetric front to back and it way allow you to tilt more.

Tex Willer
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
My post was close to max tilt with SA 72 deg and a flite saddle. With nearly horisontal rails combined with a slack seat tube angle, it doesn't surprise me. You should seal with some silicone or glue at a split opening in front of the lower half cup

pdmtong
03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Doing this by memory as I don't have a Thomson post in front of me, but have you tried switching the top piece of the clamp mechanism around, so that it faces the back?

If memory serves correct, it is not symetric front to back and it way allow you to tilt more.

I thought that too initially, but one end of the top clamp piece is stamped front, and the OP has it oriented correctly in his picture.

I have a thomson sb on my cx, and it is no issue getting the tilt I need with arione on the 73.5d STA. this is very odd.

foo_fighter
03-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Thomson used to make a special top piece for very slack angled seat tubes (on full suspension mountain bikes...like 68deg). If you can get one of those, it would probably solve your problem.

KonaSS
03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I thought that too initially, but one end of the top clamp piece is stamped front, and the OP has it oriented correctly in his picture.

I see it labeled front now, but if you are going to use a saddle based on a design from the 1800s and a seatpost designed in the 2000s, you gotta be willing to willfully ignore some directions :banana:

Mike748
03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I had the same problem with a Thomson setaback and Brooks Pro on a 73sta frame. Switched to a Nitto S83. Maybe when you fixed the saddle it altered the rail angle slightly.

redir
03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah that was the odd thing is that I've used this saddle before. I think maybe you are right in that something happened with the new shackle and tension bolt set up.

I think I may just try and flip that top part around to see what happens.

BTW the frame is a Moots Compact and I think it's a fairly normal seat tube geometry.

cp43
03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
The Thomson FAQ says that if you want to make it a set forward seatpost you can turn the clamp around to get the angle you need. If they recommend that, I can't see anything bad happening if you turn the clamp around in set back mode.

http://bikethomson.com/seatposts/elite/

Click the FAQ tab, I can't link the FAQ directly. ( I also can't seem to insert a link :( )

Hope that helps.

Chris

redir
03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Gee I guess I coulda just gone to the Thomson wensite :bike: :help:

Thanks will give it a try!!! Who knows, knowing me that could have been what I did years ago when I set it up with my Brooks.

pdmtong
03-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Gee I guess I coulda just gone to the Thomson wensite :bike: :help: Thanks will give it a try!!! Who knows, knowing me that could have been what I did years ago when I set it up with my Brooks.

call thomson, that guy dave has been there for years and knows all there is to know about their stuff. very helpful guy

redir
04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Ok I may have to give them a call then. Flipping the top piece around only made matters far worse.