mario ?
dario ?
the jerk ?
eddy ?
sasha ?
ben ?
fisher ?
my pick is richie (r.s.) he walks the walk and talks the talk
i feel lucky to live in the same time as he does .
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
03-30-2012, 06:08 AM
. . . the glasses. :banana:

BBD

Elefantino
03-30-2012, 06:08 AM
None of the above.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site234/2008/1003/20081003__03joeBreeze_300.jpg

Gets it. Always has.

witcombusa
03-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Eddy

witcombusa
03-30-2012, 06:11 AM
None of the above.

Gets it. Always has.

Perhaps a name would be good....:confused:

BumbleBeeDave
03-30-2012, 06:29 AM
. . that's Joe Breeze.

BBD

Perhaps a name would be good....:confused:

Elefantino
03-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Bingo.

verticaldoug
03-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Didi Senft, el Diablo

Liv2RideHard
03-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Cipo gets my vote.

phcollard
03-30-2012, 07:15 AM
I'd say Eddy because even if he's a legend he's a very modest man. And that's quite cool.

But it's true e-Richie deserves votes as well. He's a good balance between intelligent writing and ROFLMAO. Sometimes just a line on his FB page makes me laugh to tears.

Oh and it's not the glasses... it's the hat atmo!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5081603996_2156e04ae4.jpg

Ti Designs
03-30-2012, 07:51 AM
R.S. is a frame builder with a whole lotta attitude. Cipo was a bike racer with a whole lotta style and no lack of attitude. Eddy was a racer turned marketing man - more will power than attitude. How well do you know any of them? Have they changed your life or are they just an image? More to the point, if you knew the real person, would you still have the same image of them?

My pick is John Allis, a former racer without attitude, who's only in style when wearing wool is "in", who spent 30 years after he quit racing to create a whole generation of cyclists in the northeast, 'cause it was the right thing to do.

Cool is Andy Hampsten telling the women next to him on the plane that he was bike touring in Italy (he had just won the Giro). Cool is not knowing that the old guy next to you on the fixed gear with fenders was in the olympics in '64, 68 and 72 and while he can ride away from you on any hill, he's more likely to put a hand on your back and help you keep up. If you have to tell the world you're cool, you're trying way too hard, which is very uncool.

AngryScientist
03-30-2012, 07:54 AM
R.S. is a frame builder with a whole lotta attitude. Cipo was a bike racer with a whole lotta style and no lack of attitude. Eddy was a racer turned marketing man - more will power than attitude. How well do you know any of them? Have they changed your life or are they just an image? More to the point, if you knew the real person, would you still have the same image of them?

My pick is John Allis, a former racer without attitude, who's only in style when wearing wool is "in", who spent 30 years after he quit racing to create a whole generation of cyclists in the northeast, 'cause it was the right thing to do.

Cool is Andy Hampsten telling the women next to him on the plane that he was bike touring in Italy (he had just won the Giro). Cool is not knowing that the old guy next to you on the fixed gear with fenders was in the olympics in '64, 68 and 72 and while he can ride away from you on any hill, he's more likely to put a hand on your back and help you keep up. If you have to tell the world you're cool, you're trying way too hard, which is very uncool.

http://ruhulblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/applause.gif?w=311

Hawker
03-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Nice.

William
03-30-2012, 08:03 AM
The Badger.

For decades of continually trying to dispel the myth that cyclists are a bunch of sissies...

http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/6/6a/6a9381a7_Hinault-punch-PINP-thumb.jpg

http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/2/21/21277914_badger1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yFeC-Omt3c8/SI-JcOjEnpI/AAAAAAAAAHk/n4Xwa-It9Z4/s400/hinault.jpg

Runner up: Hoogerland for perseverance and demonstrating a never quit attitude...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo4pjhB1cI1qf40tvo1_400.jpg

William

jvp
03-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Jens V. is cool.
And Eddy, always.

phcollard
03-30-2012, 08:18 AM

All these guys are quite famous and dare I say "well documented". You can read dozens of books about Eddy, see hundreds of videos about him, some of them very personal, you can read thousands of posts by R.S. and so on. I mean if they weren't cool would they be able to lie about their coolness for so long? And how many people do you _really_ know as if they were your brother? I'm lucky if I can count 10. In this case I pick my twin friends Ron and Don. They're authentic, and cool, and in a way they have changed my life. You should know them :)

velotel
03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
None of the above.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site234/2008/1003/20081003__03joeBreeze_300.jpg

Gets it. Always has.
Had a big smile seeing that picture. He's going to be here in June, coming for the 25th anniversary of the first mountain bike world championship which was held in Villard de Lans. I was charged with rounding up the americans to come over since I know most of them from back then. To be honest I was pretty amazed when Joe said he'd come over; never imagined he would. Coming over with his son and wife and coming early so we can get in some good road riding. I've lined up some good bikes for he and his son to ride. Haven't seen Joe in years and years so riding again with him will be special. Glad to see you slapped him up there in the post so soon. A good call indeed.

zap
03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Coolest................on TV............Cipo.

Never met Cipo.

I've had the pleasure of meeting several pro cyclists...........most humble was Indurain.

firerescuefin
03-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Propped up and contrived personas (trying to be the coolest guy in the room) are small, tired, and boorish.

As others have mentioned, some of the most accomplished people I know...in and outside of the sport are incredibly devoted and intense, but also humble and unassuming.

Being 38, I don't have the same direct experience with history that many of you do. Hincapie and Voigt have always been guys that I have admired. Guys that were world class in their own right, but always willing to bury themselves for the team, and gentleman on the road (not gamesmanship guys).

In the bike world, a guy like Dave Kirk is another....impressive building Palmares/innovator, a world class craftsman, (never have met) but from all accounts a really good guy.... but seems not to be overly impressed with himself.

Tyler Evans (Firefly) is putting out some of the coolest stuff I have seen and seems to "get it". Appears to be very passionate about what he does, and comes across as a good guy.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own definition of cool.

Bob Loblaw
03-30-2012, 09:06 AM
+1 for Voigt
Also +1 for the badger. When I was younger I thought he was just an overbearing, egoist a**, but as we both get older, I like him more and more.

+1 for Kirk

Also going to add David Millar. I like his class (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-pays-tribute-to-weylandt), his role in the sport since going clean (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-doesnt-fancy-olympics-as-team-gbs-black-sheep), and his passion (http://bicycling.com/blogs/sittingin/2010/04/16/for-the-sake-of-racing/).

BL

Fixed
03-30-2012, 09:07 AM
:banana::cool: modern jazz) restrained and relaxed.
cheers
the bike peg monk

fuzzalow
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Propped up and contrived personas (trying to be the coolest guy in the room) are small, tired, and boorish.

No disagreement there. The farce is exacerbated by the fan-bois clambering over each of their brethren's backs for acceptance to the clique. To be even keeled about this, some of the contrived cool might be for the purpose of distinguishing their brand. I always believed the persona to be bohemian insouciance deployed as marketing but perhaps others believed it to be actual. As like in reality television.

Until one has actual dealings with some bike industry person, can't know fiction from cool.

Fixed
03-30-2012, 09:14 AM
So you wanna jump out yo trick bag,
Ease on into a hip bag.
But you ain't just exactly sure what's hip.

So you start to let your hair grow.
Spent big bucks on your wardrobe.
But somehow you know there's much more to the trip.

What is hip? Tell me tell me, if you think ya know.
What is hip? And if you're really hip, the passing years will show,
You into a hip trip, maybe hipper than hip.
But what is hip?

So you became part of the new breed.
Been smoking only the best weed.
Hanging out with so-called hippest set.
Been seen in all the right places,
Seen with just the right faces.
You should be satisfied,
But still it ain't quite right.

What is hip? Tell me tell me if you think you know.
What is hip? And if you're really hip.
The passing years would show,
You into a hip trip, maybe hipper than hip.
What is hip?

Hipness is
what it is!

Hipness is
what it is!

Hipness is
what it is!

Sometimes hipness is what it ain't!

You done went and found you a guru,
In an effort to find you a new you.
And maybe even managed to raise your conscience level.

As you're striving to find the right road,
There's one thing you should know:
What's hip today might become passe'.

What is hip? Tell me tell me if you think you know.
What is hip? And if you're really hip, the passing years would show
That you into a hip trip. Maybe hipper than hip.
WHAT IS HIP?

goonster
03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Cool is Andy Hampsten telling the women next to him on the plane that he was bike touring in Italy (he had just won the Giro).
If that is really how it went down, it's pretty much the coolest anecdote ever.

Lovetoclimb
03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Michael Barry. Met him outside Girona in December, what a great person.

soulspinner
03-30-2012, 09:36 AM

Very cool. Looks like those bars are very narrow, prolly just the pic.

1happygirl
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Ti you and your post are cool.

David Kirk
03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't cool from shineola so I will only reflect on people I actually know and have spent at least a small bit of time with -

Davis Phinney - I had the chance to ride with Davis a few times back in his prime and he was the warmest and most easy going guy you can imagine. Just a joy to spend time with. He'd come to visit the Serotta factory for a few days each year and 'help out' as he could on the shop floor to be one of the guys and up shop moral. It worked. I remember him getting stuck sandblasting (as nasty a job as it sounds FWIW) for an entire morning. The guys in the blasting area had no idea who he was and just kept feeding him more bikes to blast and he just kept taking them. I think he didn't want to let the guys down so he just kept at it. I think he was blasting for a few hours straight. He came out with a smile. Riding with him was a real display of confidence. He knew he was the fastest guy and never felt the need to prove it in any way and would just ride and talk and enjoy the road and the company. Pure class.

Ben Serotta - say what you want about how the company is currently being run and how bad the new website is...... the man is a treasure. Simple and easy to spend time with and a fun riding partner. He launched the careers of many a f-builder and is very proud of that even if those builders went on to take a wee bit of his market share. He is generous with the folks that work for him and a true friend. I know deep down if the poop ever hits the fan for me that I can call him and there will instantly be help on the way. He is a good man.

Peter O. - only a very lucky few will know who Peter is and I'm sure he is fine with that. He is the guy who got me my start in the bike biz. He taught me, and so many others, what being a professional was all about. He recognizes the difference between a fashion trend and true change for the better more clearly than anyone I've ever met. I can't tell you how many times as a kid working with him that I came into work and was all excited about some new bike stuff only to have Peter say "tell me how it's better". It sometimes felt like he was raining on my parade but the reality was that he was teaching me the difference between fashion to sell stuff and true substance. There are a lot of builders whom I wish could spend a week working aside Peter so they could benefit from his pragmatic teachings. Peter would never see himself as cool and would be shocked to hear that I think he is a hero but this is one of the core reasons he is.

The list in my head is very long but time is short so I will leave it at that. Suffice it to say that the coolest guys out there are the ones that just are.........and feel no need to tell you they are. The three I've mentioned have that going in spades.

Time to heat up some metal.

Dave

sc53
03-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Michael Barry. Met him outside Girona in December, what a great person.

Is that the father or the son? The father is amazingly cool and unassuming. I met him at the Ramble up at DBRK's and he is definitely that old guy on a fixie with fenders who effortlessly pulls away from everyone while climbing a hill in the Finger Lakes.

velotel
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Along with Joe Breeze who has already been put up I'll add a few. Steve Potts, one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Also happens to be a fast, hard rider. Also builds beautiful bikes, no one does it better. Kent Eriksen, again one of the nicest, easiest going people you'll ever run across. And one damned fine rider, strong and fast. Like Steve, builds beautiful bikes, no one does it better. Ned Overend, an amazing guy. He's coming over for the mountain bike world championship 25th anniversary. Seeing him again will be great. I don't believe there has ever been a champion rider more open and easy going than Ned, outside of Andy Hampsten of course. Davis Phinney, already listed, had the good chance to ride mountain bikes with him out in Moab a few times. Nothing I can add to what has already been said about him. Andy Hampsten, already listed, nothing more to add. Vittorio Adorni, I met him and was amazed at this guy's character. I don't know him but what I saw and heard puts him right in the class of finding a nicer person can't be achieved. Hell of a racing record, including a rainbow jersey. The classic italian gentleman. Love to ride with him, if I could; he looks in great shape. Bernard Thevenet, 2-time TdF winner, low key, seems distant at first then turns out to be very cool indeed. Haven't ridden with him, yet. Looks in great shape. Joe Murray, very fun to ride with, if you've the form. Low key, super nice.

Gummee
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM
IDK if y'all have noticed, but people that are truly good at what they do are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Its the ones that *think* they're the best are the biggest douches.

I've noticed that across several fields: riding, money, etc.

M

Liv2RideHard
03-30-2012, 12:51 PM

Amen to this brother. Well done. If Hampsten said that...awesome. period.

Jens V. is cool.

Jens is quite the gentlemen (off the bike, on the bike he'll rip your legs off) and a real humble dude. High up on my all time faves list for sure.

Ned Overend, an amazing guy. He's coming over for the mountain bike world championship 25th anniversary. Seeing him again will be great. I don't believe there has ever been a champion rider more open and easy going than Ned, outside of Andy Hampsten of course.

I was fortunate to meet Ned over dinner once in Gainesville then ride the Tour de Felasco with him the next day. I should be clear...I attempted to ride with him. It was brief. There was no way I was going to hang on to him even if I strapped a motor to my mtb. Dude is smooth as butter and fast as lightning. Super cool, down to earth, a regular guy like us and a dude I hope to run into again.

Hawker
03-30-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't cool from shineola so I will only reflect on people I actually know and have spent at least a small bit of time with -

Davis Phinney - I had the chance to ride with Davis a few times back in his prime and he was the warmest and most easy going guy you can imagine. Just a joy to spend time with. He'd come to visit the Serotta factory for a few days each year and 'help out' as he could on the shop floor to be one of the guys and up shop moral. It worked. I remember him getting stuck sandblasting (as nasty a job as it sounds FWIW) for an entire morning. The guys in the blasting area had no idea who he was and just kept feeding him more bikes to blast and he just kept taking them. I think he didn't want to let the guys down so he just kept at it. I think he was blasting for a few hours straight. He came out with a smile. Riding with him was a real display of confidence. He knew he was the fastest guy and never felt the need to prove it in any way and would just ride and talk and enjoy the road and the company. Pure class.

Ben Serotta - say what you want about how the company is currently being run and how bad the new website is...... the man is a treasure. Simple and easy to spend time with and a fun riding partner. He launched the careers of many a f-builder and is very proud of that even if those builders went on to take a wee bit of his market share. He is generous with the folks that work for him and a true friend. I know deep down if the poop ever hits the fan for me that I can call him and there will instantly be help on the way. He is a good man.

Peter O. - only a very lucky few will know who Peter is and I'm sure he is fine with that. He is the guy who got me my start in the bike biz. He taught me, and so many others, what being a professional was all about. He recognizes the difference between a fashion trend and true change for the better more clearly than anyone I've ever met. I can't tell you how many times as a kid working with him that I came into work and was all excited about some new bike stuff only to have Peter say "tell me how it's better". It sometimes felt like he was raining on my parade but the reality was that he was teaching me the difference between fashion to sell stuff and true substance. There are a lot of builders whom I wish could spend a week working aside Peter so they could benefit from his pragmatic teachings. Peter would never see himself as cool and would be shocked to hear that I think he is a hero but this is one of the core reasons he is.

The list in my head is very long but time is short so I will leave it at that. Suffice it to say that the coolest guys out there are the ones that just are.........and feel no need to tell you they are. The three I've mentioned have that going in spades.

Time to heat up some metal.

Dave

Nice to read this about Davis. I heard him speak last summer and promptly bought his new book. A good guy who is not giving up.

tiretrax
03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Great selection of "cool" people. I'd throw in a few more of the 7-11 crew, Hincappie, Connie Carpenter, Taylor Phinney, Ron Kiefel and maybe Ochiwicz -he seems to be a key to the pros that I've met and like. Most are hardworking and unassuming.

Ira Ryan is another framebuilder should be mentioned. I talked to most of the framebuilders and the celebrities at NAHBS 2011 in Austin. I found only one who I thought was conceited.

biker72
03-30-2012, 03:06 PM
#1 Eddy of course.
#2 Johnny Hoogerland may not be the fastest guy in the peleton but this guy never ever gives up.

Louis
03-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Whoever came in last in the Iditabike.

majorpat
03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Bob Roll

nate2351
03-30-2012, 07:18 PM
My vote as of last summer.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VoP7HaRRMwI/TiTT9lKyT0I/AAAAAAAAEbs/NAgixM3Fuyw/s1600/Thomas+on+a+second+rest+day.jpg

67-59
03-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Slyvain Chavanel: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chavanel-turns-down-business-class-flight-to-argentina

Leading by example. That's cool, IMHO.

zmudshark
03-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Builders or riders?

I have no idea who the coolest builder is, but Cipo gets my vote for coolest (living) rider.

Who else could pull off his look and still win?

BobC
03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Sean Yates.

The guy Chuck Norris modeled himself after.

bheight1
03-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Coolest guy in cycling, I don't know--but if it's the coolest cyclist my reference and selection is Miguel Indurain. The best rider of his generation, far superior than any other rider in physiology: cardiac output, resting heartrate, lung capacity / VO2 max. A very quiet, humble and modest man--who worked as unassumming domestique and then dominated the early 90's Grand Tours and did it in a very tranquillo--"cool" way on the bike. He lost the '96 Tour, simply retired/ left the sport and went back to his hometown to be with his family.

Recently, Cadel Evans was pretty cool under pressure to win last years Tour.

rounder
03-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Obviously, the racers are cool.

I would also vote for the builders here: Ben Serotta! David Kirk, Kelly Bedford, Dave Wages. No particular order...they are all great.

bobswire
03-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Chris Horner.
Cascade Cycling Classic 2008
Billy Demong (also a Nordic skier for the US Ski Team!) from Team American R.A.D.D./AGEL crashed with 2k to go, bike and body completely thrashed.

Horner stopped and said, “Hey dude, get on.” and then rode them both up the hill to the finish.

From that day on nothing he has done has changed my mind the Horner is cool.

http://gritandglimmer.com/chris-horner-gives-fallen-rider-and-bike-a-2k-ride-to-the-finish/

Lovetoclimb
03-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Is that the father or the son? The father is amazingly cool and unassuming. I met him at the Ramble up at DBRK's and he is definitely that old guy on a fixie with fenders who effortlessly pulls away from everyone while climbing a hill in the Finger Lakes.

It was the latter I met in Girona. Heard similar great things about the father. Both just exude the qualities of a person passionate about bicycling that I strive to match.

tsarpepe
03-31-2012, 09:51 AM
"Cool" obviously has come to mean different things, as people choose to call "cool" everything they like, including "humble," "generous," etc. But if we stick with the original meaning of someone who stands out by his demeanor, appearance, and projects a certain irresistible "look", well, there is Cipollini... and then there's everyone else.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Not:

Germany_chris
03-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Richard Cunningham

Ned Overend

Tinker

Jason E
03-31-2012, 02:42 PM
What's the matter with you people?!?!?!

Jacky... Durand...

MasterOMayhem
03-31-2012, 07:32 PM
People i have personally met:

Richard Sachs. met him, spoke to him at granogue nice guy
James Bleakey Told him I bought one of his frames from a a certain gentleman in Wales, he knew the guy. I asked about the life warranty, he said he would honor it and shook my hand. I now have two black sheeps.
Mike Zanconato Gave me tons of time at NABHS was impressed with his easy going nature.
Floyd landis. Saw him on the streets of Manhattan. Stopped to chat took a few pix nice guy

nate2351
03-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Not:

If Pippo had as many wins as Chipo would people think his antics were cool? Just a thought.

FlashUNC
03-31-2012, 09:17 PM
What's the matter with you people?!?!?!

Jacky... Durand...

Who doesn't love DuDu?

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/03/17/2/apw2002052949770_600.jpg

FixedNotBroken
03-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Cipo gets my vote.

Sick looking Pinarello with the Campy :) look at that Cinelli equipment :cool:

eippo1
03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Have had the pleasure of working with John Allis before he retired and he is truely a wonderful human being. Another overall great guy that just so happens to be one of the fastest racers in my area is Mark McCormack. Very humble and great to talk to, but could tear your legs off out on the tarmac.

professerr
04-01-2012, 12:00 AM

No disagreement there. The farce is exacerbated by the fan-bois clambering over each of their brethren's backs for acceptance to the clique. To be even keeled about this, some of the contrived cool might be for the purpose of distinguishing their brand. I always believed the persona to be bohemian insouciance deployed as marketing but perhaps others believed it to be actual. As like in reality television.

Quality + Contrived Cool = Sales. ATMO...
The best marketing tells you a story you want to believe.