PDA

View Full Version : Riding on a flat tire

Wilkinson4
03-29-2012, 10:42 PM
I won't get into what an idiot I am for not being prepared on the same path I flatted last week on... Oops, I did it again and was forced to ride 5 miles on a flat. Curious, what is the longest you have ever had to ride on a flat tire? Did you trash the tire? Any other damage, other than pride?

I had a guy pull over to help my sorry ass and his patch kit was so old that it was useless, glue had solidified. At that point, I just hardened up and rode on.

mIKE

regularguy412
03-29-2012, 10:57 PM
9 miles for me. I was on a solo ride on the road. I had plenty of tubes, but had managed to forget my frame pump. This was in the day before cell phones and CO2 cartridges. Had to stand quite a bit, as the ,bump, bump, bump of the flatted tube where the valve was put in hit the pavement on every tire rotation. Not fun sitting in the saddle. Maximum speed was about 10 mph.

Mike in AR:beer:

DRZRM
03-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Old MTB trick, pull the tube and stuff the tire with grass to protect your rim. Likely less effective with road tires.

vqdriver
03-29-2012, 11:56 PM
I've done the grass thing, only with wads of dried leaves. Serviceable for sure but I did have the tire rolloff a couple times.

benitosan1972
03-29-2012, 11:59 PM
try riding with a front flat for several miles with grade changes... not easy! :mad:

Louis
03-30-2012, 12:03 AM
I have to say, I agree - it is foolish to ride clinchers without a patch kit (or a self-gluing patch, that might not last but will get you home) or a spare tube.

Edit - but I know I've done it at least once...

Fixed
03-30-2012, 05:32 AM
tubulars ride better

flat
cheers
flat back, put weight on front wheel and get home
cheers

charliedid
03-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Ride?

I would have walked.

jvp
03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
I think in my old zinn book he says you can cut the tube at the tear/hole, tie the ends into knots, and proceed from there. Never tried it...

AngryScientist
03-30-2012, 07:25 AM
I think in my old zinn book he says you can cut the tube at the tear/hole, tie the ends into knots, and proceed from there. Never tried it...

i've done that - it works acceptably, but not great, definite hop in the tire. this guy probably didnt even have a pump though.

fwiw, i would walk or call a cab before i trashed one of my rims riding more than a few hundred feet on a flat.

Mark McM
03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
About 8 miles for me (in a cold rain), after two flats (the original tube and then the spare tube) and then finding out the glue in my patch kit was sold old it had dried out. It was a slow ride with lots of standing to shift weight off the wheel over rough pavement. But the tire (32mm wide and relatively thick tread) was virtually undamaged, and I still use it today on my beater/commuter/rain bike.

EDS
03-30-2012, 08:52 AM
i've done that - it works acceptably, but not great, definite hop in the tire. this guy probably didnt even have a pump though.

fwiw, i would walk or call a cab before i trashed one of my rims riding more than a few hundred feet on a flat.

If you are careful, riding a few miles is on a flat is not going to trash a rim. I unfortunately have the experience to make that claim.

redir
03-30-2012, 09:06 AM
About 25 miles for me. Had tubes and a patch kit but no pump. Had to clime and descend as well. I thought about walking and thought to hell with that. Plus they were cheap Boncrapper wheels. And actually when I got home they were not too horrible. I just sanded the edges smooth and they were good to go.

Louis
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
If there is any car traffic at all, I hitch a ride. (I don't ride with a cell phone.)

rugbysecondrow
03-30-2012, 11:07 AM

Ditto

harryblack
03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
14 miles-- two flats, one tube/CO2, forgot patch kit (have also forgotten bike bag, lost CO2 chuck, had spare with hole in it, every possible mistake!) for NYC residents this was from the GWB to Brooklyn. It's an ass pain but do-able, this was Vittoria Rubino 700 x 23 on 32 spoke Open Pro. Wheel was fine upon return, wood slats on Brooklyn Bridge were the hairiest part. Granted this was July 4 morning thus less traffic AND my disinclination to take the train back (which I have done on another occasion with no shop open etc.)

Never understood fellow racing dorks btw who walk in bare feet when they flat-- like either your wheel or shoes are SO precious. (Hint: Sidi sells replacement heel pads.)

For a # of reasons, it shouldn't be a big deal to ride a flat 4-5 miles on a flat on flat-ish terrain; mountains or consistent steep rollers is a different story.

I won't get into what an idiot I am for not being prepared on the same path I flatted last week on... Oops, I did it again and was forced to ride 5 miles on a flat. Curious, what is the longest you have ever had to ride on a flat tire? Did you trash the tire? Any other damage, other than pride?

I had a guy pull over to help my sorry ass and his patch kit was so old that it was useless, glue had solidified. At that point, I just hardened up and rode on.

mIKE

MGS9500
03-30-2012, 07:56 PM
7 miles once with a front flat. I was carrying two tubes. The first had a broke presta valve at the tube/stem interface. The second tube got a pinch on installation. I didn't have a patch as who ever trashes two spare tubes.

Anyway, riding home keeping the pressure off the front was a problem when trying to steer. Turning corners at any speed over 5 MPH was almost impossible.

I was riding Campy Eurus rims. At the end of the ride, the rims were perfect.

Wilkinson4
03-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Well, checked the rim (Kinlin) and tire (Grifo XS) and both look good. Decided to try some caffelatex sealant in both tubes and if I forget my bag again, I'll just have to be publically torched!

It was slow 5 miles. At the rear so I unweighted that back while riding but I had a sore back at the end of it. It was all dirt trail.

Can't believe some of the longer rides on flats yall have done.

mIKE

ultraman6970
03-30-2012, 08:59 PM
My longest ride in a flat?? like an hour... flat the spare tubular coming back and i was like 25 km from home, the worst?? the front one :/

Jaq
03-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Did 10 miles the other day on a flat tubie. Didn't have a spare; just sealant and CO2. But the valve-stem on the tubie failed, so no way to fix it.

Got a new tire (Tufo Elite 23), tossed it on... and it blew out today after I hit some wire-thingy in the street. Great big jagged hole after just 500 miles on the tire. Damn thing wasn't even broke in.

Sigh. Such is this cycling life of ours.

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-31-2012, 04:41 AM

+1

Last time I flatted (3 times, ran out of patches:confused:), stopped, sighed, took my "clown" shoes off, and walked the 2 miles home. Now I never leave without 2 patch kits and a spare tube is always under the saddle. Rarely flat, now that I'm "prepared".

JLP
03-31-2012, 11:40 PM
A few years ago, I started riding longer brevets. I typically carry a frame pump, 3 tubes, patch kit, and an extra tire.

Belt, suspenders, and bibs.