PDA

View Full Version : Saddle sore antiseptic?

Liv2RideHard
03-29-2012, 08:07 PM
So I have developed a minor saddle sore. I want to nip this thing in the bud. I have raided the ointments my wife uses on the kiddos...A&D, Desitin, Boudreax's butt paste. Is there anything else out there I can use? I would prefer it be something I can p/u at the corner pharmacy. Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers.

ultraman6970
03-29-2012, 08:10 PM
You should try hot peppers paste, or tabasco :D

Louis
03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
This is Josh's formula (aka Too Tall)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17275

Kitty Creme

4 parts bag balm
2 parts monostat, a yeast infection cream
1 part hydrocortisone cream lists 1% cortisone

Mix well and stuff it back into the bag balm container and apply some kitty stickers I really can not remember who gave me the mix...probably Seana Hogan.

Hello Kitty Creme

Add 1 gram menthol crystals.

In another thread TT posted this:

TMC - I'll quit being an idiot and offer this...a homebrew arse balm that I've made up for several locals with issues. I use this esp. for long rides. Put er' "right there" and don't be shy.

The bag balm is antibacterial and hydrocortisone is magic....otherwise fighting yeasties is a good idea too.

4 parts bag balm
2 parts lotrimin (monostat, a yeast infection cream)
1 part hydrocortisone (like cream for poison ivy that
lists 1% cortisone to stop swelling.
Mix

Mike748
03-29-2012, 09:07 PM
neosporin works for me

regularguy412
03-29-2012, 10:51 PM
StaphAseptic works well for me. I also use Lotrimin and Neosporin. Make sure to wash the area well with good ole soap and water. I've also been known to sterilize a needle and gently lance the boil,, if it has not already broken open on its own -- then apply one of the above and rotate them among applications.

Mike in AR:beer:

Steve in SLO
03-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Be sure to clean and dry/air out well prior to applying anything creamy. Phisohex works well to kill off a great variety of skin microbes. In most cases it is better to let it stay uncovered than to slather something on during your normal non-riding hours. Neosporin and some antifungals are a good idea. Watch the hydrocortisone because using too much can cause the skin to thin,causing longer lasting problems. My fav is to sprinkle a bit of antifungal powder onto a bit of Bag Balm, then apply. Best of luck. SSores can be a pain:eek:

eddief
03-30-2012, 12:05 AM
http://www.hibiclens.com/athletes.html

might help.

LouDeeter
03-30-2012, 05:23 AM
I posted this on the thread about butt creams. You need something now, but for future reference, this stuff is amazing. My daughter swears by it for controlling diaper rash and it is one of the few chamois creams that is specifically designed to not irritate sensitive spots of the anatomy. But, it is a bit more expensive than some of the others.

http://www.enduranceshield.com/chamois-creme

It seems that I continue to try different chamois creams. I've used Assos, Bag Balm, Chamois Butt'r, and my latest cheap alternative, Noxzema. I've now found another, Endurance Shield. I must admit to being prejudiced as it is a local Florida product and I know the sales rep and have met the professional athlete who began selling it. My wife first tried their 45 spf sunscreen and loved it for the natural and healthy ingredients. The Chamois cream is about on par with the cost for Assos, which isn't cheap. The consistency is thicker than Assos and very creamy. It is also made from natural ingredients and my daughter even uses it for her toddler's bottom for diaper rash! You can buy it on their site or email:

heather@enduranceshield.com

Liv2RideHard
03-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Will be heading to my local pharmacy this afternoon to p/u the necessary goods y'all have suggested. Wife is tiring of my raids on the babies nursery ointments. Must take care of the undercarriage though.

Thanks for all the input gents. Cheers.

MattTuck
03-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Another thing to try, depending on where it is located exactly is a hair dryer, to get the area good and dry. after a shower, use the cool setting to make sure the whole under carriage is dry, and just hang out for a little while with exposure to dry/clean air. That area is notoriously moist and hard to keep really clean.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2012, 08:05 AM
So I have developed a minor saddle sore. I want to nip this thing in the bud. I have raided the ointments my wife uses on the kiddos...A&D, Desitin, Boudreax's butt paste. Is there anything else out there I can use? I would prefer it be something I can p/u at the corner pharmacy. Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers.

I know some will not like the fact it's petroleum based but///

http://www.drnaylor.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=23&Itemid=54

shower, dry, wipe area with rubbing alcohol(yahoo!), and then some(little bit) of this..works great, medicated.

Wee bit down there before ya ride.

Sell the 9 oz tins. Like bag Balm but less lanolin(less greasy), oil of clove, smells a little bit better.

Hartlin
03-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I swear by Dr Hauschka Facial Steam Bath. Apply it for a day or two to dry it out and it's usually healed by then.

Luckily my girlfriend is a Dr Hauschka certified esthetician so I have a bathroom filled with skin care products.

Bob Loblaw
03-30-2012, 08:43 AM
This, boxers, and loose fitting pants.

BL

Another thing to try, depending on where it is located exactly is a hair dryer, to get the area good and dry. after a shower, use the cool setting to make sure the whole under carriage is dry, and just hang out for a little while with exposure to dry/clean air. That area is notoriously moist and hard to keep really clean.

0nelove
03-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Tea tree oil mixed with a little almond or sesame oil (like a 1:3 mixture) and a little diaper rash cream. Works well for me.

DfCas
03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
I've had success with salicylic acid, which is used for warts,acne, etc. Usually drugstores have a generic bottle or it is with the Dr Scholls foot stuff.