PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Stolen Serotta

toosahn
03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but damn, this is sad.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2928231494.html

Louis
03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Wow - there can't be many of those out there. That's a bummer.

Hawker
03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Sorry Bro, hope it makes it's way back to you.

cookietom
03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Go to Lake Merritt Flea Market in Oakland,Ca,,there are many( I mean lots of them! ) stolen bicycles selling so cheap.

toosahn
03-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Its not my bike

dave thompson
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
An Ottrott DKS and in just my size..........hm......

ultraman6970
03-29-2012, 07:13 PM
The biggest problem the reducers will have is to make the frame to banish because that bike is too special to ignore it.

MRB
03-29-2012, 10:40 PM
An Ottrott DKS and in just my size..........hm......
Good Eye! I noticed the Ottrot, but totally looked passed the DKS RT.

jpw
03-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Only a fool would steal that model of Serotta - it's just too easy to recognize, and hard to camouflage.

I feel for the owner.

jeo99
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Are you guys sure it's an Ottrott? The picture I see looks more like a panel paint job but maybe I am wrong. The picture quality is not great.

:confused:

vav
03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
That sucks! Hope Karma hunts the thief down because I doubt police actually gives a damn.

nighthawk
03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Am I the only one wondering why on earth anyone would lock that up in downtown Oakland? or downtown anywhere?

cookietom
03-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Am I the only one wondering why on earth anyone would lock that up in downtown Oakland? or downtown anywhere?

Good point.....:eek:

Aaron O
03-30-2012, 10:25 AM

God forbid someone buy a nice bike and use it. I lock up pretty nice stuff in my area and I don't expect it to be stolen. If it is, I'll post an ad just like that guy's...and also offer $200 to the bike messengers for getting it back for me with a bonus of $20 per tooth of the rider.

tsarpepe
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM

To continue this line of bewilderment: why is it so hard to treat a real road bike as a real road bike, i.e., take it out of your house, get on it, ride it on the open road, come back, put it back in your house until your next ride?! For every other purpose (coffee shop, ice cream stand, etc.), get a beater or a beach cruiser. If you absolutely HAVE to show off, get a face tattoo. It can't be stolen.

nighthawk
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
I didn't say the person shouldn't be riding the bike... I guess I would just chain it up PeeWee Herman style... and in a place that gets frequent foot traffic.

It's certainly not the bike owner's fault... I just don't think I would take the chance with that bike.

nighthawk
03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
To continue this line of bewilderment: why is it so hard to treat a real road bike as a real road bike, i.e., take it out of your house, get on it, ride it on the open road, come back, put it back in your house until your next ride?! For every other purpose (coffee shop, ice cream stand, etc.), get a beater or a beach cruiser. If you absolutely HAVE to show off, get a face tattoo. It can't be stolen.

I have a campus/commuter bike for just this reason. I'll ride it to run errands in the city... or around campus when I have classes... but I won't be heart broken if some drunk f'wad kicks in the spokes.. or someone decides they want to steal it and ruin my day.

Either way.. losing a bike like that has to be devastating.. I hope things work out and s/he get's it back.

avalonracing
03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
I would be great to live in a world where people won't take things that are not theirs. Some people are opportunists others believe it is their business to steal (yes, even at the corporate level) but that is the way it is.
I don't leave my bikes anywhere unattended (not even to run into grab an expresso) and it sucks to be that way.

I once after a hard ride left my Legend Ti on my front porch overnight. Luckily I live in a pretty good neighborhood and found it there in the morning but that was luck because a few years later I came out to find my Acura Integra floating on a few up-ended bricks and the stock aluminum wheels long gone.

Mike748
03-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Are you guys sure it's an Ottrott? The picture I see looks more like a panel paint job but maybe I am wrong. The picture quality is not great.

:confused:

100% sure. 2002 Ottrott DKS with F1 fork. Looks like about a size 58.

I have one just like it.

monkeybanana86
03-31-2012, 05:16 AM

I feel his pain. Right by my work there are some beautiful rides in Woodside CA. I go for a two hour spin and before catching the train back to SF sometimes I stop by Safeway to pick up some groceries. Those are the days when I can't bring a beater because of the type of ride. Maybe the guy was just coming back from a ride from Mount Diablo and was dying of thirst. It sucks that riding a road bike means either being on it at all times or leaving it at home. And one can even get attached to a beater :(

I hear in Japan people don't even lock their bikes up because you just don't steal someone else's horse!

LouDeeter
03-31-2012, 05:58 AM
Just a comment about the times. I grew up in a rural county where we had one sheriff, one deputy, one state patrolman covering the entire county. The county seat didn't even have a police department. Now, the county seat has over 35 members of their own police department, the sheriff's staff is over 40 and there are half a dozen state patrolmen working the area. We didn't even lock our doors back then, but now, people will drive up to a house, steal everything in it, and be gone, right in the middle of the day. I suspect it is easy to fence stolen property in an area like Oakland/San Francisco as well. I have often wondered how many craigslist and eBay items are stolen to begin with. I suspect a clever thief who knows his business could easily strip the parts, sell them, and not even worry about trying to sell the more easily identified frame. Too bad, but as the economic recession continues, more and more people will turn to crime to get by.

ultraman6970
03-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Actually now a days probably they do, crime is pretty low but they have stuff going on anyways, that's inevitable from the human race condition. But is not close as bad in other countries or places around the world. What happens in japan is a thing of culture and pretty much that is now imprinted in their genes. They can f.. you up big time in business tho, but they wont take neither use their hands to LOOK something. Look is done with the eyes, not with the hands like everywhere else. In my country like in virtually everywhere you say... "may i look at your bike??"- yes... and the 1st thing we do is to lift it and touch it everywhere." Japanese will put their hands in the back and look at it (at least was like that 20 years ago.)

I feel his pain. Right by my work there are some beautiful rides in Woodside CA. I go for a two hour spin and before catching the train back to SF sometimes I stop by Safeway to pick up some groceries. Those are the days when I can't bring a beater because of the type of ride. Maybe the guy was just coming back from a ride from Mount Diablo and was dying of thirst. It sucks that riding a road bike means either being on it at all times or leaving it at home. And one can even get attached to a beater :(

I hear in Japan people don't even lock their bikes up because you just don't steal someone else's horse!

cat6
03-31-2012, 12:30 PM
For what it's worth the CL poster doesn't give detail on the circumstances of the theft. Maybe it was in his car, lifted from his LBS or taken from his apartment.

Just a thought, I don't like to jump to conclusions.

monkeybanana86
04-01-2012, 05:36 AM
For what it's worth the CL poster doesn't give detail on the circumstances of the theft. Maybe it was in his car, lifted from his LBS or taken from his apartment.

Just a thought, I don't like to jump to conclusions.

ha. very good point. a while bike someone was really hurt about their de rosa track bike being stolen out of a storage unit! there were flyers around shops in san francisco and online.

Having messenger friends helps a lot during times like these. good luck whoever the owner is.