PDA

View Full Version : My 2 missed Serotta opportunities

Andrewlcox
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
In the past week I have passed on a CSI in my size that I will probably regret for a long time and just this morning my "unicorn" Serotta (an early '80's red 60cm Club Special) disappeared from the Boulder Craigslist without the seller returning my email. I'm sad.

On the bright side, I passed on the CSI (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=106251) to focus on my family. We are about 4 weeks away from having our first child and an expensive bike seemed morally wrong. The "unicorn" may come around again but looking is half the fun.

I can't wait for Sofia Araceli to arrive. She will be better than any bike in the world.

Thanks for listening, I feel better.

Andy

cmg
03-29-2012, 03:38 PM
new opportunities.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/bik/2899980562.html http://greensboro.craigslist.org/bik/2898347792.html
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/2884895276.html

there will always be another Serotta. enjoy parenting with your new daughter.

old_fat_and_slow
03-29-2012, 03:50 PM

jlwdm
03-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Andy,

Exciting times for you and your wife. Enjoy it all.

So what are you riding now?

Jeff

bobhufford
03-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Congrats on the impending parenthood!

A baby girl is a joy forever (even in her teens). My baby girl is almost 24 and enjoys cycling with her Dad.

Who could ask for more? Well ... it would be nice if the other two kids liked to ride with me, but I'll take what I can get.

Best,

Bob

vav
03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Congrats on the new arrival. Now when she turns 1 you have the perfect excuse to buy the Serotta to celebrate it.

pitonpat
03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Congratulations! One day you'll be riding with your baby. I just came in from a ride with my baby boy (31 years old), and will be doing a fund raising 35 miler with my baby girl (35 yrs). Right now my tired legs are chasing my 2 grandboys around the kitchen- so it begins all over again!

CaliFly
03-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I missed out on a beautiful Legend Ti selling for pocket change and piece of lint by 2 minutes. The horror.

Also, still dealing with a CL seller who vanished after receiving payment for a simplistically gorgeous, white Atlanta.

fourflys
03-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Also, still dealing with a CL seller who vanished after receiving payment for a simplistically gorgeous, white Atlanta.

that totally sucks man, so sorry to hear that is still unresolved...

Andrewlcox
03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. I didn't know I wanted a child so bad until we found out. I am so ready to meet her I can't stand it!

I have plenty of bikes already. I use my Trek 7.5 FX for my bike path training, my Serotta custom comes out for the open road, my Trek Lime is for a slow ride with my wife and my future Kirk Terraplane is for all of that and more I hope.

Thanks for the links to the other bikes. I have seen them already and like the burnished Legend the best. I actually have a vintage Schwinn girls bike already lined up for Sofia's first bike. I saw some very small Serotta bikes and thought about one for her but thought "first things first". Who knows, she might be as tall as me I might have to give her my bike to ride.

I am about to sell my smart car and get a more family freindly car (Prius v wagon) so bikes aren't really a priority, just an infatuation and hobby.

Thanks,
Andy

oliver1850
03-29-2012, 11:01 PM
A few years ago I stopped in to look at one of the largest Oliver collections anywhere. The owner gave me a 2 hour tour, telling me some of the stories about where and how he came by them. He has been collecting for 45 years, and some of them are 100 years old. He commented that no matter how rare you consider something to be, you will always get a chance at another one. In other words, no such thing as a unicorn. He was talking about objects made of iron. Your true unicorn is due in 4 weeks. You won't ever have another first child, there will be plenty of Serottas for a long time to come.

Andrewlcox
03-29-2012, 11:20 PM
A few years ago I stopped in to look at one of the largest Oliver collections anywhere. The owner gave me a 2 hour tour, telling me some of the stories about where and how he came by them. He has been collecting for 45 years, and some of them are 100 years old. He commented that no matter how rare you consider something to be, you will always get a chance at another one. In other words, no such thing as a unicorn. He was talking about objects made of iron. Your true unicorn is due in 4 weeks. You won't ever have another first child, there will be plenty of Serottas for a long time to come.

Thanks Mark. So true!

veloduffer
03-30-2012, 07:12 AM
I missed out on a beautiful Legend Ti selling for pocket change and piece of lint by 2 minutes. The horror.

That's a tough one to swallow. I only buy from CL if the purchase/sale (cash, no money order) can be done face to face. Just too much scamming on CL.

veloduffer
03-30-2012, 07:14 AM
In the past week I have passed on a CSI in my size that I will probably regret for a long time and just this morning my "unicorn" Serotta (an early '80's red 60cm Club Special) disappeared from the Boulder Craigslist without the seller returning my email. I'm sad.

On the bright side, I passed on the CSI (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=106251) to focus on my family. We are about 4 weeks away from having our first child and an expensive bike seemed morally wrong. The "unicorn" may come around again but looking is half the fun.

I can't wait for Sofia Araceli to arrive. She will be better than any bike in the world.

Thanks for listening, I feel better.

Andy

There will always be the "next" bike. Congrats on the new baby. They really do grow up so fast. It seems like last year when my son was going off to kindergarten and I just realized he graduates high school in 2017. It feels kind of sad that we may be empty-nesters in 5 yrs.

djg
03-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Mazel tov -- welcome to wonderland.

No worries about the bike. No such thing as a unicorn. And even really cool, distinctive bikes, are not exactly rare -- you'll find another one, whenever.