PDA

View Full Version : Attention Tour de France watchers!! (this thread is actually about the classics)

MattTuck
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
I used to be like you! I used to watch every stage of 'le tour', and wax philosophic about team strategies over the alps and break aways, and what will happen in tomorrow's stage.

If you haven't spent much time learning about "the classics" of cycling, these are the one day races. We had an Italian race, Milan San Remo, a few weeks ago. It is nice and all, and I wouldn't say it is a race for sissies, but they do finish on the Mediterranean coast in a town called San Remo, it certainly sounds luxurious.

By contrast, the northern classics, and this week in particular are not races for those racers that care about style. On Sunday, they fight to the death. There is no tomorrow, there is no GC, there is only victory or defeat.

The organizers don't care about where to start and end a stage, so that they can go around the whole region of Flanders (in Belgium) in the course of a month, they hire a 5 year old to just scribble on a map and that is the route!

http://gerrypatt.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/flanders-2012-route2.png

The next two weekends are perhaps the high point of the year for pro cycling, atleast for the hard men. If you don't know what a hard man is, you must watch these races.... Ronde van Vlaanderen (RvV) aka, Tour of Flanders and Paris Roubaix....

The Ronde is on Sunday, April 1. Paris Roubaix is a week later.

If you've been watching the Tour de France, that is all well and good, it is sort of like watching the super bowl.

But do yourself a favor and watch the Tour of Flanders and Paris Roubaix this year. The best part is, it's only one day! so you don't have to dedicate an entire month of the summer to following a bike race!

Fixed
03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
nice post
i agree
cheers

phcollard
03-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Belgium is a country for hard men :D

Thanks for your post, nice.

bobswire
03-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Totally agree but still look forward and enjoy the whole spectacle of the TdF.

MattTuck
03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Totally agree but still look forward and enjoy the whole spectacle of the TdF.

Agreed. The more cycling the better. I'm not advocating or putting down the TdF, as it is special also, but for those that see the TdF and think that is all of pro cycling, I am trying to expand their world.

I think the TdF is akin to a gateway drug, with the smooth tarmac, and mid summer flowers, and climbs that are so long they can take commercials in the middle of them.... it gets people interested in pro cycling.

Then they can get hooked on the hard stuff.

Liv2RideHard
03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Well done mate. As most of us know by now NBC Sports will be carrying it live Sunday morning beginning at 0830 Eastern (correct me if I am wrong). I think we will be making Belgium waffles or something...and drinking Stella.

Can't wait!

bobswire
03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Agreed. The more cycling the better. I'm not advocating or putting down the TdF, as it is special also, but for those that see the TdF and think that is all of pro cycling, I am trying to expand their world.

I think the TdF is akin to a gateway drug, with the smooth tarmac, and mid summer flowers, and climbs that are so long they can take commercials in the middle of them.... it gets people interested in pro cycling.

Then they can get hooked on the hard stuff.

I understood what you meant. Want to see the best all around racers in the world watch the classic. Want to see climbing goats,sprinters and TT's with team tactics watch the circus known as the TdF.

katematt
03-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks Mattuck,

Nothing better this time of year then going out for three hours on Sunday and coming home for the final 30k or so of PR.

Enjoyed MSR and felt for Fabian. He is a marked man, but perhaps he'll have more kms to ride them off his wheel in the coming weeks.

Cheers.

jds108
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Matt - POTD! (post of the day!)

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
POTD, beat me to it.

In my house, the entire day, including dinner, revolves around Paris Roubaix. I've even worked my vacation around it. Best. Race. Period. The TDF has become background noise, until the final 10K of any given stage, IMO. Except for the climbing stages. Still and always will love the Tour, though. The Giro is more entertaining, IMO. Vuelta, too.

Elefantino
03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Cool preview from J. Startt here. (http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/classics-rivalry-no-other#.T3RNCrlAz30.twitter)

Ronde. P-R. Amstel. Fleche. L-B-L.

:hello:

Liv2RideHard
03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
POTD, beat me to it.

The Giro is more entertaining, IMO.

Agreed. The Giro is my favourite Grand Tour. Something about Italy...actually lots of things about Italia. Too many to mention. Having been a spectator at the Giro is something I will never ever forget. Entire towns drape themselves in pink. From the bambinos to the Nonnas and Nonnos. Everyone is in pink. Ciao!

thwart
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Cool preview from J. Startt here. (http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/classics-rivalry-no-other#.T3RNCrlAz30.twitter)

Ronde. P-R. Amstel. Fleche. L-B-L.

Agree. Thanks for the link!

veloduffer
03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
This is my favorite time of the cycling calendar. It's a race of attrition for the hard men (and the bikes too) - the colder and wetter, the better. Team tactics play much less of a role (unless you're poor Georgie Hincapie surrounded by Mapei hard men) and it's really about knowing which break to go with.

If I get a chance to see a European bike race in person, I'd much rather attend a cobblestone classic like Paris Roubaix than a Grand Tour! Watching a race in Belgium sounds spectacular with all the great accoutrements -- waffles, beer and chocolate! :beer:

Liv2RideHard
03-29-2012, 01:09 PM
If I get a chance to see a European bike race in person, I'd much rather attend a cobblestone classic like Paris Roubaix than a Grand Tour! Watching a race in Belgium sounds spectacular with all the great accoutrements -- waffles, beer and chocolate! :beer:

On my bucket list man. Ride the cobbles then watch the hard men do it.

And don't forget the frites!

thwart
03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Watching a race in Belgium sounds spectacular with all the great accoutrements -- waffles, beer and chocolate! ...don't forget the frites and mayo!

jpw
03-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Why did you leave? ;-)

jpw
03-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I read that this year's race could become known as the "Ronde Van Nails".

There have been anonymous threats from several sources inside Belgium to throw nails and tacks on the roads in protest at the dismembering of the parcours. Tradition is tradition and some people are very upset at the changes.

MattTuck
03-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I read that this year's race could become known as the "Ronde Van Nails".

There have been anonymous threats from several sources inside Belgium to throw nails and tacks on the roads in protest at the dismembering of the parcours. Tradition is tradition and some people are very upset at the changes.

that's ridiculous! This is like New Coke, when they bring back "Ronde Classic", we'll all be more appreciative of it ;) that was the plan all along, ya know...

Jaq
03-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Guns, chocolate, and diamonds.

It is a place for hard men, and for hard men to take pretty girls.

jr59
03-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Seeing no one else did, one of my fav movies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4IDCkcnnHg

Hank Scorpio
03-29-2012, 05:07 PM
I love that we have televised race coverage but why the hell do they put it on when a good portion of their audience is out actually riding their own bikes? I haven't seen any listings for replays of the classics. Boo!

MattTuck
03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I love that we have televised race coverage but why the hell do they put it on when a good portion of their audience is out actually riding their own bikes? I haven't seen any listings for replays of the classics. Boo!

Well given that the race is in Belgium, I think that the timing makes sense. Finish up in the late afternoon/early evening. They need to do it to ensure day light.

Hank Scorpio
03-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Can't they just race with handlebar lights? Or just truck in some generators ala NASCAR

azrider
03-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Everything "cycling" is better in Belgium....

Hawker
03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Well done mate. As most of us know by now NBC Sports will be carrying it live Sunday morning beginning at 0830 Eastern (correct me if I am wrong). I think we will be making Belgium waffles or something...and drinking Stella.

Can't wait!

Oooh, Belgium waffles sound great!

phcollard
03-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Why did you leave? ;-)

I'm thinking of moving back. I miss my frites mayo too much :)

phcollard
03-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Check my new favorite site. Oh and they broadcast live too and it's not geoblocked! :banana:

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_sportnieuws/MG_wielrennen/1.1258097

Hank Scorpio
03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Check my new favorite site. Oh and they broadcast live too and it's not geoblocked!

Thanks!

don compton
03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
I am not a racer. I started riding in 1984 after watching Grewal win the road race. I started watching the Tour ( the old ABC days with Pierre Salinger enjoying French cuisine). Once in a while we could see Paris-Roubaix. I was hooked. I will always enjoy the Tour, but I also really enjoy the one-day classics. Its all out, balls to wall, racing. The men that win these races are "Hard Men". Its one thing to win a sprint in a flat stage of the Tour, its another to win a sprint in a small group of superstars who are all totally wasted.:beer:

jghall
03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Believe someone asked.

The NBC Sports Network has announced it will air live the one-day classic races Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix.

Tour of Flanders: April 1 at 8:30 a.m.

Paris-Roubaix: April 8 at 9 a.m.; 3-hour race analysis at 7 p.m.

jpw
03-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Check my new favorite site. Oh and they broadcast live too and it's not geoblocked! :banana:

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_sportnieuws/MG_wielrennen/1.1258097

It's my favorite foreign language cycling coverage. It's just not the same in French or Italian.

retrofit
03-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Believe someone asked.

The NBC Sports Network has announced it will air live the one-day classic races Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix.

Tour of Flanders: April 1 at 8:30 a.m.

Paris-Roubaix: April 8 at 9 a.m.; 3-hour race analysis at 7 p.m.

Just a minor clarification -- all times are Eastern

And it will be a great race! :banana: