PDA

View Full Version : London

jgspin
03-28-2012, 10:59 PM
I am going to London in a few days and might have a chance to rent a bike and do some explorations. Any recommendations on bike rental shops? What is the cost for a road bike for a day or two, don't need high end, just something to get me maybe 20-40 miles?

Ps. How do you edit the title?

verticaldoug
03-29-2012, 10:00 AM
If you just want to pedal around, use the barclays cycle hire. You can buy casual access.
https://web.barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk/casual

uno-speedo
03-29-2012, 01:36 PM
You might be able to demo a bike from the Specialized store in Kingston Upon Thames, about a 20 minute train ride out of central London. You can then visit www.sigmasport.co.uk about a 5 minute ride from the Specialized store, to drool over bikes and what not and then take a ride out to the Surrey Hills to get your mileage in - you could do the Olympic road route.

If this sounds of interest, PM and I'll try to get it setup for you.

MattTuck
03-29-2012, 02:07 PM
you could do the Olympic road route.

Do that, and report back to us. That would be like playing a round of golf at Augusta National, one of the few other sports where an amateur can play on the same surface as the professionals.

jgspin
03-29-2012, 08:04 PM
That's 156 miles. I don't know if I will be able to do that. I was thinking more along a shorter maybe 20-30 mile scenic exploration.

uno-speedo
03-30-2012, 12:40 AM
...or do a portion of it. You can easily do a nice scenic 20-30 miles and take in some English country roads from Kingston and still hit up some of the Olympic route.