PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Finger (flexor tendon)

Tony T
03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
I developed Trigger Finger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_finger) from riding late last year.

Any suggestions on alleviating the condition (gloves, hand positions, etc)

Thanks,
Tont

Dave
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
You need medical attention to resolve that problem. Most likely surgery. I've had a trigger finger for over 15 years and just put up with it. It's never a problem when riding because mine requires a tight closer of the finger before it locks into place.

Mike748
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I had surgery for a cyst on my right middle flexor tendon. Recovery took longer than I expected and it still hurts some 4 months later. Not sure I would do it again.

bargainguy
03-28-2012, 07:55 PM
FWIW, I used to work in the medical field and saw a kajillion trigger finger release surgeries. It's one of the most uncomplicated surgeries you can get. Sometimes the tendon sheath constriction is so slight, the release can be done with the tip of a needle instead of a scalpel.

I know a lot of people choose to live with it, but not having full extension of a finger can get pretty old. Steroid injection is an inbetween step which works to lessen the swelling at the site of constriction, but is not always effective.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and heal soon.

Don

Tony T
03-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks guys. Don't think I'll get the surgery now as mine is like Daves (requires a tight close before it locking into place). Also, I have no pain, and this year, I've been riding with a looser grip with the 'trigger finger' (and I'm now using gloves), and this has helped a bit as I no longer have any inflammation.

But, at some point in the future, looks like I'll need to re-consider surgery.

Tony

victoryfactory
03-29-2012, 08:01 AM
I joined the trigger finger club about 6 months ago. (Dad had it too)
Pinky is now getting painful, hard to grip a pencil.
Doesnt bother me on the bike as the main stress of riding seems to be on
the other (thumb) side of the hand.

After a lot of online reading and talking to friends with experience, it seems
like most of the non surgical stuff like gloves and stretches seems not very effective.
Most docs seem to give a shot first to see if that clears it up and then the
surgery if it doesn't.

good luck

VF

Hawker
03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Had the surgery on my second finger about ten years ago. Very simple and easy and after a couple of weeks of PT I forgot there was ever a problem...except for the scar. Now this week I have developed it again on the third finger. There is a little pain but more of an inconvenience than anything else. I'll wait it out as long as I can as I have a very high deductible.

I always wear well padded gloves but it would be nice to know if cycling is part of the cause?

Tony T
03-29-2012, 10:18 AM
I always wear well padded gloves but it would be nice to know if cycling is part of the cause?

For me, I'm certain that cycling was the cause

sc53
03-29-2012, 12:39 PM
I've had two trigger fingers so far and my doc swears cycling, hammering, manual labor etc. does not "cause" trigger fingers. It's just something that people in their 50's (and above) get. I had to have surgery for the first one (4yrs ago) which was really painless and minor and 100% effective. The doc gave me 3 steroid shots first, over a 2 yr period, but the locking kept coming back till I had the surgery. For the current one, I have had two steroid shots and so far the second shot has solved the locking for the last 6-8 months or so. But if it starts locking up again I'll have it surgically released as well because the locking HURTS and is a big annoyance.