PDA

View Full Version : '97 Record 8spd Rear Hub disagreement

board2run
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi, was wondering if someone here could settle a disagreement? I have in my hand a '97 Campy 8 speed rear hub claimed to be record with original box and bike store receipt. Hub is brand new and has never been laced. Box and receipt are clearly marked Record but there is no grease port in the hub body. I am of the opinion that this is not Chorus or Record but perhaps Veloce. Seller claims that Campy did not put grease ports in '97 8 speed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!
:bike:

board2run
03-28-2012, 09:45 AM
The seller is not affiliated with tis site so no feelings will be hurt!

Jaq
03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
He's right. Record 8-speed had no port. Record 9-speed had a port.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/spares97-B.pdf

If you go to the Campy site and click on technical documentation, you'll pull up a list of .pdf documents, all of them exploded drawings of model years going back to 1994. They get better with later years, but they're still quite helpful.

board2run
03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
That means that there is no difference in the four 8 speed hubs. From what I see all four use the same bearings as the 9 speed Record.

Jaq
03-28-2012, 10:24 AM
That means that there is no difference in the four 8 speed hubs. From what I see all four use the same bearings as the 9 speed Record.

tee-hee, tee-hee, tee-hee...

Welcome to Campy. ;)

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, obviously; it makes finding spare parts (cups & cones, etc.) a lot easier.

The interiors of a lot of hubs are the same, especially the Record/Chorus line. In the 2000-2006 line, I believe the only difference between Record/Chorus/Athena is the oil port. Then again, Campy claims successively higher weights for each model (by a few grams), so there might be something else going on as well.

Or it's just to get you to buy Record. Or Super Record these days.

Another difference (back then) is that Chorus QR skewers don't have the wire "u" on the QR nut (thus saving a little weight), but their levers aren't drilled out (gaining it right back). I believe as well that the end cap (forgot the tech. name at the moment) on the Record models was polished and on the Chorus hubs was brushed.

Vive la difference.

Mike748
03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't know that you can read that into the parts diagram. '96 Record/Chorus 8spd had oil ports. I can't imagine that they were deleted in '97.

Jaq
03-28-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't know that you can read that into the parts diagram. '96 Record/Chorus 8spd had oil ports. I can't imagine that they were deleted in '97.

Campy intro'd 9-speed in '97. I think what they did was take all their left-over Record hub shells (with oil ports), add the internals and the 9-speed cassette carriers, and called them Record/Chorus 9-speed.

Then they took a bunch of Athena shells (no oil ports), filled 'em with internals beginning with parts numbers "FH-RE" and called them Record/Chorus 8-speed.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi, was wondering if someone here could settle a disagreement? I have in my hand a '97 Campy 8 speed rear hub claimed to be record with original box and bike store receipt. Hub is brand new and has never been laced. Box and receipt are clearly marked Record but there is no grease port in the hub body. I am of the opinion that this is not Chorus or Record but perhaps Veloce. Seller claims that Campy did not put grease ports in '97 8 speed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!
:bike:

First year of 9s...Record had the grease port and cover, 1997 Record 8s was essentially 1996 Athena, called Record/Chorus/Athena/Veloce and no grease port.

1997 parts catalog.