PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 speed chain opened while riding

elcolombiano
03-27-2012, 06:10 PM
My campy 10 speed chain broke open while riding. Both side plates opened because the chain pin became detached from both side plates. The center pin was still in the roller piece hole so I did not lose it.

Why did this happen and what can I to to prevent it's reoccurrence?

Tony T
03-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Is the cassette in good shape? How may miles is on the chain? Was the chain clean and properly lubed?

elcolombiano
03-27-2012, 06:33 PM
At most 1400 miles on the cassette and and chain. Never ridden in the rain, stored indoors, kept clean and lubricated.

maunahaole
03-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Stay off the juice.

old_fat_and_slow
03-27-2012, 08:03 PM

AngryScientist
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Was the break where you joined the two ends of the chain?

If so, did you use the official Campy pins and chain tool.

If it broke at where you joined the two ends, and you didn't use the official pin and tool, then thats probably your problem.

I don't think Park tools, Pedros or any of the other tools form the end of the joining pin as well as the Campy tool.

(Now I know many of you guys that own non-Campy chain tools haven't had chain breakage problems, and to that I say great, but again, these tools don't do the job as well as the Campy one, so don't flood me with flames and hate messages.)

Personally, I use IRD and Wipperman connector links, and therefore don't need a chain tool, and have never had a problem. However, I don't have Eric Heiden-like legs, so maybe that's why I'm not busting chains.

i endorse this answer.

Nick209
03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Kmc makes an 11 speed compatable quick link as well. Never have had a problem using one and theyre reusable.

Dan Le foot
03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Kmc makes an 11 speed compatable quick link as well. Never have had a problem using one and theyre reusable.

I'm using the 11 speed KMC links for my Campy bikes now. No problems yet.
I like keeping an extra in my saddle bag.
According to KMC the 10 speed link is reusable. Not the 11 speed link.
Not sure why.
Dan

RIHans
03-27-2012, 09:44 PM
mr elcomobiano...

Campag chains are touchy. Have a qualiified mechanic do the work...special tool...one off.

Even than chains break. 10 - 11 speeds make it a close fit.

likely not your fault.

zmudshark
03-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Just a guess, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet the OP did not follow directions, and tried to rejoin an outer plate.

I use KMC quick links on my 10s. and ride ~5k a year, no problems so far, after 5+ years.

TMB
03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I ride only Campag 10 speed set-ups. I also ride ONLY Wipperman chains with Wipperman master links.

firerescuefin
03-27-2012, 10:16 PM
And the only chain I have had catastrophically fail...leading to a broken wrist was a newish wipperman....chains break sometimes.

apeescape
03-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Campy is pretty anal about how their chains should be installed. Especially the 11s. Also I dont really recommend the quick links. Just have a LBS with the campy tool install it correctly. I've lost a chain in a full sprint and it was not a pretty sight. Better safe than sorry.

Tony T
03-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Just have a LBS with the campy tool install it correctly.

Or buy the Campy tool. With the 11 chains going for ~$75, I can somehow get past the $180 for the 11 chain tool. (You'll also make new friends :) )

oldpotatoe
03-28-2012, 07:32 AM
My campy 10 speed chain broke open while riding. Both side plates opened because the chain pin became detached from both side plates. The center pin was still in the roller piece hole so I did not lose it.

Why did this happen and what can I to to prevent it's reoccurrence?

How was it assembled? New chain or older, put back together with a new pin in older plate'?

Mikej
03-28-2012, 08:33 AM
How "tight" are you guys peening the 11s links? I see most videos using a half turn, is this correct?

Tony T
03-28-2012, 08:49 AM
How "tight" are you guys peening the 11s links? I see most videos using a half turn, is this correct?

Which Video? Did you see Campy's video?
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/servicevideo/videocatid_4_videoid_7.jsp
Also, manual say's "about" 3/4 of a turn:
"Screw in the tool to bring the pusher into contact with the protruding end of the Ultra-link CN-RE500 bush, turning it by about 3⁄4 of a turn and exerting moderate force till distorted (Fig. 21)."
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/11sCHAINS_09_11.pdf

zap
03-28-2012, 09:08 AM
If so, did you use the official Campy pins and chain tool.

If it broke at where you joined the two ends, and you didn't use the official pin and tool, then thats probably your problem.

I don't think Park tools, Pedros or any of the other tools form the end of the joining pin as well as the Campy tool.

(Now I know many of you guys that own non-Campy chain tools haven't had chain breakage problems, and to that I say great, but again, these tools don't do the job as well as the Campy one, so don't flood me with flames and hate messages.)

No hate.

We use Campy chains on my single (yes, I only have one road single) and on our tandems. All put together using a Park chain tool and follow all other Campy assembly instructions.

With care in using the Park chain tool the job gets done quite well. If Campy 10s chains are holding up on our tandems, trust me, it will hold up on singles.

Mikej
03-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Which Video? Did you see Campy's video?
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/servicevideo/videocatid_4_videoid_7.jsp

Yes. That is th one. Looks like just about 1/2 turn on the one side. Thats it?

Tony T
03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Yes. That is th one. Looks like just about 1/2 turn on the one side. Thats it?

Campy Manual says "about" 3/4 of a turn, so I guess anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 should be ok for the 11 chain.

elcolombiano
03-29-2012, 01:16 AM
I don't want to take it to a "qualified mechanic". I want to do it myself. I read the Campy instructions. They want you to not re-use the pin and they insist on using there tool. I can understand not re-using the pin but why do you have to use their tool. Their is nothing special about it other than it helps hold the chain in place without moving while you get the pin in straight. I can get the pin in straight with my own chain tool. Do I really need to use their tool? I would appreciate a technical response.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2012, 07:20 AM
I don't want to take it to a "qualified mechanic". I want to do it myself. I read the Campy instructions. They want you to not re-use the pin and they insist on using there tool. I can understand not re-using the pin but why do you have to use their tool. Their is nothing special about it other than it helps hold the chain in place without moving while you get the pin in straight. I can get the pin in straight with my own chain tool. Do I really need to use their tool? I would appreciate a technical response.

No, don't need their tool. The idea is to get the pin in straight(wee lube on pin before shoving in) but you can push a new pin into the outside portion of a new chain only. If you take the chain off for cleaning, by pushing a pin out, you cannot just install a new pin into those plates. Pin/out have deformed the outbouard portion of the plate, potentially causing the chain to fail. Either need a new section of chain, with 2 pins and two new outboard sections of chain(complicated, I know) or use a Wipperman or KMC snap link...

Dave
03-29-2012, 06:05 PM

You can certainly use another brand of tool to install a 10 speed pin. The only trick is to eliminate any tension on the chain while the pin is installed. You can with drape the chain over the BB shell or take the rear wheel off. If there's any tension on the chain, the pin will go in crooked and bend or break before exiting the hole on the far side.

The Park Tool website covers the process.

Tony T
03-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Depends. When your 10s chain pin became detached from both side plates while riding, if it was the pin that you installed, I would suggest that consider a better chain tool (which tool did you use?), as its possible that the pin became detached because the pin was deformed or not in straight due to the tool used.

As suggested, Park has very good on-line help: Chain Installation - Derailleur Bikes (http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-installation-derailleur-bikes) (there is a section on CampagnoloŽ 10-speed Chains)

Tony

P.S. for the 11s chain (http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/11-speed-chain-service-with-the-ct-11), the Campy (or Park) Tool is needed.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Depends. When your 10s chain pin became detached from both side plates while riding, if it was the pin that you installed, I would suggest that consider a better chain tool (which tool did you use?), as its possible that the pin became detached because the pin was not in straight.

Tony

P.S. for the 11s chain, the Campy Tool is needed.

Or the Park two tool system or the Pedros tool...have all of them and the Park and Pedros tools work fine for 11s.

Tony T
03-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Or the Park two tool system or the Pedros tool...have all of them and the Park and Pedros tools work fine for 11s.

Yes. (I edited my post for Park, but forgot about Pedros (http://www.pedros.com/tutto.htm))

elcolombiano
03-31-2012, 02:07 AM
I bought a KMC snap link at my local bike shop for $5

oldpotatoe
03-31-2012, 07:56 AM
I bought a KMC snap link at my local bike shop for $5

TaaaDaaa!!

Seott-e
04-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Quick links seem to work fiine in my road bike (KMC) with Campy 10 and my mtn bikes as well.