PDA

View Full Version : OT: Stereo Receivers...

Kevan
08-27-2005, 03:27 PM
The ol' college receiver ain't up to the job and it's time to do a modest upgrade. Actually, if it weren't for the iPods I'd probably run the poor Kenwood into the ground, but MP3's are the new vinyl, so life moves on.

Anyway, I have this little box doing a myriad of things so here's the detail and I'm hoping one or more of you might be able to help. Running off the receiver, I have A & B speakers (kitchen/livingroom), am/fm integrated tuner, a turntable (very seldom used, just can't bring myself to toss some vinyl classics), a 5 cd changer and then by using the auxilary and pressing the tape mode button features I also have my tv & dvd running through it which has been perfectly acceptable. What I would like to add but have no more connections for is my iPod. I've tried the iTrip connecting, but the quality is very lacking. So I need a receiver that can also take a direct connect for the iPod.

I don't want surround sound and I have no plans to add to my kef speakers. Perhaps better than offering me make and model suggestions would be the features I should look for. Thanks.

Ken Robb
08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
My golden ears have turned to tin but I have always thought Harmon-Kardon receivers were better-sounding than most.

Jeff N.
08-27-2005, 06:31 PM
I own a vintage Sansui G-901DB receiver, the European version of the Sansui G-9000DB. These gems are beautiful sounding, preposterously powerful, built to last virtually forever, and any HiFi tech worth his stones can work on them....unlike the throw-away stuff they make these days. They're available periodically from E-Bay, but can go for as much as a grand for one in mint condition. If you can find one, get it. Trust me on this.
As for your Ipod, the aforementioned receiver has two tape monitors and an Aux. Radio Shack could probably give you the proper "jacks" for hookup. I don't own one, so I'm not sure.

cookieguy
08-27-2005, 07:56 PM
I've used a McIntosh 4280 (2 channel receiver) for the past 13years. It has been drop dead reliable and sounds good to me. For McInitosh, inexpensive and allways repairable to original condition.

sc53
08-27-2005, 08:23 PM
All you need is an extra set of inputs on the receiver and a mini-to-RCA cable to plug the headphone jack of your iPod into the inputs of your receiver. You can shop for a vintage receiver on eBay or Audiogon, or look at NAD, Arcam, or Rotel for current models. Most current receivers are multichannel so you'll have to look around to find current models with only two channels. I think all of the brands I listed make a two channel model or did in the recent past. You know it really dilutes the power output to run the A and B speakers all at the same time, right? It can also blow the receiver if it's not up to the task.

Fixed
08-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Bro lot of vintage stuff anyone still listen to L.p. That all I have All late 50 -mid 60's jazz .Cheers

Peter
08-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Since it sounds like you're not using your receiver's internal AM/FM Tuner, you might want to consider buying an integrated amplifier instead. An integrated amp provides the power, as well as component switching, speaker selection, tone controls, and such, versus separate power amp and preamp. Admittedly, they might be a bit harder to find in today's A/V world, but you won't be wasting your money since you already have an external tuner, and most tuners inside receivers are mediocre performers anyways.

You'll want an Apple iPod Dock with its line out connection. It will charge your iPod as well as provide an output port for a cable to connect to any unused or AUX input on your new amp; that includes amps with two Tape inputs. But since cassettes are dying out, you might have to purchase an A/V receiver and just connect the iPod's line out jack to any VCR audio input on the receiver. Just purchase a model receiver with sufficient inputs to meet all the components you want to tie into it. If the iPod Dock kit doesn't provide the proper cable, Radio Shack sure will as it's very common.

Yeah, but finding an integrated amp WITH a phono input in today's world can be tough. If you find it hard going, just purchase an external phono amplifier. Here's the deal: the signal from your turntable is too low to be useful, and due to the properties of LPs, the frequency response is not flat. A phono amp boosts the signal level to something your amp finds ample to amplify, as well as provide the proper frequency response to compensate for LP's deficiencies. Any good stereo shop should be able to get them. I've seen them for sale in the J&R Music catalog as well.

You might want to call some local electronic repair shops or stereo shops as many sell equipment that has been traded in or that which is on consignment.

I currently have a mid-80's Yamaha integrated amp with TWO tape inputs and an AUX input and a phono input. No, it's not for sale...

If you're a smart, Consumer Reports type consumer, you should pick up a copy of Sound and Vision Magazine's Buyer's guide-

http://shop.soundandvisionmag.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5

You'll easily be able to find an integrated amp or receiver that meets your feature requirements from the comfort of your own home, then call or surf to find a dealer that has the product in stock.

The Spider
08-28-2005, 02:52 AM
NAD intergrated amps can have a phone stage added on, it's called the PP-2. Highly recommended. So are the 320 BEE and 352 and 372 amps, good value for money as well.

Also as far as a nice mini-jack to dual RCA plug is concerned, Monster Cable make one for the iPod that i've been using and the sound is brilliant (I've tried blind testing to try and hear the difference between CD and iPod...it's tough!).

Kevin
08-28-2005, 09:33 AM
I like my Nakamichi.

Kevin

Kevan
08-30-2005, 06:52 AM
Your help here was appreciated. It looks like the Denon, model DRA395, might be the perfect answer for us, in that it can handle all the different components, as well as, do two separate functions at the same time. This way my wife can listen to her iPod off the speakers in the kitchen (not to suggest thats where I keep her, mind you), while I'm watching "Lord of the Rings" blaring on the tv in the livingroom.

Neat stuff.

pjm
08-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Consider this one, too.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MARASR4320&product_name=SR4320%20Stereo%20Receiver,%20Black

chrisroph
08-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Go to audiogon for a great selection of used equipment.

crossjunkee
08-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Arcam (AVR-200 or 300) is the way to go. My audiophile friend helpled me pick it out. Pair it with Acoustic Energy speakers. I've been quite please.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/diva_prod_range.cfm

sevencyclist
08-30-2005, 09:48 AM
I am still holding onto my old 2 channels without surround sounds. I personally favor the sound of tubes, so I have separate components from Audio Research. For all in one boxes, I favor Rotel. It is very well made and sounds great. Not the cheapest, but does not sound cheap either.

If you do not need radio and uses only CD and MP3, you can perhaps upgrade to Creek. They are the most amazing integrated amp I have ever heard. It would work well with your speakers.

jdoiv
08-30-2005, 04:21 PM
I like B&K equipment. Might be more than you are willing to spend but you could probably find a good deal off ebay. I did a couple of years ago. I have a CS 117 line pre-amp, an ST202 power amp, and a newer Ref. 40 preamp as well as a 6 channel amp for surrond sound. The last two were from ebay. Plus they are made in the good ole USA.
Quality stuff.

John

Kevan
10-04-2005, 04:20 PM
It took some time (damn work gets in the way), but I've narrowed my selection to:

Marantz SR4320

Harman Kardon HK 3380

Denon DRA-395

Those of you in the know... which one?

Jeff N.
10-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Find a Marantz 2600. Or 2500.Theres a couple on E-Bay as I write this. Jeff N.

flickwet
10-04-2005, 06:46 PM
your getting great advise from very knowledgeable audiophiles. It appears that an appreciation of cars and stereos goes hand in hand with bikes. Makes for an interesting group. There are gobs of web sites that are audio specific some are more fun than others. For quality vs. cost I have had the best luck with Bryston and Adcom. Adcom is somewhat less expensive and features some of the best value engineering out there. Bryston is also a manufacturer of Pro audio eq. with fully discrete circutry and the finest phono stages available for less than a grand, plus they feature a TWENTY year transferable warranty. I have owned 4 NAD preamps and one NAD tape deck all have given me niggling difficulty ranging from noise to squeaks to intermittant fade outs, yet I still occasionally buy them cause when they are good they are great.
Don't give up on the vinylthe rewards to enjoying a spin is not unlike that of an early steel colorado with downtube friction shifters and a steel fork, the quality is in the experience.

Peter
10-04-2005, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't go for the Denon. Whenever I've looked at stereo components and perused the pages of Consumer Reports I've noticed Denon has a higher than average repair history. If this is of interest to you then I suggest you ride down to the library and find any CR article concerning audio equipment. Ratings they give can reasonably be extended to a manufacturer's entire line of components, and that includes reliability.

Both the marantz and the HK are very good choices. Sound and Vision Magazine recently reviewed HK's latest incarnation of their "legendary" 330c:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=577&page_number=1&preview=

If this A/V model is any indication, the stereo model you're interested in should be a great buy. It also seems to retail about $100 less than the marantz. I'm big on good FM sections, particularly the ability to pull in weak stations; be sure and compare specs of both brands before you buy.

Lastly, be sure you buy from an Authorized Dealer so that the manufacturer's warranty will be good. Don't settle for a "house" warranty. By the way, the marantz has a THREE year warranty.

PanTerra
10-05-2005, 09:12 AM
I have been an ADCOM fan since I got my GFA 555 Amp and GTP 500 preamp/tuner. Just realized it is over 20 years old. I haven't even thought of getting new. Haven't heard much better, and I used to sell McIntosh, NAD, Nakamichi, Yamaha... The McIntosh was the nicest we carried, but pricey. Maybe someday.

Take a look at this site. A great source for used equipment, especially Mcintosh.

http://www.audioclassics.com/index.php3

Serotta PETE
10-05-2005, 11:23 AM
It took some time (damn work gets in the way), but I've narrowed my selection to:

Marantz SR4320

Harman Kardon HK 3380

Denon DRA-395

Those of you in the know... which one?

I would suggest the Marantz...... Pete