PDA

View Full Version : Where to watch classics in NYC?

Ray
03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm going to be spending April in New York City and was wondering if any of you locals know of a sports bar or similar with a cycling bent that might show the Spring Classics, particularly Flanders and Roubaix. I'm recording them on my DVR but would rather not wait until I get home in May to watch them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

-Ray

AngryScientist
03-27-2012, 11:22 AM
hey Ray - check out this thread i started. this place might be good.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=106745

i've wondered the same thing in the past. if you find a place showing them, i'd be happy to come out and have a beer or six and watch with you.

cheers.

Ray
03-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Oh, I'd missed that. Sounds like a Rapha marketing party to me...

I wonder if they have a big screen and would be showing the races on the two Sundays??? I probably can't make it on the 4th - my wife and daughter are coming into town for a long weekend (spring break for both) and the 4th is my daugher's birthday, so I'm probably needed elsewhere that night.

Might be worth a call to see if they'll be showing the races during Sunday's telecasts...

edit - just called, they said they'll be showing them when they're on. Good news. I'll likely be there this coming Sunday for Flanders and almost definitely for Roubaix the following week.

-Ray

ClutchCargo
03-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh, I'd missed that. Sounds like a Rapha marketing party to me...

I wonder if they have a big screen and would be showing the races on the two Sundays??? I probably can't make it on the 4th - my wife and daughter are coming into town for a long weekend (spring break for both) and the 4th is my daugher's birthday, so I'm probably needed elsewhere that night.

Might be worth a call to see if they'll be showing the races during Sunday's telecasts...

edit - just called, they said they'll be showing them when they're on. Good news. I'll likely be there this coming Sunday for Flanders and almost definitely for Roubaix the following week.

-Ray

The Cannibal would probably be showing those races -- I would call them up and ask. It is a neat little place, more of a smallish Rathskellar feel to it; definitely not a sports bar. But they do have a flat screen that I would guess is 46" or so that would be adequate to your needs (like I said, it's a pretty small place). They have a really nice selection of draught beers and a huge selection of canned/bottled beers, and food, too. There was a NY Times review of the place recently. It would be fun. Not cheap, but not pricy by NYC measure, either.

happycampyer
03-27-2012, 07:15 PM
I know in the past that the restaurant BXL (http://bxlcafe.pregraphic.com/) showed Paris-Roubaix. I tried to call to see if they would have it on this year, but it was difficult having a conversation over the noise at the bar. I will pass by BXL East tomorrow to confirm. There are two locations, one on 43rd St. and the other on 51st St.

EDS
03-27-2012, 10:20 PM
I know in the past that the restaurant BXL (http://bxlcafe.pregraphic.com/) showed Paris-Roubaix. I tried to call to see if they would have it on this year, but it was difficult having a conversation over the noise at the bar. I will pass by BXL East tomorrow to confirm. There are two locations, one on 43rd St. and the other on 51st St.

They are having the viewing party again this year. I think Sunday at 5:30.

ClutchCargo
03-28-2012, 08:28 AM
They are having the viewing party again this year. I think Sunday at 5:30.

Ray -- just hit me that these races will be in the morning :eek:, so a viewing party or such would be the way to go.
The Cannibal may well be doing something along those lines or running the race after it opens.
BXL looks like a good place to stop in on, in any event. Good thing, this forum!

Good luck.

:beer:

merlin3008
03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
There's a great gastropub downtown called Resto. I'm not sure if they are showing the classics but the decor features a lot of vintage cycling photos and the menu has a lot of cycling references. Might be worth a call. Great beer list.

AngryScientist
03-28-2012, 09:17 AM
There's a great gastropub downtown called Resto. I'm not sure if they are showing the classics but the decor features a lot of vintage cycling photos and the menu has a lot of cycling references. Might be worth a call. Great beer list.

the guy who owns the Cannibal also owns Resto.

Ray
03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Ray -- just hit me that these races will be in the morning :eek:, so a viewing party or such would be the way to go.
The Cannibal may well be doing something along those lines or running the race after it opens.
BXL looks like a good place to stop in on, in any event. Good thing, this forum!

Good luck.

:beer:

Yeah, they're both on live in the morning and Roubaix looks like will also be partially rebroadcast in the evening. I think I'll just have to make a couple of phone calls when I get to town. And if I miss 'em, I miss 'em. Worse things have happened!

Thanks for all of the pointers though...

-Ray