PDA

View Full Version : Achilles surgery recovery

dogdriver
03-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Hey all-- Looking for some advice on the upcoming summer. I'm 8 weeks out from surgery to re-connect a torn Achilles tendon. Spent 3 weeks in a cast, 3 weeks in a gimp boot (weight-bearing), and have been hobbling round in a shoe with 3/4 inch of heel lift for 2 weeks. I'm at a point where I can start exercising the calf a bit (think light spinning) but am not quite out of the woods in terms of risk of re-injury. I have good physical therapy and recovery guidance available, but am wondering what I can expect as far as strength recovery during the summer.

Have any of you recovered from an Achilles rupture? I asked my PT if he thought it would be reasonable to have as a goal to be in the same shape as of October as I would have been anyways, and he giggled and said something to the effect of "doubtful".

Thanks for any insights or war stories!

Best, Chris

Fixed
03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
take it slow baby steps listen to your therapist
sounds like all the bad stuff is behind you now only better times at you
cheers :)

FlashUNC
03-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Listen to the docs and don't overdo it, especially with a risk of re-injury.

I say that as I'm trying to flex my new elbow beyond 90 degrees...

Fixed
03-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Listen to the docs and don't overdo it, especially with a risk of re-injury.

I say that as I'm trying to flex my new elbow beyond 90 degrees...

what is is better than the injured supporting one another :)
i hope the elbow feels better soon
cheers

merlinmurph
03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
...when you are able to be active again, be careful with the other achilles. I've met a few people who have ruptured one, gone thru recovery, then ruptured the other soon after. The ruptures weren't accidents, they were something bound to happen eventually given the person's physiology.

It's likely that you have the same physiology in both legs, and have tight calves and tendons. This led to your rupture. To avoid rupturing the other, do stretches now on it so that it is more flexible and less prone to injury. When you start doing therapy on your ruptured tendon, don't forget about the other leg - stretch it, too.

I'm not a doctor, nor a PT, nor anything like that. I had a small achilles injury two years ago that limited me to short (one hour) rides for the rest of the year. I still feel it occasionally. I stretch both calves as much as I can now.

Good luck with your recovery,
Murph