PDA

View Full Version : OT: Manchester to Normandy

rbtmcardle
03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
My trip to see Manchester United with my son is coming up quickly and we are thinking to see the beaches/memorial at Normandy after the soccer match, we both have a deep appreciation for those who have served and especially those given their lives for our country.

Anyone have advice or experience traveling there?

Thanks.

bob

dave thompson
03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
To go to Normandy so I can honor those who are still there is on my bucket list.

maunahaole
03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
If you are going to Normandy, be sure to sample the Calvados.

buldogge
03-26-2012, 08:59 PM
My wife and I were there in 2002 or so. Pretty moving stuff.

We went to Omaha/Ponte du Hoc on a French holiday (day escapes me)...the beach/memorial/town were crowded. It was a strange juxtaposition of holiday cheer and solemn observance.

Many Americans at the memorial treat it like another tourist destination...I was moved by the number of French paying their respects...I'll never forget an entry just above ours in the guest book, by a frenchman, thanking "us" for our sacrifice.

At the same time the beach below those cliffs was crowded with sun worshippers...a beautiful day anyway you look at it.

You can take the ferry from Poole to Cherbourg with easy access to the beaches.

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
03-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Not sure how accurate they are, but be sure your son watches "The Longest Day" and "Saving Private Ryan" before going.

And download some Edith Piaf songs while you're at it.

Hokiemon
03-26-2012, 10:07 PM
My wife and I went a few years ago and we were both moved to tears. Spend as much time as you can, certainly more than one day. Do the beaches, towns and the cemeteries; and, as suggested earlier, research before you go so that you can truly appreciate what happened there. It should be an experience that you will never forget.

I live near Bedford, VA where the National D Day Memorial is located. If you can, delve into the sacrifice and loss suffered by that locality as they lost more men than any other locality per capita in the invasion.

I would also suggest that you book a tour and make sure that you visit the sheer fortified cliffs the Rangers had to climb.

Good luck and report back after the trip.

Jeff N.
03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
My wife and I went a few years ago and we were both moved to tears. Spend as much time as you can, certainly more than one day. Do the beaches, towns and the cemeteries; and, as suggested earlier, research before you go so that you can truly appreciate what happened there. It should be an experience that you will never forget.

I live near Bedford, VA where the National D Day Memorial is located. If you can, delve into the sacrifice and loss suffered by that locality as they lost more men than any other locality per capita in the invasion.

I would also suggest that you book a tour and make sure that you visit the sheer fortified cliffs the Rangers had to climb.

Good luck and report back after the trip.And read as much as you can about Hitler, Himmler, Heydrich, Goering, et. al. to know WHY those wonderful men and women Allies were there and made the ultimate sacrifice. Jeff N.

rbtmcardle
03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks all for the replies.. we have much of the history nailed already.. at least from the USA view.. my son is an avid reader and of course has just about worn out the usual DVD's related to the subject.. the only difficulty I am having is getting from Manchester to Caen or more specifically to Boyeux where the two day 18 hour tour of primarily the American beach landings and ensuing operations.. this is the most highly recomended http://www.ddayhistorian.com/tours.html#ANCHOR_Text4
best itinerary I come up with has me flying to CDG in the evening after the match and taking a train in the middle of the night to arrive at 3am... my son is up for it and we can always sleep on the plane home!!

Hokiemon
03-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I forgot to mention that we really enjoyed visiting Arommanches to see how quickly the inland port was put together. I just wish that we could accomplish such wonderful feats under normal circumstances.

I didn't see that this was on the tour that you were looking at. Also, if you can read the Bedford Boys.

Louis
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Whatever you do, don't mistake the sound of a rifle bolt for the sound of a toy clicker.

Chad Engle
03-28-2012, 09:55 PM
To go to Normandy so I can honor those who are still there is on my bucket list.

Mine as well.

rustychisel
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Have been to France three times, not made it to Normandy thus far, sadly. In 2005 my partner and I visited the Western Front battlefields of the Somme, Villers-Bretonneux, Albert, Bapaume ... the Newfoundland Regiment memorial at Beaumont-Hamel. It's all profoundly moving, in its own way, so be prepared for emotions which run hot and cold in stripes down your body. Give yourself time to deal with it in your own way if you can, rather than race in, take a few photos and race away.

Would love to hear your experiences and impressions later. When I spent time in Houffalize and Bastogne I got the feeling the tourist route was well established, and yet, look around as one might, it became very difficult to visualise that there was more than one combatant nation at the Battle Of The Bulge. German war graves are hidden away, little literature makes more than passing mention of 'the other side' etc.

Anyway, as to taking the TGV from CDG, sleep on the train, it's just a great way to travel.

cycle_chic
03-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Went to Normandy last summer and it was beautiful in a quiet and calm way. I ran up and down the beaches and played in the cool sand (wearing full clothes as it was still windy and cold). I did all of the things I thought the soldiers would have wanted me to do. They fought so people could be free and so children could play and laugh again. I did just that.

The American Cemetery is huge and can be emotionally overwhelming. Some people will be loud and annoying, but for the most part everyone is respectful and quiet as they reflect on the past.

Have a nice trip.