PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using Shimano XT (PD-M785) Pedals?

ispy
03-26-2012, 06:07 PM
This is the same pedal as the PD-M780 but with addition of integrated "cage" = slightly bigger platform.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.-code-PD-M785.-type-.pd_mountain.html

How does it work in real life with sneakers for quick 5-mile rides around the neighborhood? Currently I only have one rideable bike and for several years I've been very happy with MKS GR9 pedals and Bruce Gordon's funky but really great toeclips, yes even for (leisurely) centuries. But lately I've been itching to go clipless for the longer rides and would like to have the option of wearing non-cycling shoes without pulling out a wrench. Maybe this is not a realistic expectation but I thought I'd ask the sages here anyway.

BTW this will be my foray into clipless and based on reading past advice I've narrowed my choices down to Time ATAC or Shimano SPD (I got mountain bike shoes, for walkability). I guess that's not so narrow still though.

Thanks.

DRietz
03-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Riding in normal sneakers on these pedals is like riding in normal sneakers on the same model without the cage. The cage isn't there to make a non-clipless riding experience more pleasant, but rather the clipless experience itself.

I know a few riders on them, and have demo'd them extensively, and there is a noted difference when riding clipless. The larger platform does give you more stability in descending and a larger platform to mash on while climbing.

As a technical rider, and a weight weenie, I stick to the XTR M985 Race variety. A little more clearance, and a few grams saved.

I do recommend the caged variety for beginners, or those looking for a cleaner transition from larger-platform road cleats.

Puget Pounder
03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
I've never tried them, but Look pedals have always been great if I want to hop on my bike for a short ride without bike shoes.

rice rocket
03-26-2012, 09:02 PM
I haven't been impressed w/ the ease of release w/ my SPDs at all. With the tension dialed down, I have some inadvertent releases, but with it dialed up, I feel like I have to snap my ankles to get it to release.

I think I'm going to try TIME XROCs next, everyone says the release is buttery smooth in comparison to SPDs.

fourflys
03-26-2012, 09:07 PM
it's funny, pedals are like saddles... I love my SPD's and am planning on a picking up a set of the ones mentioned...

MANY love speedplay road pedals and I couldn't stand them...

DavidR
03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
i just bought these same xt pedals a couple of months ago for the exact reason that I can jump on my 29er and ride the neighborhood with my son or family. They work great as most spd pedals do. When I was looking for a new set of pedals for my 29er these seems to peak my interest with the larger platform. Riding on the trail it seems very easy to clip in from any starting position since you can just put your foot down and start riding.

All in all I give them a very positive report. For the money you cant beat them. I think I picked mine up new for about $65. Enjoy!

DRietz
03-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I haven't been impressed w/ the ease of release w/ my SPDs at all. With the tension dialed down, I have some inadvertent releases, but with it dialed up, I feel like I have to snap my ankles to get it to release.

I think I'm going to try TIME XROCs next, everyone says the release is buttery smooth in comparison to SPDs.

Have you tried them in the middle? As I recall, there are about 15 points of adjustment...

rice rocket
03-26-2012, 09:23 PM
it's funny, pedals are like saddles... I love my SPD's and am planning on a picking up a set of the ones mentioned...

MANY love speedplay road pedals and I couldn't stand them...

Agreed. I love Shimano's road pedals, I have the DA7810s and they're fantastic, but I can't bring myself to like the SPDs on higher tensions needed to stay clipped in on the trails. I don't have the most expensive SPD pedal (I think it's the one below the XT?), but they haven't left me wanting to upgrade to their more expensive offerings.

Have you tried them in the middle? As I recall, there are about 15 points of adjustment...

I kept dialing up the tension until I stopped unclipping accidentally, so it's at the lowest tension I can have without breaking my balls (literally). Maybe my cleats are all boogered up from walking on them and high tension is causing them to catch on some spot that isn't high enough to hold it on? I'm not sure.

WR3K
03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
i have these pedals for my full suspension.

if you want to ride in these with sneakers, do not let the cage fool you, you will still only make contact with the top most pieces of metal.

not as satisfying as you may be suspecting for a normal shoe.

the cage, like others said, is for when you are clipped in with riding shoes.

DRietz
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
I kept dialing up the tension until I stopped unclipping accidentally, so it's at the lowest tension I can have without breaking my balls (literally). Maybe my cleats are all boogered up from walking on them and high tension is causing them to catch on some spot that isn't high enough to hold it on? I'm not sure.

My only pro tip? Triflow on the cleats. Works every time. ;)

vqdriver
03-26-2012, 11:54 PM
This is what you need
SPD on one side. Standard platform in the other.
Bonus. You may be able to mount those Gordon clips on the platform side.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/shimano-pd-m324.jpg

Rudy
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM
I have several sets and like 'em fine. Tired of mincing around in racing shoes/cleats (try downclimbing a Rocky Mountain road cut to discretely "go" in those kind of slippers) so walkable Freds and the above-mentioned pedals are just right. They're plenty okay in street shoes, too, even flaps.

vqdriver
03-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Actually, forget the part about mounting the Gordon clips. They'd be a danger hanging down when using the clipped side.

Rudy
03-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Vq: got a pair of those pedals, too. Struck me as inspired when I bought them. I find them heavy and low cornering when on the spud side. Clearly not for toeclips.

Ray
03-27-2012, 06:09 AM
This is what you need

Those are tanks and good for town bikes, but if you want a decent road spd pedal with enough platform to get around on, but not overwhelming, these work pretty well. I have these on my fixie/single speed (on the trainer with a derailure and gears at the moment).
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A530-Dual-Platform-Pedal/dp/B002NVJEOM/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

-Ray

dogdriver
03-27-2012, 07:37 AM
I have a pair of the previous model (look about the same, all silver cage) on my mountain tandem. I also usually take them along on my S&S Surly Traveler's Check if I anticipate using the bike for local transport. They seem to work fine. They're heavy, so don't consider them if that's a big deal to you. Easy to clip into since the mechanical half of the pedal is always up, and the platform seems to work fine with sneakers, sandals, etc.

ispy
03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks I will take a look at these too!

p.s. Love bacon. And anchovies... the bacon of the sea.

This is what you need

ispy
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your insights. Really helpful. Good to know that the larger platform helps with clipped riding.