PDA

View Full Version : wide rim wheels

lovethesport
03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Has anybody had experience with the new wide rim wheels?Zipps 303 particularly.
Are they as good as the some of the reviews?

dave thompson
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Not Zipps but all my bikes are on 23MM rims; HED C2 and Velocity A23. Love 'em and they will be on my next bike too.

Likes2ridefar
03-26-2012, 02:34 PM
i've ridden the 404 firecreset clinchers and thought they were great. i also prefer the wider aluminum rims but have only HED astogne wheels.

had i the choice, i'd not use the narrower rims anymore.

I also think the stan's wheels or rims are worth checking out. a few cycling buddies are using the pro model setup tubeless this year and they all love them and most have used HED wheels as well as the zipp firecrest.

old_fat_and_slow
03-26-2012, 02:49 PM

binouye
03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
I have a set of the Velocity a23s and I'm very happy with them. I haven't tried any carbon rims, but do have several other AL rim wheels to compare -- however each set has different hubs (DA, White Ind, Am Classic, etc), spokes (bladed or not), and rims (Mavic, Kinlin, Sun, DT), so its hard to isolate the benefits of the wider rim from other aspects of the build.

chwupper
03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
I also ride A23s. I've had them for about a year and really like them a lot (paired with White Industries hubs), but I'm inclined to agree with binouye -- I can't be totally sure what impact the wider rim has on ride quality. I wonder if tire/spoke choice has a more direct impact on feel?

astaft
03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
I have a set of Hed C2 built up with Campy hubs and Pave 24mm clinchers on them. I like them.

giverdada
03-26-2012, 05:18 PM
i built up a front wheel with a velocity A23 and 28 spokes and it's lovely. continental poly-x-breaker tire in size 25 and the wide rim just roll so smoothly in the straight and in the turns. love it. a lot. will be building with wide rims from here on out. looking forward to putting one on the rear for my cross bike. *i know nothing of aerodynamics though, and that may be what you're asking about if you're looking at wide 303's. the 303's my wife was on were cushy and very very smooth to ride, but i don't think they were the very wide rims.