PDA

View Full Version : Cassette woes..how to tell...

veggieburger
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
So my 9 speed ultegra cassette goes clickity click in the 3rd and 4th (from the bottom) cogs. I'm the second owner so I have no idea of the mileage, but I'm assuming the cassette is kaput. With a chain, you can check stretch. Is there a way (other than noticing slippage) to check the life of your cogs?

Thanks!

eddief
03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
but i be thinkin you got a pilot error goin on. STI wants and needs to be dialed in. i love it when it is dialed in, but have been known to throw tools trying to get it there.

veggieburger
03-25-2012, 07:56 PM
but i be thinkin you got a pilot error goin on. STI wants and needs to be dialed in. i love it when it is dialed in, but have been known to throw tools trying to get it there.

Entirely possible. Some kid at the bike shop set it up for me...thanks!

gone
03-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Usually if the cassette is worn the teeth will look a little notched compared to an unworn cassette or lesser used cogs. I usually compare the ones I use all the time (the middle of the cassette) against the biggest/smallest cog and if they look different I and I'm noticing noise I assume the cassette is done.

stien
03-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Cassette teeth will look sharky and worn away if they're bad. Totally possible.

nighthawk
03-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Did you have new cables and housing installed recently? If the housing wasn't cut to adequate lengths, or installed properly you could have some drag on the rear derailleur cable, which would keep the rear derailleur from aligning properly...

..or check for worn/broken teeth on the individual cogs in question....

AgilisMerlin
03-25-2012, 09:02 PM
extremely baked cogs, will cut my finger when i run it over them. my experience.

stretched chains will only gel with deep valley worn cogs. And eventually pop pop pop

.o2cent