PDA

View Full Version : With all this talk about carbon...

SoCalSteve
08-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Which of these carbon bike frame have you owned/own now and what did/do you like about it? Or dislike for that matter...

Calfee
Parlee/Hampsten
Crumpton

The reason I ask is because I recently sold my Fondriest Carbon Lex and want to replace it with another all carbon bike. Being tall and short legged, I do need custom (even though a custom carbon frame is very expensive).

All comments, opinions, thoughts and flames welcomed.

As always, thank you all in advance for your knowledge and experience,

Steve

PS: If there are any other all carbon bike frame manufacturers (that do custom) that I have missed, please inform me. (I'd prefer to keep it in the good ol' U S of A).

cs124
08-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Steelman do custom carbon, albeit with Dedacai Carbon System (has been described as plumber's pipe by some).

bostondrunk
08-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Calfee Tetra Pro.
It was perfect, really. I sold it after 4 years just to get something different (which turned out to be much worse....)

1centaur
08-27-2005, 08:22 AM
I own a Tetra, a Crumpton and a Parlee. They are all excellent bikes with exceptional ride qualities and top notch construction. You won't go wrong with any of them.

A key consideration may be looks - the gussets on a Calfee and thinner tubes vs. fatter tubes on the other two. Calfee is heavier but possibly more shock absorbing (with extra stiff as opposed to super stiff tubes). The Crumpton has the nicest (least visible) joint transitions. Crumpton and Parlee (Z1x) ride very similarly, with the wishbone (Crumpton) vs. traditional seat stays being maybe the biggest difference, and not much of one at that. All have a great combination of apparent BB efficiency and road compliance.

After that it's down to the level of subtleties that may or may not be figments of one's imagination. Parlee feels taut and tight - could be the seat stays - while Crumpton feels mellow but I seem to ride faster on it. Calfee feels like heirloom construction quality because it has a bit more substance. Nick was great to work with and really gets the thought that paint can make the bike. The Crumpton seems like the bargain if wider tubes are your favored look. The Parlee is undeniably a fantastic bike. The Calfee is also an excellent choice.

Go by looks, price and your feel for the company and you won't be disappointed (but prenegotiate price on painting for Parlee carefully or pick your own painter unless you want to be treated like a money no object customer).

jeffg
08-27-2005, 09:39 AM
A stock Calfee is crit-style, geometry, a Parlee looks like it copied Seven's stock geo from a few years ago. Upcharge on the Calfee is $500/1000. I much preferred the way the Parlee rode, but you got to get out on one to tell cause all these frames aint cheap, though the Tetra is the best deal if the ride/handling add up for you.

Saxon
08-27-2005, 03:50 PM
I have a Tetra Pro but never had a chance to ride the others mentioned. I like the quality and feel. In stock geometry, mine does have a much more responsive front end than a Serotta, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you're looking for. Stock Calfee geos seem to work much better for me than the stock Serotta Geos. I've got shorter legs with a longer torso.
For what it's worth...
Sax

Fixed
08-27-2005, 04:04 PM
I had a Trek 5500 in 2002 the chainstays cracked twice they fixed it both times ,sold it when it came back the 2nd time.I never liked the ride and it rattled a lot. I grew up riding steel and nothing that I have tried feels as good or right for me.Cheers

vaxn8r
08-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Calfee Tetra Pro.
It was perfect, really. I sold it after 4 years just to get something different (which turned out to be much worse....)
Ditto. Still own mine :)

weisan
08-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Cyfac (http://veloeuropa.com/home.shtml)

I don't own but here's another custom carbon framemaker based off in France.

e-RICHIE
08-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Cyfac (http://veloeuropa.com/home.shtml)

I don't own but here's another custom carbon framemaker based off in France.

ask the coach...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=70734&postcount=35
(insert fruit here):

Saxon
08-27-2005, 11:51 PM
I've been giving this some serious thought...
http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=506

The Spider
08-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Saxon, you read the part about the Bamboo splitting and being repatched...imagine if that happened 3 days before your big race.

When you've got one of everything (Steel, Alu, Ti, Carbon, Mag) now you have an option!

Kevin
08-29-2005, 05:28 AM
PS: If there are any other all carbon bike frame manufacturers (that do custom) that I have missed, please inform me. (I'd prefer to keep it in the good ol' U S of A).

How about the new Serotta? You could be the first kid on the block with the new bike.

Kevin

Saxon
08-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Saxon, you read the part about the Bamboo splitting and being repatched...imagine if that happened 3 days before your big race.

When you've got one of everything (Steel, Alu, Ti, Carbon, Mag) now you have an option!
Yeah, I'm wondering how much the hemp patching is really going to support those splits in the bamboo. I would imagine it would get to the point where there are so many patched splits, the frame (at least the ride) would be compromised. You may need to consult an arborist!

Ken Robb
08-29-2005, 02:16 PM
as a real estate broker I have to know if the buyer gets a termite clearance.

ThylacineCycles
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
I own a Tetra, a Crumpton and a Parlee. They are all excellent bikes with exceptional ride qualities and top notch construction. You won't go wrong with any of them.

A key consideration may be looks - the gussets on a Calfee and thinner tubes vs. fatter tubes on the other two. Calfee is heavier but possibly more shock absorbing (with extra stiff as opposed to super stiff tubes). The Crumpton has the nicest (least visible) joint transitions. Crumpton and Parlee (Z1x) ride very similarly, with the wishbone (Crumpton) vs. traditional seat stays being maybe the biggest difference, and not much of one at that. All have a great combination of apparent BB efficiency and road compliance.

After that it's down to the level of subtleties that may or may not be figments of one's imagination. Parlee feels taut and tight - could be the seat stays - while Crumpton feels mellow but I seem to ride faster on it. Calfee feels like heirloom construction quality because it has a bit more substance. Nick was great to work with and really gets the thought that paint can make the bike. The Crumpton seems like the bargain if wider tubes are your favored look. The Parlee is undeniably a fantastic bike. The Calfee is also an excellent choice.

Go by looks, price and your feel for the company and you won't be disappointed (but prenegotiate price on painting for Parlee carefully or pick your own painter unless you want to be treated like a money no object customer).

Were all these frames the exact same specs?

slowgoing
08-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Calfee feels like heirloom construction quality because it has a bit more substance.

I don't know what this means.

Splain, Lucy!

Serotta PETE
08-29-2005, 07:05 PM
ask the coach...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=70734&postcount=35
(insert fruit here):

:no: :no:

Red wine for e-richie

Serotta PETE
08-29-2005, 07:06 PM
How about the new Serotta? You could be the first kid on the block with the new bike.

Kevin

3rd....on the "EAST COAST" block at a minimum.

1centaur
08-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Were they the exact same specs?

Here's what I posted elsewhere in Serotta land today to answer that question:

http://forums.bicycling.com/thread.jspa?threadID=138313&tstart=0

Heirloom quality: There is a solidity to the Tetra that comes from its extra weight, that is reinforced by its calm indifference to broken pavement, that is exemplified by its lack of creaks after several years of riding, and that is confirmed by inspecting every inch of it closely while washing it that suggest it will last and perform as designed for many, many years. Could I really leave it as an heirloom? Who knows? But I used two words rather than 50 to save the bandwidth. The Parlee and Crumpton are lighter, do not feel as substantial, and I have had them many fewer miles, so I am not yet ready to declare them "heirloom quality."

cinelli
08-30-2005, 08:15 AM
I have owned 3 Calfees: wonderful ride, very light, finish was less than spectacular, gusseted lugs seem a little "dated".

Owned one Parlee that never got ridden: very light, better finish, lugs appear to be better thought out and stylish.

Just my $.02.

Jeff Weir
08-30-2005, 08:32 AM
My LBS just recieved delivery of one of Calfee's Bamboo Frames. I'm not sure how it rides, or how long it might last, BUT, it is one wild looking frame!

flydhest
08-30-2005, 09:26 AM
"calm indifference to broken pavement"

hee-hee.

That's a funny turn of phrase.