PDA

View Full Version : hack 'n attach... create a bike

Dekonick
08-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Anyone ever thought about taking a bike, and cutting the TT and downtube - then have new tubes attached?

Thinking like this:

Take hors, and attach a different front end. For example; if one found a Hors in the size that works, but has too short or long of a TT - couldn't an experienced frame builder hack n attach new geo tubes?

any idea what it would cost?

Who would do it? Bilenky? IF?
could a steel front be attached to Ti?

Just curious...

Brian Smith
08-26-2005, 09:38 PM
with lugged steel, this yields a super good remaining product,
with welded metals, it can still be good and worth doing,
with lugs and bonded tubes, you're stuck with something really close to the original geometry.

steel cannot be reliably welded to ti, so a new steel front end is not the way to go unless you're going to weld ti lugs and bond steel into them.

Too Tall
08-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Stand away from the computer....authorities have been notified (Smiley) and will arrive to arrest your butt for Serottaheresy(tm).

Dekonick
08-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Oh; Don't worry. I am not talking about my present Hors. That bike will remain as it is forever.

I am looking around for another Hors - I remember a '56 on the demo site awhile back that had a TT length for stretch armstrong. I lusted and thought about hacking it to fit but wasn't sure if it could be done.

I dunno - I was just wondering if it could be done - and was thinking of all of the possibilities. How about a S&S setup with different fronts? say, a carbon/ti lugged mix, longer TT, shorter TT, lower front, lots of options.

Ride characteristics?

Who knows?

:)

Uh oh... gotta run and hide. Smiley arrived and looks possessed... :D