PDA

View Full Version : shipping handlebars

vqdriver
03-25-2012, 01:44 AM
handlebars seem to be one of those odd items to pack and ship. not heavy, but fantastically space inefficient. anyone ship bars lately? how much does it run?

FixedNotBroken
03-25-2012, 01:51 AM
If you can do it right, I ship bars via USPS for around $8-13 dollars depending on the box..You can custom cut boxes to make them work but they don't seem to like the flat rate priority ones. I just find random boxes or drive to the LBS to ask for a box/whatever they have that might work.

gomango
03-25-2012, 07:26 AM
I go to the local grocery store and ask for a box used for shipping oranges.

Not at all space efficient, but I just shipped some bars a week ago and it was about $11 priority.

skijoring
03-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Toner replacement boxes from a large photo-copier worked great in my case; about an inch of space on either side of the bar (44 or 46 CM), with plenty of room for packing peanuts or bubble wrap.

jghall
03-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Yep, was going to say the same. See if you can find an empty toner replacement box. Works well and they are generally pretty strong/durable boxes.

buldogge
03-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Most bars are light enough with packing to go Parcel Post. I like to cut the box down into a triangular shape to minimize size.

As someone else stated $8-13. I usually assume $10 shipping on handlebars when pricing them.

Makes the ~$25 I paid for express shipping for (2) bars, (2) tires, cassette, RD, and chain from Shinybikes in the UK last time seem pretty reasonable!

-Mark in St. Louis

FixedNotBroken
03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Most bars are light enough with packing to go Parcel Post. I like to cut the box down into a triangular shape to minimize size.

As someone else stated $8-13. I usually assume $10 shipping on handlebars when pricing them.

Makes the ~$25 I paid for express shipping for (2) bars, (2) tires, cassette, RD, and chain from Shinybikes in the UK last time seem pretty reasonable!

-Mark in St. Louis

Agreed. It depends on the weight/dimension. I do priority or express and if it's more than I estimated, I'll pay out of pocket for people on here but on the bay I usually estimate a tad more to be safe.