PDA

View Full Version : use for old wheels?

flydhest
03-24-2012, 05:39 PM
So, I bought a set of used Campy Protons some years ago. Great wheels. Light enough, strong, and so on. I raced on them some and trained on them a ton. A month ago, for my team's spring training camp, I lent them to a teammate. As he was taking off the cassette to give them back, the last cog got stuck. Turns out, the freehub split along its length. He took them to the shop that sponsors us, and their collective view was the wheels are toast. I'm inclined to believe. The rims are pretty well worn and concave. I paid something like $200 for them a few years ago and a new freehub body is north of $100. Seems not worth it. I posted a WTB in the classifieds for a used freehub but no dice.

Any thoughts on uses? The hubs good for anything? Clearly would still need a freehub body.

Thoughts?

thwart
03-24-2012, 06:39 PM
You could eBay them for kicks.

I was watching a complete Proton rear hub a couple of wks ago; it brought ~$40 + $11 shipping. Nice for parts.

Tony T
03-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Any thoughts on uses?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/garden/how-to-turn-abandoned-bicycles-into-hanging-lamps.html

:D:D

old_fat_and_slow
03-24-2012, 06:51 PM

CoKeithRecord
03-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Mount it to a post in your yard, add some fins, paint and viola, windmill yard art!

djg
03-25-2012, 10:17 AM
So it's a question about the rear wheel? I gather the front is still fine as a spare wheel?

I think it's gotta be partly a question of the amount of time/patience you have for this. At some point a matching rear, with maybe a trashed rim or some other problems, could yield a matching freehub and then the possibility of rebuilding the wheel. Not sure it's worth it, but that's your call. Maybe offer up the wheel with all the issues disclosed to see if it's worth a salvage to somebody else? If it weren't a clincher, I'd say it could at least be used to stretch tires in the meantime.

godfrey1112000
03-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Craiglist could be your friend

zap
03-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Trash.

Let the cycling masses know via various means the day before trash pickup and see what's left.

singlecross
03-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Trash.

Let the cycling masses know via various means the day before trash pickup and see what's left.

Aluminum recycles.

Or get some glass and make a coffee table...

singlecross

gpl916
03-25-2012, 01:04 PM
I was in my LBS the other day and they were using an old rim as a hanging rack on the wall. Might make a good tool/coat hanger for the garage.

They had cut an old rim about in half, then cut one of the halves into 4" sections. They took the first part and mounted it to the wall, and the sections were then sccrewed to that to use as hangers.

I thought it was interesting as I was considering using old parts (such as shift levers) to make a coat hangar for my bike themed work shop.