PDA

View Full Version : Shallower Rims in the Pros

Uncle Jam's Army
03-24-2012, 04:39 PM
I was watching today's stage of the Volta a Catalunya and was struck by the majority of riders riding wheels with approx. 30-35mm rims. There were a few staggered wheels in there, too, and some deeper rims, but the majority were riding really shallow rims, at least compared to what I have been seeing in recent years. It was a fairly flat stage, too, so not a climbing stage by any means. Anyone venture a guess why the switch to shallower rims?

robin3mj
03-24-2012, 04:55 PM
What was the weather like?

Pretty horrific a couple days ago,yeah? Maybe it was windy or they wanted aluminum brake tracks for the wet.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-24-2012, 04:56 PM
What was the weather like?

Pretty horrific a couple days ago,yeah? Maybe it was windy or they wanted aluminum brake tracks for the wet.

Beautiful, dry day. Not windy.

1centaur
03-24-2012, 06:35 PM
As long as we're guessing...

Cost vs. effect. Shallower wheels cost the sponsor less and are more comfortable to ride than deeper wheels. Most members of the peloton really don't need the aero benefits of deeper wheels as they'll spend limited time out front or in a breakaway; their legs won't benefit from the aeroness so much but the weight difference will effect them very often. Mid-depth wheels seem like a decent compromise all the way around and can show the sponsor logos well enough.

rwsaunders
03-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Were the roads rough?

robin3mj
03-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Beautiful, dry day. Not windy.

Ha! Then I got nothin'

oldpotatoe
03-25-2012, 07:48 AM
I was watching today's stage of the Volta a Catalunya and was struck by the majority of riders riding wheels with approx. 30-35mm rims. There were a few staggered wheels in there, too, and some deeper rims, but the majority were riding really shallow rims, at least compared to what I have been seeing in recent years. It was a fairly flat stage, too, so not a climbing stage by any means. Anyone venture a guess why the switch to shallower rims?

Better ride, easier on brakes(as opposed to deep carbon), potentially more reliable...looks better, more traditional.