PDA

View Full Version : Question about price for used Douglas Fusion...

67-59
03-24-2012, 04:25 PM
I have an entry-level bike that I use occasionally, but an acquaintance of my wife's is looking for a reasonably priced road bike for her 18-year old son. I'm willing to part with it to get a nice kid into cycling, but the wife wants me to figure out a "fair" price. The acquaintance and her son don't know much about bike values, so they're trusting us. And my wife wants the price to be reasonable, but also would like a little extra cash.

Anyhow, the bike is a Douglas Fusion (Colo Cyclist house brand) from about 2002. Alum frame with carbon seat stays and Reynolds Ouzo Comp fork, all Ultegra 9 drive train, Cane Creek headset. I have some slightly used and varied saddles (Sellle SLR, Brooks B17, etc) I'd let him take and try - keep whichever works best, and a Dura Ace seatpost. Also a couple of bar/stem combos he can try. All parts are in good working order - drivetrain still shifts great.

This was my first bike after switching from running to biking after a back injury. Used it regularly for about a year until I figured I wanted to keep biking, so I got my Kirk. Since then, it has mostly sat in the basement, and occasionally gotten a few miles on the trails and a brief, futile attempt at commuting. Odometer says about 3,500 miles.

Can't recall exactly what I paid, but I think maybe $1200 or $1300. I'm thinking maybe $400-500ish, but could probably talk the wife into asking less if the group thinks this is too much. I'd also throw in some used but usable kit that I was thinking of selling here - coupla bibs and jerseys to get him started.

Thoughts?

pdmtong
03-24-2012, 05:37 PM
This is an old bike that wasnt worth much to start with. I think that outside of this 18yo buyer, there aren't any other buyers. You used it, and have moved on. If you don't sell it to him, it just sits getting in the way and collecting dust. I'd say "give" it to the kid for $300, so they have some money left over for helmets, gloves, etc. The "extra" $100 or so you might "make" you'll get back in psychic income - helping a kid get into something you/we all love. That's what I'd do...short of just giving it to him period.

I recently did that with my '99 s-works full-susp mtb...full xtr....easton carbon post/bars etc....maybe $4k at the time. I just gave it to a friend of mine who needed a bike. I never thought to do that since I am a craigslist fiend, but in the end it made the most sense. He got a great bike for his needs and I felt good giving it to him.

FWIW...