PDA

View Full Version : ALLERGIES rant and advices/tips

vav
03-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Anybody that suffers from spring allergies like me?
I am sitting in front of the PC with the most beautiful weather outside because on Thursday I went for a ride and got so much pollen on my eyes that developed a conjunctivitis and as a result I have to stay home for the next 3-4 days. Every spring is the same. I ride, pollen gets in my eyes, and I suffer for a few days. A lot of times I just don't ride for fear of what is next.
Tips? MDs browsing the forum? Allergists? I have thought of swimming googles or something similar to cover my eyes in full.
What have you done that workde for you?

nauqneyugn
03-24-2012, 11:10 AM
(Pharmacist) What are you doing now?

93legendti
03-24-2012, 11:31 AM
My allergies have been bad as well. I don't have problems with my eyes, although I do prefer sunglasses that cover more, rather than less. I also like nasal rinses...OTC and no side effects. Oh, and Zyrtec.

ultraman6970
03-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Forget the pills those wont do anything definitive to the problem and pretty much next year will be the same situation pills and more pills...

My allergies were super bad to beging with, second, go to the throat and nose doctor and tell him/her that you would like to try an inhaler with "steroids" like rhinocort or fluticasone type of thing. That medication is for people with asthma and serious respiratory problems, but will cut the nose and eyes problems almost right away.

I decided to use that thing after 3 years ago i got like asthma attacks around 2am, happened twice in 1 week so went for it (i had the drug but never willing to take it because it was an inhaler), 1st time used it 3 times during the season... the second year did not use it... 3rd year used it once... i have not used it this year yet, but so far no symptoms yet.

I got the recommendation from a friend that told me the same that I'm saying to you, if you want to stop the problem just use in inhaler, the steroids will fix (per say) whatever is wrong that is causing you the problem. If you are kind'a UCI rider no idea if it will show up as a doping or not, if not give it a shoot, but go to the doctor because u cant get that under the counter.

Good luck.

93legendti
03-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Forget the pills, but take the steroids?

Hartlin
03-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Neti Pot, morning and night.(if your sinuses are effected)

Has done wonders for my sinuses and haven't used any OTC remedies, or prescribed sprays in years.

Viper
03-24-2012, 12:31 PM
eyes:

http://www.drugstore.com/zaditor-antihistamine-eye-drops/qxp162607

As mentioned, Netti Pot for rinse. Nasonex for nose when bad. Steam.

cycle_chic
03-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Buy some local raw honey. The tiny traces of pollen that are in the honey will act as an immune booster. No drugs. Just a simple, natural solution.

efleigh
03-24-2012, 12:53 PM
bike goggles

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac334/nickh001/oldschool.jpg

Louis
03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Do you wear contact lenses? If so, have you tried going with glasses instead?

vav
03-24-2012, 01:33 PM
(Pharmacist) What are you doing now?

Vigamox, Allegra and Zaditor. Vigamox stopped the yellow discharge from my eyes. They are still very very red but at least I am not discharging like yesterday.

weiwentg
03-24-2012, 01:44 PM
if your allergies are severe enough to actually stop you from riding, then you might want to see an allergist and get shots. I'm doing this.

Bob Loblaw
03-24-2012, 02:01 PM
See an allergist. Also, motorcycle goggles are available in Many styles with a foam cup around the lense to protect your eyes.

BL

Matt-H
03-24-2012, 02:03 PM
I would think a saline eyewash immediately after a ride would help to get some of the pollen out.

Also, if possible, don't ride before 10 am as pollen concentrations are highest between 5 and 10 am.

ultraman6970
03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Tried this like 3 years in a row just to keep wife :X and did not work at least for me... :/ Worked for one of my friends, he was saying the symptoms were not that bad after wards...

Buy some local raw honey. The tiny traces of pollen that are in the honey will act as an immune booster. No drugs. Just a simple, natural solution.

ultraman6970
03-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Is not a thing of taking the drug daily man... probably the 1s time will be like twice in the whole season and the next year season the symptoms will me gone or mild enough to survive only with the eye drops.

For the eyes that is something i never been able to cure 100% I use something called pataday that has antihistamines in it. Last time I used it was last year.

Forget the pills, but take the steroids?

pdmtong
03-24-2012, 05:43 PM
For me, accupuncture. went from a half a box of kleenex a day to nada.
YMMV

flydhest
03-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Alavert seems to work pretty well for me.

Crazy thing for me, I live in Washington, DC, grew up here. Furthest away I have lived is central Jersey, and that for only five years. Didn't develop allergies until my mid- to late-30s. I had thought I was immune.

Plum Hill
03-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Contact wearer here. Optometrist gave me a sample bottle of Bepreve.
It's working wonders.

ultraman6970
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
You are allergic to the darn cherries man... and with the time you finally develop the allergies because you body can't keep up with the darn tress. Before living in the area never had problems but i knew i was allergic to another tree that is really close to the cherry blossom ones. When we move to the area darn... 1st year started with the issues... knew what tree was it.

The most stupid thing happens in the area too, the news always say the concentrations of pollen in the air but have u ever noticed they never say which is the pollen that got more concentration in the sample took??? I bet is the cherry.

Easy to prove... go west to the mountains, a lot of trees but no cherry blossom trees, bet the symptoms will be mild. Done the experiment :/

Alavert seems to work pretty well for me.

Crazy thing for me, I live in Washington, DC, grew up here. Furthest away I have lived is central Jersey, and that for only five years. Didn't develop allergies until my mid- to late-30s. I had thought I was immune.

henry14
03-25-2012, 12:42 AM
I use Zyrtec and when my eyes are red and itchy, I use Alcon Naphcon A eye allergy relief eye drops. They take a lot of the red out for me.

deechee
03-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Long time allergy sufferer.

I'm not sure if getting goggles will make a difference. Isn't the conjunctivitis due to histamines being released? I'm guessing you're inhaling the allergens through your nose and mouth, and very little gets in through your eyes. But I'm no health professional.

Drugs and a nasal spray are enough for me. (And I get itchy eyes.) I've never been told to use a corticosteroid (or variant), and I have been prescribed those before, but only for a nagging cough. In my case I had to experiment with drugs - some work better than others; and some had side effects like insomnia or headaches.

I've tried allergy desensitization shots for about three years - depending on the amount of allergens identified, you might have a lot of shots. I started with 3 shots, 2x a week or something like that. Not only do you have to go to a clinic that often, you have to wait around for half an hour afterwards to make sure you don't have a reaction. It can get really boring. Long story short, Yes, it did help, but it wasn't worth the cost in money or time. Also, I did this while I was in school and there was a university clinic. I can't imagine going to a clinic/hospital that frequently now.

Besides talking to a doctor and getting prescription drugs, try avoiding allergens outside of riding time. In the car, I use the A/C 90% of the time during allergy season. The A/C filters out the pollen. At home, think about investing in a hepa filter. A modern filtration system can have them, or you can pick up individual units for rooms.

PQJ
03-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Another long-time sufferer. Although I live in place that is very very bad for allergy sufferers, I haven't suffered in the past 3 years. I take Astelin spray once daily and use Neil Med sinus rinse 2x day (though I now mix my own). Both done religiously and it has made a world of difference.

Probably the most important thing I do by far for sinus sanity is the sinus rinse.

tiretrax
03-26-2012, 09:03 AM
I have severe allergies and asthma. I have taken everything imaginable - shots, inhalers, pills. As a child, I slept in a tent with Cystics Fibrosis medicine pumped in.

My allergist sold me a NeilMed sinus rinse kit 8 years ago - sinus rinse daily is very helpful - I've been able to quit the allergy shots and inhalers.

Also, shower and wash your hair and face immediately after you're outside. That will help tremendously. Pollen gets trapped in your hair and gets on you pillow at night, so wash the pillowcases more often than normal.

Keep riding - do exercises to increase your lung capacity. Keep your house free of dust, pet dander and other indoor allergen/pollutants.

I don't see how goggles will help unless you're getting a lot trapped in your eyes. Inhaling the stuff is the problem. You might want to wear a mask that covers your mouth and nose.

You might have to skip riding for a few days - the pecan trees haven't pollinated yet, but when they do, there's a green haze in the air. I skip riding on those days (about 4-5).

veloduffer
03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
I use Zyrtec and when my eyes are red and itchy, I use Alcon Naphcon A eye allergy relief eye drops. They take a lot of the red out for me.

+1 on the Naphcon. It's the only eye relief that works well, and I've tried many.

Elefantino
03-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Allergy life has been sh*t since the government pulled Seldane off the market.

OK, so Seldane sometimes made your heart stop if you were taking certain other drugs or drank grapefruit juice. A small price to pay.

And, sure, the company released Allegra, but it's not as good.

Bring back Seldane! :help:

Steve in SLO
03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Local (this is the key) bee pollen has worked well for me. It is available at most natural food stores.

Steve in SLO
03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Local (this is the key) bee pollen has worked well for me. It is available at most natural food stores. I also pop a sudafed prior to riding when it is really windy and wash or towel off my face immediately upon return, since the pollen caught on your face goes straight to your eyes in the sweat that drips in when you stop riding.

Viper
03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Allergy life has been sh*t since the government pulled Seldane off the market.

OK, so Seldane sometimes made your heart stop if you were taking certain other drugs or drank grapefruit juice. A small price to pay.

And, sure, the company released Allegra, but it's not as good.

Bring back Seldane! :help:

:banana::hello::banana:

wooly
03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
I too suffer from horrific allergies during the spring. It came much earlier this year. I take Claritin-D everyday but during spring, it's pretty useless. After consulting my MD, I started using the generic version of Flonase. I have to say, after two weeks on the stuff, I am feeling much better. No sneeze attacks, better ability to breathe, no itchey, watery eyes. Just one snort in each nostril a night and I'm a believer.

deechee
03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
One other note, don't expect allergy meds to work for you after the fact. Its really important to take them before your symptoms arise. If you know you're riding tomorrow, start taking the antihistamines today.

Seramount
03-27-2012, 09:37 AM
have suffered with severe allergies for over half a century...just assumed it was part of the deal and dutifully endured the itchy, scratchy, watery eyes, sinus congestion, etc etc.

have tried every Rx and OTC med available...most were ineffective and/or turned me into a zombie.

a little over a year ago, I tested positive for gluten sensitivity and have changed my diet to exclude it.

my allergy symptoms are dramatically reduced. I now wake up in the mornings and have full air flow which is a revelation...no snot-purging for two hours just to get beyond being a mouth-breather.

anecdotal evidence for sure, but my life is vastly improved whatever the reason.

nighthawk
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Like most natural solutions.. I think this just takes time (and patience).. it's more a long term affect.. getting you (local honey consumer) accustomed to local pollen. On the same note, drinking tea from stinging nettle leaves will also help long term acclimation to local pollens/allergens.

Tried this like 3 years in a row just to keep wife :X and did not work at least for me... :/ Worked for one of my friends, he was saying the symptoms were not that bad after wards...

bheight1
03-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Bee sting allergy here. Makes for plenty of hot riding--cap under helmet and jersey zipped helps keep out the bees. I also wear full finger gloves more.

bikestudga
03-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Nasal flushes have worked great for me. It keeps the ill-effects of Atlanta's pollen down to a manageable level.

Viper
04-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Massage.

I know it sounds weird, but if you take the back of your thumb and press (in the middle, where it turns to cartilage on the BROW of your nose) your nose flat for a few minutes...while inhaling/exhaling through your nose...and squish it side to side as well...for maybe five minutes...your nose will drain like a opened dam. Blow your nose out several times during this. You'll be shocked how much it'll clear out. You'll hear clicking and popping noises as your sinuses open and drain.

I also inhale through my nose...Tea Tree Oil, diluted into Saline Nasal Spray. I REFUSE to take the chronic doses of allergy drugs. Once a winter the congestion wins and I have to take Nasonex, but 11.5 months of the year I win with the above. My gym has a great steam room and I do Darth Vader breathing in there. You can Google nasal massage and also Tea Tree Oil + sinus.

Good luck.

steampunk
04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
I use OTC drops called "Zaditor." A drop/eye right before I step out to do something (yardwork, bike ride, etc). No watery, itchy eyes.