PDA

View Full Version : OT: High school track

rwsaunders
03-23-2012, 08:08 PM
No bounties, no point shaving, no secret filming of practice and no whining...just a plain old enjoyable Friday afternoon watching amateur athletics. Our middle kid is competing in the pole vault, long jump, 110m hurdles and 300m hurdles and I must say, it is a pleasure to watch these kids compete.

Louis
03-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Neat.

Back when I lived in another area one of my routes took me by some soccer fields where kids from about 7-12 in various leagues would play. What a blast it was to watch. I'm sure it was frustrating as all heck for the coaches, but a hoot for the disinterested audience members like me.

thwart
03-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah, HS track is really great fun to watch... :banana: Good times all around, pun intended.

But... here in the upper Midwest, in March or April, if your kid runs the 4 x 800 (1st event) and 2 mile (2nd to last event), you better bring warm clothes. Lots and lots of 'em.

Meets typically run 3 to 3.5 hrs. :eek:

robin3mj
03-23-2012, 09:16 PM
That brings me back. The schedule is pretty similar to ours when I was younger. I was a middle distance guy who always wanted to run the shorter races, but coach said no go, and I'd run 800/1600/3200.

Our team was pretty strong so often the meet would be decided before the 2 mile but he'd make us run it as training. 8 laps, In the dark. All the parents have gone home. They'd decide not to run the 4x4 at all, so we'd come off the track and everyone would be gone or on the bus. Fun stuff.