PDA

View Full Version : Another Stainless Steel Tubing Question

jghall
03-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Ok, wanting to pick the minds of those with any experience.

I am looking at picking up a second hand stainless steel frame. Dimension wise the frame fits, but I hover around the 180-190lb range and the frame in question has 31.7 down and 28.6 seat/top tube dimensions.

Thinking at my weight, I may be boarder-line with the smaller tubes?

Some additional info if needed. Live in flat Indy, so no real hills to speak of. Am pretty light/smooth rider on a bike. Non racer. Just looking for a nice steel bike to add to the stable.

Thanks for the time.

Kontact
03-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Tube diameter only tells a small part of the story. Wall thickness is just as important. There have been 5 "models" of stainless frame tubing that I can think of, and all of them had multiple wall thicknesses available.

There is no way of answering your question.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Ok, wanting to pick the minds of those with any experience.

I am looking at picking up a second hand stainless steel frame. Dimension wise the frame fits, but I hover around the 180-190lb range and the frame in question has 31.7 down and 28.6 seat/top tube dimensions.

Thinking at my weight, I may be boarder-line with the smaller tubes?

Some additional info if needed. Live in flat Indy, so no real hills to speak of. Am pretty light/smooth rider on a bike. Non racer. Just looking for a nice steel bike to add to the stable.

Thanks for the time.

Those dimensions don't tell any story. I hae had many steel frames of those dimensions, and am .1 offa ton w/o any issues.

Earl Gray
03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
You are only going to get the answer you want from THE builder of the bike.

No one else is going ot know and no other builders are going to chime in with the limited info.

However, I will assume you are in the 5'10" range. You are a pretty standard weight and I can not imagine that any bike that fits you was designed around someone considerably lighter than you. Maybe 20/30 ponds max and that won't make much of a difference.