PDA

View Full Version : wheels a la oldpotatoe are delicious

akelman
03-21-2012, 07:02 PM
I had oldpotatoe (Peter at Vecchio's (http://www.vecchios.com/)) build me a set of wheels, and they couldn't have turned out nicer. He was about as easy to work with as you can imagine: quick to answer questions, turned around the order faster than scheduled, etc. I'm sampling ergott's and echelon_john's work later this spring, and I'm sure I'll be equally pleased. But for now, I wanted to mention that you won't be disappointed if you turn to Peter for your wheel-building needs.

hokoman
03-21-2012, 07:07 PM
nice, i placed a call earlier today and sending my hubs in..... :beer:

firerescuefin
03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
What did he build you?...going on the Peg?

Louis
03-21-2012, 07:10 PM
As long as he doesn't deliver them in the shape of a Pringle's potato chip. :p

Z = X^2 - Y^2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/HyperbolicParaboloid.png/220px-HyperbolicParaboloid.png

akelman
03-21-2012, 07:13 PM
What did he build you?...going on the Peg?

Yup. I had him lace a set of silver Record hubs to some silver A23s.

Liv2RideHard
03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Yup. I had him build me a set of silver Record hubs to some silver A23s.

Hows about some pics of them sexy wheels...

What spokes did you use?

akelman
03-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Hows about some pics of them sexy wheels...

What spokes did you use?

He went with double-butted DTs. I wanted this set of wheels to be totally durable; they're designed for riding rough roads without worry. As for pics, I promise to post some once I find the time to build the Peg. There's no doubt in my mind that that will be long before Louis builds up his Kirk.

FixedNotBroken
03-21-2012, 07:17 PM
He went with double-butted DTs. I wanted this set of wheels to be totally durable; they're designed for riding rough roads without worry.

What's the weight on those guys?

don compton
03-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Yup. I had him lace a set of silver Record hubs to some silver A23s.
I have two sets of wheels you described, built by my LBS. I just never want to try any of my other wheelsets. :beer:

akelman
03-21-2012, 07:22 PM
What's the weight on those guys?

No clue, to be honest. Like I said, I wasn't even considering weight when I asked Peter to build these. I just wanted a set of wheels that would be comfortable, durable, and worry free. Even still, I don't think they weigh more than 1600 grams or so (without skewers, of course). Which is to say, they don't feel much heavier than any of the other wheels in the shed (except for some of the stupid-light stuff I have in there).

don compton
03-21-2012, 07:26 PM
I have been saving my silver 10sp Record hubs. I have one set from the 9 sp days that I finally had my LBS rebuild the rear hub. The hub is smooth as silk and the wheelset with these hubs is my go to wheelset. :beer:

TMB
03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
I had oldpotatoe (Peter at Vecchio's (http://www.vecchios.com/)) build me a set of wheels, and they couldn't have turned out nicer. He was about as easy to work with as you can imagine: quick to answer questions, turned around the order faster than scheduled, etc. I'm sampling ergott's and echelon_john's work later this spring, and I'm sure I'll be equally pleased. But for now, I wanted to mention that you won't be disappointed if you turn to Peter for your wheel-building needs.

I got silly busy last spring and reached out to Ergott to build me some wheels (I would normally do this myself), Alchemy hubs on Major Tom rims. Something like 1450 gms for the set.

Beautiful wheels.

teleguy57
03-21-2012, 08:54 PM
TMB,

Are you using the Major Toms for CX, or road? Thanks!

TMB
03-21-2012, 09:32 PM
TMB,

Are you using the Major Toms for CX, or road? Thanks!

Road, lovely wheels.

Sapim spokes all around. Nice wheels.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2012, 06:23 AM

Mille grazie-

benitosan1972
03-22-2012, 06:57 AM
This thread sounds like a great endorsement for custom wheels & Vecchio's service.

Nice to hear! :beer: